ABUS Pedelec 2.0 Overview from Interbike

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys, while attending Interbike this year I got a video overview of the ABUS Pedelec 2.0 helmet. I met a rep named Norman Semmling (General Manager of North America) who was wearing some cool Adidas shoes with US and Germany flag pins. We looked at a few of their new helmets because I was given a black one a while back but prefer the color white for visibility. Chris Nolte, from Propel Bikes, showed me the new Pedelec 2.0 model which is rated for faster ebike travel on speed pedelecs up to 45km/h (28mph). This helmet has a built-in backlight for safety that is USB rechargeable, a small visor, a bug stopper mesh in the front vents, and a rain cap that stows in a little compartment at the back. The rain cap has reflective paint on the sides for even more safety and uses a magnetic buckle for convenience. It sounds like they have medium and large sizes for now and the price is around $149.

The helmet I was gifted a while back is called the ABUS Ace and has a non-rechargeable coin battery inside to run the light. I was actually given two helmets, and gifted the other one to Ryan along with the custom Propella. I was showed that there is a screw securing the light unit from the back that can be removed for replacement. ABUS is a leader in folding locks, chain locks, u-locks, and helmets for bicycling.

At the very end of the booth tour, we looked at their wheel hardware which uses gravity to unlock. You tip the bike onto its side and the hub or bolt cover releases, revealing a bolt that you can unscrew to remove the wheel. This video is an ad because ABUS has given me helmets and is an advertiser on ElectricBikeReview.com I'm writing this to be more transparent with my content and will continue to communicate ongoing about how other content is funded. To run the forums, host the site, and travel, I have introduced a service fee for my reviews and some in-depth videos. My goal is to be transparent and unbiased, this video and post are not meant to be an endorsement.

Attachments

• abus-pedelec-2-ebike-helmet.jpg
    abus-pedelec-2-ebike-helmet.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 750
Last year when they showed the Pedelec+ at Interbike (I think - maybe Eurobike), I was eager to get that. But later heard it wouldn't be sold in the US. It looks like the Pedelec 2.0 is the US version? Looks like they have the same features ...

I just ordered a Pedelec+ from Germany. Visually they look the same. I think the only functional difference is the Pedelec 2 has the rechargeable rear light.

Availability on the Abus website is January 2019.

Lacks a chin guard. Everytime I spill off the bike, I hit my chin, not the back of my head. Five times in five years. Broke chin in 2017.
The obsession of all media with protecting the back of the head mystifies me. As the references to lack of helmet on a scooter rider that was found fatally injured under a SUV in Washington DC 9/21/18.

Back