7 speed option

Augiesma

I’m considering the Model R bike and debating about whether or not to get the 7 speed option. All of the extras are really adding up. I have a Blix ebike and rarely change the gear so I’m wondering if it’s worth it, but then again I’d hate to skip it and then regret it. Does anyone have this bike without the gears and do you miss it?

A bit off topic for the OP: Very soon into my exploration of ebikes I came to the question of why so many gears on ebikes. Now that I have one with an Ultra motor I find I really don't need all ten it came with. However ... I guess with a cassette it must be necessary not to have large jumps in between cogs. ( ? ) Five cogs would be enough for me. Those are the ones I use and most of the time I use just two. Like 4th and 6th. And occasionally 2nd and 7th. 10th is really overkill and 1st is scary/dangerous if I'm actually going fast enough to need it. The efficacy of one those double click enabled derailleurs now comes home to me. I'm guessing this is probably different with Eurobike motors?

I’m considering the Model R bike and debating about whether or not to get the 7 speed option. All of the extras are really adding up. I have a Blix ebike and rarely change the gear so I’m wondering if it’s worth it, but then again I’d hate to skip it and then regret it. Does anyone have this bike without the gears and do you miss it?
Hello I would for sure recommend a 7 speed . I would rather have it and not needed it, then need it and not have it

What would be the benefits of a 7 speed if one is living in flat type terrain ?

Having a 7 speed transmission will help if you loose your battery. It will help when you want to go slower or faster and will allow you to match your assist levels more easily

It's hard to know what Augiesma may have eventually decided on, but deciding on single speed vs. multi there's a few more factors beside just the average grade or level or if you live in a flat area. One common example would be an unimproved trail or even a gravel or limestone trail that has higher rolling resistance, the slower speeds on those surfaces might make your pedal cadence too low for comfort. Accelerating from stops, esp. ones on driveway aprons that have a much higher grade % than the surrounding terrain can be quite hard too - even the full legal power geared hub motors cannot always get you started up from a dead stop on a steep apron all by themselves depending on total weight. It's sometimes easier on your joints, knees in particular, to be able to bump up the pedal cadence while delivering the same amount (watts) of human power, so you are putting less torque/pressure through your legs and knee joints. And as mentioned, if or when you run out of battery, it helps to get the mechanical advantage of gears to get you home. The same thing applies if you are trying to conserve your battery on longer rides, you would use less/lower assist modes and be going a slower speed, and the gears will help you find the most comfortable cadence for you personally at that lower economizing speed so you can still optimize your human power input :)

I have a 7 speed ebike and use them all. Can help conserve battery . Sometimes I shut motor off on slight downhill to conserve battery. Sometimes I shut off motor when riding with analog bikes. Better to have them and not need then being stuck in one gear and miserable.

Back