Abus 5750 Frame Lock / Turbo Como frustration

zachw

Region
USA
Well this is disappointing.

Not previously having seen threads here on the Abus 5750 frame locks and the Turbo Como & Vado, I ordered two of them for our Como 3.0s (I have the regular, wife has the step-through). We wanted them keyed-alike, and they had to be ordered from Germany because my wife wanted the style in which the key always stays in the lock until the bike is locked (common in Europe but not sold in the US.)

Took about 10 weeks to arrive (with some delays because the LBS hadn't done this before and needed some intervention from a very helpful Abus rep.)

There are no mounting points on the Como, so you need mounting straps. The idea is simple enough but quite frustrating to install (and the instructions are crappy) and I was cursing the entire time. Try as I might, I could not cinch the straps tight enough. This is a huge problem since the seat stays narrow gradually and vibration could easy cause the strap to move, causing the lock to move enough to hit the tire or - worse - the spokes. (It can't be mounted above the bike rack mounts, would have been nice.) One time a piece of the strap mechanism popped off while trying to tighten the mounting screw. Even mounted as advertised, it just seems sketchy.

Two pics attached. One shows it in the installed position but not tightened. The other shows the strap mechanism with the piece popped off.

I've seen a couple posts a while back from folks expressing frustration with this lock. Anyone else have a good hack to keep this properly attached? In the meantime, I now have two keyed-alike frame locks that don't seem to be of use for this bike and may have to rethink my security strategy!

Attachments

• 5750a.jpg
    5750a.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 665
  • 5750b.jpg
    5750b.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
I have seen people use zip ties to the stays as opposed to the Abus kit worth more success. Not quite as elegant. A skilled shop could also drill into the frame and make traditional mounts for it. That’s what Court’s friend in DC did with his Como from what sounds like the same generation as yours.

I have seen people use zip ties to the stays as opposed to the Abus kit worth more success. Not quite as elegant. A skilled shop could also drill into the frame and make traditional mounts for it. That’s what Court’s friend in DC did with his Como from what sounds like the same generation as yours.
The first video I ever saw with a Como and a frame lock did just that - drilled into the frame. That voids any warranty, and my LBS wouldn't even do it when I asked about it.

Heard about the zip ties, wasn't keen on relying on their integrity over time, but while typing this I remembered there is such a thing as metal zip-ties Going to look into that - I really would like a frame lock.

Last edited:
Well this is disappointing.

Not previously having seen threads here on the Abus 5750 frame locks and the Turbo Como & Vado, I ordered two of them for our Como 3.0s (I have the regular, wife has the step-through). We wanted them keyed-alike, and they had to be ordered from Germany because my wife wanted the style in which the key always stays in the lock until the bike is locked (common in Europe but not sold in the US.)

Took about 10 weeks to arrive (with some delays because the LBS hadn't done this before and needed some intervention from a very helpful Abus rep.)

There are no mounting points on the Como, so you need mounting straps. The idea is simple enough but quite frustrating to install (and the instructions are crappy) and I was cursing the entire time. Try as I might, I could not cinch the straps tight enough. This is a huge problem since the seat stays narrow gradually and vibration could easy cause the strap to move, causing the lock to move enough to hit the tire or - worse - the spokes. (It can't be mounted above the bike rack mounts, would have been nice.) One time a piece of the strap mechanism popped off while trying to tighten the mounting screw. Even mounted as advertised, it just seems sketchy.

Two pics attached. One shows it in the installed position but not tightened. The other shows the strap mechanism with the piece popped off.

I've seen a couple posts a while back from folks expressing frustration with this lock. Anyone else have a good hack to keep this properly attached? In the meantime, I now have two keyed-alike frame locks that don't seem to be of use for this bike and may have to rethink my security strategy!
I don't know if this would work but it is what I used to attach the Abus lock to my Creo. Not sure about tapered seat stays but maybe the double straps would hold against the wider and narrower areas???

So here is version 0.1 of the lock mount for the Abus 5750 using nylon cable ties.

Currently this consists of three ties around the seat stay on each side, one below the rack mount that goes through a hole in the 5750 and two above that go around the lock. Those are important for keeping the lock from moving from side to side - you definitely don't want it to swivel into the spokes when you are riding! There is also another critical tie that goes through the top seat stay ties and around the seat tube. This prevents the lock from sliding down and hitting the tire.

The lock properly needs a fixed mounting on a bike. The Abus mounting strap is really a crappy - and potentially dangerous - workaround for more than one reason. You are relying on the friction of a single strap - and you really cannot cinch these down super tight - to keep the lock from moving from side to side OR down the tube. Plus, the heavy part of lock body is not held tight against the frame - the mounting strap keeps the bulk of the lock mostly suspended an inch or so below. It weighs only a pound and a half, but the bulk of it is going to be doing a lot of bouncing against a pivot point on a not super secure strap. It would be interesting to hear from anyone (on any bike) that uses this with confidence. I know I wouldn't bet my safety on it.

Anyway, this looks crude, but it'll work until I come up with something better. Want to try out coated steel cable ties next, maybe with only two on each seat stay.

Attachments

• abuslockmountv1.jpg
    abuslockmountv1.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 370
So here is version 0.1 of the lock mount for the Abus 5750 using nylon cable ties.

Currently this consists of three ties around the seat stay on each side, one below the rack mount that goes through a hole in the 5750 and two above that go around the lock. Those are important for keeping the lock from moving from side to side - you definitely don't want it to swivel into the spokes when you are riding! There is also another critical tie that goes through the top seat stay ties and around the seat tube. This prevents the lock from sliding down and hitting the tire.

The lock properly needs a fixed mounting on a bike. The Abus mounting strap is really a crappy - and potentially dangerous - workaround for more than one reason. You are relying on the friction of a single strap - and you really cannot cinch these down super tight - to keep the lock from moving from side to side OR down the tube. Plus, the heavy part of lock body is not held tight against the frame - the mounting strap keeps the bulk of the lock mostly suspended an inch or so below. It weighs only a pound and a half, but the bulk of it is going to be doing a lot of bouncing against a pivot point on a not super secure strap. It would be interesting to hear from anyone (on any bike) that uses this with confidence. I know I wouldn't bet my safety on it.

Anyway, this looks crude, but it'll work until I come up with something better. Want to try out coated steel cable ties next, maybe with only two on each seat stay.
So you don't think the one I mentioned would work on you frame?

Not sure, it's hard for me to picture. The one pic that I saw on a bike had a different style cafe lock and it was mounted more or less vertical. Only a few reviews, a number of them saying that pieces were missing. But maybe I'll try it, free returns. Thanks.

Well, I owe you a beer or coffee or whatever. That Axa mounting kit worked perfectly and I just ordered another one to replace the cable tie hack on my bike. Thanks!!!

(Going to try to fold the straps neatly rather than cutting them off since it may not be possible to reinstall with short straps if I need to remove the lock.)

5750axa.jpg

Well, I owe you a beer or coffee or whatever. That Axa mounting kit worked perfectly and I just ordered another one to replace the cable tie hack on my bike. Thanks!!!

(Going to try to fold the straps neatly rather than cutting them off since it may not be possible to reinstall with short straps if I need to remove the lock.)

View attachment 121468
Glad it worked out. I did cut the straps but not flush. I, too, want to be able to potentially remove or reposition things. I'll be greedy and ask for both a dark brew and a decaf coffee! Enjoy. I attached one of those colorful "jelly" spring coil bracelets to the key. I then pocket the key and place the RED bracelet on my handlebar to remind me the lock is engaged so that I don't roll the bike and damage the spokes.

Glad it worked out. I did cut the straps but not flush. I, too, want to be able to potentially remove or reposition things. I'll be greedy and ask for both a dark brew and a decaf coffee! Enjoy. I attached one of those colorful "jelly" spring coil bracelets to the key. I then pocket the key and place the RED bracelet on my handlebar to remind me the lock is engaged so that I don't roll the bike and damage the spokes.
Ha, yes, a good suggestion.

Back in my motorcycling days I used a Remove Before Flight streamer to help remind me to remove the disc brake lock...

1651059250305.png

I really like how easy it is to tighten, nice design.

(Hey seriously, PM me a PayPal account & I'll give you a tip! This saved me a lot of aggravation and mental energy thinking about improving the cable-tie hack.).

I really like how easy it is to tighten, nice design.

(Hey seriously, PM me a PayPal account & I'll give you a tip! This saved me a lot of aggravation and mental energy thinking about improving the cable-tie hack.).
That's very generous but I will wait till I can collect in person. Seattle, potentially LA in Summer or Iceland in Fall! :)

That's very generous but I will wait till I can collect in person. Seattle, potentially LA in Summer or Iceland in Fall! :)
Live in Seattle for about six years circa 1980, loved it.

Iceland is near the top of our travel list, especially for the aurora borealis.

For the 2022 Turbo Vado (big), I found the CAD drawings for the ABUS 4750X frame lock. According to an e-mailed response from Specialized, this model has the correct dimensions to fit the 2022 Turbo Vado frame and rear wheel. Trying to find anyone who will admit to stocking one of these units is a challenge I'm afraid, but I thought I'd put this information out just in case supplies become available. I have not yet been able to find one of these 4750X's to confirm the fit.

Please note that there are two variations, the 'X' and 'XL'. Only the 'X' version will fit.

I should also mention that Specialized support claims to have adapter plates available for the ABUS 5750.

Attachments

• technical_drawing_4750X_XL _3.jpg
    technical_drawing_4750X_XL _3.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 268
I did look at that model as well. Ran into the same issue you are (availability). I agree that the measurements should fit though.

For the 2022 Turbo Vado (big), I found the CAD drawings for the ABUS 4750X frame lock. According to an e-mailed response from Specialized, this model has the correct dimensions to fit the 2022 Turbo Vado frame and rear wheel. Trying to find anyone who will admit to stocking one of these units is a challenge I'm afraid, but I thought I'd put this information out just in case supplies become available. I have not yet been able to find one of these 4750X's to confirm the fit.

Please note that there are two variations, the 'X' and 'XL'. Only the 'X' version will fit.

I should also mention that Specialized support claims to have adapter plates available for the ABUS 5750.
I'm in the UK. The 4750X is not shipped here. I could buy it from Holland etc but shipping and taxes are an unknown since Brexit.
My bike is a Specialized Como 4 (2022) which has screw mounting points for a frame lock at 108 mm spacing.
The 4750 XL is available. I don't understand your comment as to 'it will not fit'. Both locks are exactly the same size externally, with same dimensions on the mounting slots. The XL has a larger cutout, so should be easier to fit. Have made up a 1:1 scale card template and this fits perfectly. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

I'm in the UK. The 4750X is not shipped here. I could buy it from Holland etc but shipping and taxes are an unknown since Brexit.
My bike is a Specialized Como 4 (2022) which has screw mounting points for a frame lock at 108 mm spacing.
The 4750 XL is available. I don't understand your comment as to 'it will not fit'. Both locks are exactly the same size externally, with same dimensions on the mounting slots. The XL has a larger cutout, so should be easier to fit. Have made up a 1:1 scale card template and this fits perfectly. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
I went with the 5750L myself, and it fit perfectly on my '22 Vado 4.0. Is that an option for you? I've seen some others that went with the 5755 (L?), which I believe is the updated version of the 5750L that I ordered.

Peter, it has been a while since I looked at the difference in the fit between those two models, but I know that I had to use the top mounting holes on the 4750X and they were almost too far apart. If I remember correctly, my 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0 mounting holes are 92mm apart on center. The 4750XL appears to have a larger minimum distance for those top holes (97mm?), so it would be very close. If the top bolt holes on your template shows it will fit, then I believe you.

I should also note that the 4750X is just wide enough to clear the sidewalls on the stock tires, a little over 1/8 inch on each side. The other model 4750XL definitely has the advantage on tire clearance.

Peter, it has been a while since I looked at the difference in the fit between those two models, but I know that I had to use the top mounting holes on the 4750X and they were almost too far apart. If I remember correctly, my 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0 mounting holes are 92mm apart on center. The 4750XL appears to have a larger minimum distance for those top holes (97mm?), so it would be very close. If the top bolt holes on your template shows it will fit, then I believe you.

I should also note that the 4750X is just wide enough to clear the sidewalls on the stock tires, a little over 1/8 inch on each side. The other model 4750XL definitely has the advantage on tire clearance.
FYI the Vado and Como mounts are different - Vado is 90mm and Como is 100mm according to Specialized. What fits one may well not fit the other. Note that Specialized recommends the 4750XL for the Como and the 5750 for the Vado. I can attest that the 5755L fit my 2022 Vado 4.0 - this uses the improved XPlus key cylinder.

From https://support.specialized.com/turbocomo/en/components-compatibility/lights-racks-and-fenders

1665059909879.png

Back