A difficult choice between Trek and Specialized

John O

Trying to decide between a Trek Super Commuter 8s and a Specialty Turbo Vado
For in city commuting and recreational riding.... very similar bikes each with strengths and limitations
Any thoughts out there on the best of the two?

I have not owned or ridden either. I have dealt with Trek and Specialized as a service manager. Trek is a bit better in that regard. My impression between the two bikes is that I never hear of issues with the Trek, but with Specialized, people complain about the Mission Control app. Also, the Bosch motor seems somewhat more bulletproof than the Brose, but again, this is merely my impression from reading the forums.

FWIW, I think both are overpriced. The Giant Quiet E+ does virtually the same thing for significantly less money, as does the Raleigh Redux iE and iZip Moda. But if value is not an issue, I'd probably go with the SC+ 8s.

Trying to decide between a Trek Super Commuter 8s and a Specialty Turbo Vado
For in city commuting and recreational riding.... very similar bikes each with strengths and limitations
Any thoughts out there on the best of the two?
I am deciding between these same bikes. What did you end up doing?

Have you ridden them both? Which felt better? If they felt equivalent, go with the one with the better warranty. If their warranties are equivalent, go with the bike shop whose staff were the best. If the staff were fine in both shops (or it is the same shop), go for the bike with the better color paint. If the paint is the same (almost all are asphalt or blacktop these days), flip a coin. ?

I wrote the previous response before I read that you had made your choice. So here is a question for you: what made you choose that bike over the other?

Have you ridden them both? Which felt better? If they felt equivalent, go with the one with the better warranty. If their warranties are equivalent, go with the bike shop whose staff were the best. If the staff were fine in both shops (or it is the same shop), go for the bike with the better color paint. If the paint is the same (almost all are asphalt or blacktop these days), flip a coin. ?
Very good advice. Rode a Vado yesterday and really liked it.

Back