5k Budget - Which Commute Bike?

Erich995

I plan to purchase a bike ($5,000 range) this spring.

I was looking at the 2020 Specialized Vado 5.0 (which looks to be replacing the 6.0 - at least spec-wise) and the 2019 Trek Super Commuter+ 8s. Since my initial research, I have also been reading up on bulls, riese/mulller, juiced, and stromer but was leaning toward one of the "mainstream" brands (giant, trek, specialized, cannondale, raleigh).

My Scenario - The bike would be used for work commute - 40 miles round trip (20 miles each way). Mostly flat, mostly paved with some unpaved areas that are "groomed". Some stop and go but mostly go. I have decided on a class 3 - 28mph. I would also like to use it for some camping trips that may have a little rougher trails in certain areas (nothing extreme), but that would be optional in my decision - the primary use is work commute.

The weather around here will not be good enough to test ride for about a month and some brands/models will be difficult to find test bikes for. For around 5,000 and using it for the scenario described above - which bike would you buy?

I'm doing a 42 mile commute on a juiced ccs. You definitely want a class 3. I suggest a big battery. Be sure to put a mirror on it. I'm with you on the weather. My bike has set in the basement all winter.

I like the solid ride on the Strom or the Trek 8S. Another solid bike would perhaps be one of the Haibike Trekking models. You certainly have a lot of choices in your price range. Seems like you would get good support on all 3 brands. Local support may be your deciding factor. Good Luck with your future purchase.

$5,000 is a terrific budget that gives you lots of options. Keep in mind that a Class 3 is not "trail legal" but is only legal on streets. I doubt anyone will question you when you are on those trails when camping, as long as you ride within the appropriate speed limits for cycling on trails.

Happy shopping!

The Stromer ST1X is a great bike and priced at $4999. The Gazelle CityZen Speed is $3999. Either would be great for your needs. Also consider the new Benno Boost Speed at $4800. That would be a great camping platform also.

Last edited:
Can I ask how tall you are, your age and what your health is like. I think these factors should be considered.

Based on your description I think you should opt for wide tires to handle different terrain and a suspension fork at least. Having a Bosch motor would ensure a wide network or dealer support if you chose to travel with your bike and it will help you keep the bike on the road for years to come.

Also - where are you located?

My personal recommendation would be a R&M GT HS bike whether it’s a Nevo or a Charger. The 2019 Haibike Trekking S 9.0 will also be a hot bike this year at a good pricepoint.

"mainstream" brands (giant, trek, specialized, cannondale, raleigh).

Raleigh has some amazing deals going on. If your height is less than 5ft 10" then Lore IE is a great value. You could 2 of those for 5 grand.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Even if you add, fenders, rack, Supernova M99 lights, additional battery and charger for your office you will save over 1 grand.

I also second Chris's choice. Haibike Sduro Trekking S 9.0 is a great bike. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
It will handle some light offroading because of the tires and suspension.

If I were you, I would visit the nearest haibike dealer and say.. hey here is my credit card for $5K, get me this Haibike Sduro Trekking S 9.0 in dual battery configuration.
Trust me, if you want to 40 miles round trip, you need 600whr+. At 23mph avg, speed, you would get 28 to 30 miles per 500whr Bosch power pack. So, for your commute, you need at least 700whr to do 40 miles round trip comfortably without stressing your battery.

The dual battery of Haibike would look like this. If your Haibike dealer doesn't agree to sell you one of these for $5K, then he is not going to survive in this business.

Can I ask how tall you are, your age and what your health is like. I think these factors should be considered.

I am 5'11 and 49 year old. I am in good shape but have heart failure and even an internal pacemaker/defibrillator (people typically cant believe it when I tell them) due to a heart condition I have lived with for some time. At least for now, that doesn't stop me from adventures/working out.

Based on your description I think you should opt for wide tires to handle different terrain and a suspension fork at least. Having a Bosch motor would ensure a wide network or dealer support if you chose to travel with your bike and it will help you keep the bike on the road for years to come.

Also - where are you located?

Minneapolis, MN

My personal recommendation would be a R&M GT HS bike whether it’s a Nevo or a Charger. The 2019 Haibike Trekking S 9.0 will also be a hot bike this year at a good pricepoint.

Thank you for the help everyone. Based on your inputs I am down to two bikes - the 2019 Haibike Sduro Trekking S 9.0 and the 2019 Riese Muller Charger GT Vario HS (belt drive internal gear hub).

The R&M would cost me $1500 more which I could swing - but is it worth it or should I just get the Haibike? Please talk me into one or out of the other :)

Last edited:
Buy two Juiced CCXs. You can pop the second battery on the rack and go for 100 miles at 25mph. It would be $5K total and you'd have complete redundancy of bikes, tires, batteries, controllers, etc.

Kind of kidding......kind of...

I plan to purchase a bike ($5,000 range) this spring.

I was looking at the 2020 Specialized Vado 5.0 (which looks to be replacing the 6.0 - at least spec-wise) and the 2019 Trek Super Commuter+ 8s. Since my initial research, I have also been reading up on bulls, riese/mulller, juiced, and stromer but was leaning toward one of the "mainstream" brands (giant, trek, specialized, cannondale, raleigh).

My Scenario - The bike would be used for work commute - 40 miles round trip (20 miles each way). Mostly flat, mostly paved with some unpaved areas that are "groomed". Some stop and go but mostly go. I have decided on a class 3 - 28mph. I would also like to use it for some camping trips that may have a little rougher trails in certain areas (nothing extreme), but that would be optional in my decision - the primary use is work commute.

The weather around here will not be good enough to test ride for about a month and some brands/models will be difficult to find test bikes for. For around 5,000 and using it for the scenario described above - which bike would you buy?

Forget about Trek super commuter it is just an extremely overpriced no suspension bicycle with Bosch speed system . You are talking about taking it to camping trips then get something with at least a decent front fork suspension.

As Ravi suggested Lore is a better bike , having a high quality front fork, same Bosch battery/motor , for half the price.

40 mile roundtrip is actually long, while doable it maybe better to go for a bike with a higher capacity battery option(Stromer is probably great for this kind of long commute but I don't know about camping). If you want to spend 5K then make sure you have a higher capacity battery/dual battery option and good suspension.

Good luck

Raleigh has some amazing deals going on. If your height is less than 5ft 10" then Lore IE is a great value. You could 2 of those for 5 grand.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Even if you add, fenders, rack, Supernova M99 lights, additional battery and charger for your office you will save over 1 grand.

I also second Chris's choice. Haibike Sduro Trekking S 9.0 is a great bike. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
It will handle some light offroading because of the tires and suspension.

If I were you, I would visit the nearest haibike dealer and say.. hey here is my credit card for $5K, get me this Haibike Sduro Trekking S 9.0 in dual battery configuration.
Trust me, if you want to 40 miles round trip, you need 600whr+. At 23mph avg, speed, you would get 28 to 30 miles per 500whr Bosch power pack. So, for your commute, you need at least 700whr to do 40 miles round trip comfortably without stressing your battery.

The dual battery of Haibike would look like this. If your Haibike dealer doesn't agree to sell you one of these for $5K, then he is not going to survive in this business.

Sduro Trekking S 9.0 gets my vote for the dual battery option and the stealthy looks without the extra battery. A solid bike and probably worth it in the long run with the Haibike quality build. The budget minded rider would probably opt for the Lore. It sounds like you have no difficulty with the higher price points here, so good luck with your final decision and purchase. Many good suggestions here IMO!

The Haibike. If your commute is 20 miles each way, you will not appreciate the sluggish combination of the Vario hub and heavy RM. I don’t know the weight of the Haibike but I’d be surprised if the Charger is a lighter bike. And another point: the Haibike appears to have a rack with pannier rails unlike the RM if you plan to carry some cargo on your commute. The carbon belt is a win, but it’s the only positive and not worth the extra $1500.

Back