800 mile update on schwalbe marathon e plus for giant explore 3

Gary K

Just completed 800 miles on my new schwalbe marathon e plus tires. They are a fantastic tire for the giant explore. I run them at between 35-40 front and 40-45 rear. They perform very well in dry, wet and light sand. I found them to be very grippy in fast turns and running lower pressures absorb small bumps and provide a very nice ride. At 800 miles, not much wear is showing even though I’ve used the tires on paths and gravel.

Attachments

• 2EA3508F-1F0B-4192-8524-9F2C8D51E3A4.jpeg
    2EA3508F-1F0B-4192-8524-9F2C8D51E3A4.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 927
I have 5600 miles on mine. but I ahd three flats in back and just had a puncture last week but the green stuff fixed it.

NO FLATS. I have over 2,000 miles on mine. Running 700x50 on my FLX Roadster. No slime or liners. Stock tubes. BEST TIRES I have ever ridden. From the looks of the tread wear, I expect another 2-4,000 miles,maybe more.

Just completed 800 miles on my new schwalbe marathon e plus tires. They are a fantastic tire for the giant explore. I run them at between 35-40 front and 40-45 rear. They perform very well in dry, wet and light sand. I found them to be very grippy in fast turns and running lower pressures absorb small bumps and provide a very nice ride. At 800 miles, not much wear is showing even though I’ve used the tires on paths and gravel.

What size did you fit and is there much room for going larger than factory? I see those are made in up to 2.15".

I just got a 2020 Explore about 4 months ago. They came with tubeless tires; I've never had them before. I do multi day tours some in remote areas far from bike shops. I'm told these tires can be very hard to get off the wheels and that fixing a flat on the road can be difficult. Any thoughts? Thanks

My experience is changing tires on my Explore E+ 4 is a simple straight up process. It's a 10 minute routine job, no problems. Don't understand what people are having issues with.

I had to take the tire off multiple times on my Roam E+ which has the same tire/rims as Explorer E+. Without proper tools (tire levers made of strong plastic or metal) they are very difficult to take off or put on. Also, making sure it's seating properly takes some effort as well.

I'm assuming that a tire lever is a part of everyone's mobile toolset. I have put ON a set of tires without any lever but it's not easy nor recommended. Taking OFF a bike tire I use a lever. Still it's Easy Pleasey Lemon Squeezy

Update from Sep 2020. I now have over 6500 flat free miles on my Marathon E-Plus 700x50 tires. I usually pump to 52lbs and ride for two weeks before another pump up. 100% road riding. I do plan on switching them out at 7000 miles with the same new tires. Probably don't need to...but have some long bike trips planned in other states soon. Good tires!

That's a nice tire rcdanner. My Big Apple tires have proven to be reliable and surprisingly capable on most everything but tiny-grain gravel roads. I ride extra cautious thru those spots. I don't know about mud. I don't do mud.

I'm assuming that a tire lever is a part of everyone's mobile toolset. I have put ON a set of tires without any lever but it's not easy nor recommended. Taking OFF a bike tire I use a lever. Still it's Easy Pleasey Lemon Squeezy
Initially I had crappy tire levers from Amazon and they did not help much. Got Liv brand levers from Giant store and they work very well. I was hoping that I don't have to use them though, just got my 4th flat the other day. Also, learned from this and tried to put the tires on without levers, and it works!! Even the Giant store service manager told me they are the pain in the a** so I thought it wouldn't work.
Now, I'm not afraid of the flats and tire changes anymore. I would still avoid it if I could though.

Back