About to purchase a new electric bike

jfr1310

I am 75 years old and I’m interested in purchasing a new electric bike. After looking at your bike reviews, and having gone to my local bike shop to try various electric bikes I just about decided to order a dust drop. I just saw an email about the new level step through bike that is $1000 less than the dust drop. I am Willing to pay the extra thousand dollars for the Dost drop if the quality of the components and the bike is worth the extra money I would like your opinion as to whether the components and quality of the Dost drop make it a better choice than the new level step through. JFR

JFR, I like the Dost as well but am very hesitant on purchasing as I am 6'4" and am not sure that will work for me. I know they have a 14 day return policy but don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back if it does not fit. Other than that concern, I think its a great Ebike for the price point.

You might want to read the EBR reviews for both bikes. Dost is a mid drive. Level is a hub drive. You may also want to compare specs.

You might want to read the EBR reviews for both bikes. Dost is a mid drive. Level is a hub drive. You may also want to compare specs.
I did read the reviews and looked at the video. I also looked at Dost on Facebook. It looks like a mid drive motor is preferable from a weight distribution standpoint, but if there is a chain issue you could still get home with a geared rear hub motor. Some o the people on Dost’s Facebook report the chain slipping off of the crank arm. . And of course the Level is $1,000 less The level has a slightly better derailer and a three amp charger. Another negative is the throttle on the Level only works once you ar moving. My real question is the Dost bike and it’s components worth the extra money Will it last longer, be more comfortable or be more fun to ride or like many things in life be an unanswerable question. I am looking for a comfortable easy to ride bike that will go up and down hills with a throttle and that is reliable and that is a step through.

Hi, I am a new member that made the plunge 5 weeks ago (Magnum navigator). Here are a few things that I would recommend considering before making the plunge: 1. how will you use the bike - for exercise, commuting, pleasure, how far do you plan on riding, how often? 2. how big are your hills - the incline. Typically they say mid-drives are better for that but if you have not that bad of incline the rear hub should be fine. 3. servicability - that could be an issue for people who do mail order -- a lot of local bike shops will only service what they sell. I had a few issues and it was a good thing that I bought from a local bike shop. 4. You mentioned the throttle - i have one that works from a standstill. having a bad knee and back, it sure is great to be able to start from a standstill and then start pedaling.

In terms of Dost components lasting longer - it would be difficult to say - Dost is a relatively new company. I would have seriously considered their step-over bike, but I wanted a bike right away and was not willing to wait until they were available in september or october.

The Dost is to pricey imho, the level is priced better.

Hi, I am a new member that made the plunge 5 weeks ago (Magnum navigator). Here are a few things that I would recommend considering before making the plunge: 1. how will you use the bike - for exercise, commuting, pleasure, how far do you plan on riding, how often? 2. how big are your hills - the incline. Typically they say mid-drives are better for that but if you have not that bad of incline the rear hub should be fine. 3. servicability - that could be an issue for people who do mail order -- a lot of local bike shops will only service what they sell. I had a few issues and it was a good thing that I bought from a local bike shop. 4. You mentioned the throttle - i have one that works from a standstill. having a bad knee and back, it sure is great to be able to start from a standstill and then start pedaling.

In terms of Dost components lasting longer - it would be difficult to say - Dost is a relatively new company. I would have seriously considered their step-over bike, but I wanted a bike right away and was not willing to wait until they were available in september or october.
I'm new and considering a Magnum Metro or Navigator. Also MAYBE a Gazelle City Zen 9. Not sure I want to go mid-drive. Since you settled on a Magnum Navigator, I wanted to know what you considered and what went into your final choice. Thanks.

availability for my price range -- i simply did not want to wait 3-4 months for a bike to come in. I had the choice between the magnum metro and Navigator - i liked the ride of the navigator much better -- felt much better than the metro, which has 26" tires versus 27" for the navigator.

I just bought a Magnum Metro low step. For me one good advantage is the throttle. I doubt I will use "throttle only" but what I like about an ebike with Throttle is that at a full stop (even if slightly uphill) you can get restarted with the throttle when the light turns green and once going go to pedal only or PAS only. Makes life a bit easier. Apparently Aventon has a throttle but will not be accessible from full stop...so if that is the case, then this full stop ability is not available. If you do get an ebike with Throttle and want this extra "boost" at a stop sign or red light make sure the throttle can be activated at that point. Makes a big difference IMHO.

I recently purchased the Magnum Navigator as my third e-bike and I love it. I have two “higher end” Haibikes - the SDuro Cross 9.5 (Bosch Performance Cx low step Hybrid) and the SDuro Full Seven 7.0 (full suspension EMtb); My husband has a BH Easy Motion Evo City Pro which is a hub drive, and a Haibike SDuro Full 9.5LT. . . so I have lots of experience riding different styles of e-bikes. I ride street, gravel and off road single track in the mountains and desert of Western Colorado. I decided on the Navigator after learning I could not realistically expect to get the Gazelle Ultimate T10+ until next year. Despite some initial skepticism about the capabilities of a hub drive on hills, my experience has been surprisingly positive. I can cruise up the Colorado National Monument (steep and winding road) with minimal effort and plenty of battery. The Navigator has a very comfortable upright riding position, and the step through is a nice change from my low step options. I typically get between 35-45 miles on a full charge with smart battery management, and I find Level 3-4 are my primary levels of assist. The hub drive motor produces a “different” type of power, and the extra speed (limited to 25) is enjoyable on the open road. I rarely use the throttle - I think it seems like a desirable option, but in actual practice I only think about using it as a boost to get across traffic from a full stop. The Magnum Navigator is a great bike for the price point based on the features and components.

Wow E-Rider, that’s a great collection of ebikes, something I aspire to. If so, might need to build a bigger garage for them.
Agreed on the throttle option. I would like it for all the stops and starts of city cycling but it would need to activate from a dead stop. Seems like many of them activate only after moving a couple miles per hour.

when I got the navigator, which allows you to activate from a full start, I didn't think i would really use it, but it has been great to get a start at a light and then pedal without having to change gears all the time. I don't think I could live without it now.

Totally agree. There is sometimes a lag when starting up from a full stop, especially on any kind of incline. Just knowing you can give the throttle a little nudge is reassuring. I think my hub motor is slightly more noisy than my mid-drive Bosch bikes, but I find myself choosing to ride the Navigator more often. I still think the Navigator is a very versatile bike for all levels of riders - that doesn’t get much attention. . .

I really like the Dost Kope. It's my very first choice but they have so many backorders that they are not shipping until Feb or April 2021 - so buy no get it in Feb/April 2021.
I needed an ebike right now so bought the Aventon Level
Both bikes have throttle
trust me you made the correct choice Dost make cool bikes but they are overpriced. no BBS02 powered bike should cost $2800 you have got to be kidding, i know the Dost has the option for a Piggyback battery but that does not justify $2800 imo.

Back