2025 Vado

Ebikelife72

Region
USA
I noticed Specialized posted a 2025 Vado 5 ST with a few new specs to show include Shimano CUES group set and brakes and a Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seat post. It’ll be interesting to see what changes the Vado 3 and 4 will get.

They still have 2022 models on the site. Did they skip MY2024 completely on the Vado's due to excess post-boom inventory?

Other than the seatpost and brakes, are there any other notable upgrades between the 2023 and 2025 model? How good would the new brake be compared to the SRAM in the 2023?

Other than the seatpost and brakes, are there any other notable upgrades between the 2023 and 2025 model? How good would the new brake be compared to the SRAM in the 2023?
The main difference is the drivetrain using the Shimano CUES instead of the Sram. I don't know if the CUES is an upgrade or not.

2025 Specialized Vado SL2 6.0
It is not the Vado :) It is a Vado SL.
Some confusion here as always.

Vado is a (heavy) full power e-bike.
Vado SL is a lightweight low power e-bike.

Totally different e-bikes based on different e-bike systems.

It is not the Vado :) It is a Vado SL.
Some confusion here as always.

Vado is a (heavy) full power e-bike.
Vado SL is a lightweight low power e-bike.

Totally different e-bikes based on different e-bike systems.
Stefan, I have been giving some serious consideration to purchasing a Turbo Vado. It is to be used for my leisure riding (roads and light gravel). Checking out local sights and attractions, nothing strenuous!. More city/town centre riding, so I want a legal ebike.

I have to say the Vado and Vado SL are confusing me too...

I struggle to get my head around this concept of full power and lightweight low power bike. My tendency is to say "I want all the power". :p Checking the Specialized website, it says the Vado SL has just 35nm. I currently ride a Frey EX. 1000w, 120nm Torque, a massive 1300wh battery capacity!... But it weighs over 35kg!! On numbers alone its impossible to compare.

So I thought to myself, maybe the "Full Power" Turbo Vado is for me... But I see you and others often praising the Vado SL.. So I'm confused. I keep asking myself, why is this less powerful bike that comes with a fairly small battery proving such a hit in the reviews. Some websites have rated it "Bike of the year 2024".

So I check the range stats - thinking surely the larger capacity bike will win. But googling, it says the "Full Power" Vado has a range of 75miles. But the smaller capacity Vado SL does 80miles!!! (But I am keeping an eye on the real world range test thread!)

Again, mind blowing... What is going on.

I suppose I won't be able to fully answer this conundrum until I can arrange test rides. :)

Last edited:
Marts, surprisingly to myself, I find answering your questions quite difficult :) As I understand, you are a relatively young man, and that puts the perspective differently compared to a quite old, ailing man as myself :)

The first generations of Vado SL (2020-2024) were meant to be a "fitness bike". The target user would be a regular, moderately fit, healthy person. Vado SL is a lightweight e-bike that technically can be ridden unassisted, and a "normal" user would only turn the assistance on for the hills or headwind; or, the e-bike would be ridden at the default ECO assistance for some boost. The e-bike being relatively lightweight enables the owner lifting and carrying the e-bike whenever necessary. I would say Vado SL un-EQ is a flat handlebar gravel bike, while the EQ version has extra uses for urban or multi-day touring rides. It is not a coincidence two friends of mine ride Vado SL, one of them being in his thirties, and another being in his forties.

The full power Vado has two possible functions:
  • A commuter e-bike, so you come to work with no sweat on, or
  • An adventure e-bike for long travels, especially in high mountains or on serious hills.
Let us put is straight:
  • Vado SL (2020-2024) has the max Assist of 1.8x and maximum motor power of 240 W. The base battery is 320 Wh (plus possible 160 Wh extenders)
  • Vado 5.0 has the max Assist of 4.1x and maximum motor power of 565 W (no extender but an extra battery can be carried in a pannier).
Now, I would say that a Vado SL 4.0 EQ would weigh some 18 kg while a standard Vado could be 26 kg. I would not pedal the "big" Vado without the assistance, at least as low as 15/20%.

You can put very heavy panniers on the big Vado while the cargo weight for a standard Vado SL EQ is really limited.
---------------
While I love my Vado SL, I would not take it in any high mountains of Poland (and we have some pretty serious mountain ranges here).

In your case Marts, you might simply not need the "big" Vado but it is a must for me at times :)

1729027358214.png

1729027411288.png

Overtaking gravel cyclists, 14% grade ascent.

1729027765875.png

In high mountains.

1729027796223.png

This mountain is 1 metre higher than Ben Nevis :)

1729027637892.png

1729027660008.png

1729027701739.png

Middle high mountains.

1729028008801.png

Low mountains :) However, you can meet a 19% grade climb there!

I would not dare taking my Vado SL to real mountains!

But googling, it says the "Full Power" Vado has a range of 75miles. But the smaller capacity Vado SL does 80miles!!!
Bullshit. Either Vado or Vado SL configured to provide the same assistance has basically the same performance, and the bigger battery on the big Vado ensures more range at identical assistance (do not compare the %%%!)

I suppose I won't be able to fully answer this conundrum until I can arrange test rides. :)
Exactly!

Marts, surprisingly to myself, I find answering your questions quite difficult :) As I understand, you are a relatively young man, and that puts the perspective differently compared to a quite old, ailing man as myself :)

The first generations of Vado SL (2020-2024) were meant to be a "fitness bike". The target user would be a regular, moderately fit, healthy person. Vado SL is a lightweight e-bike that technically can be ridden unassisted, and a "normal" user would only turn the assistance on for the hills or headwind; or, the e-bike would be ridden at the default ECO assistance for some boost. The e-bike being relatively lightweight enables the owner lifting and carrying the e-bike whenever necessary. I would say Vado SL un-EQ is a flat handlebar gravel bike, while the EQ version has extra uses for urban or multi-day touring rides. It is not a coincidence two friends of mine ride Vado SL, one of them being in his thirties, and another being in his forties.

The full power Vado has two possible functions:
  • A commuter e-bike, so you come to work with no sweat on, or
  • An adventure e-bike for long travels, especially in high mountains or on serious hills.
Let us put is straight:
  • Vado SL (2020-2024) has the max Assist of 1.8x and maximum motor power of 240 W. The base battery is 320 Wh (plus possible 160 Wh extenders)
  • Vado 5.0 has the max Assist of 4.1x and maximum motor power of 565 W (no extender but an extra battery can be carried in a pannier).
Now, I would say that a Vado SL 4.0 EQ would weigh some 18 kg while a standard Vado could be 26 kg. I would not pedal the "big" Vado without the assistance, at least as low as 15/20%.

You can put very heavy panniers on the big Vado while the cargo weight for a standard Vado SL EQ is really limited.
---------------
While I love my Vado SL, I would not take it in any high mountains of Poland (and we have some pretty serious mountain ranges here).

In your case Marts, you might simply not need the "big" Vado but it is a must for me at times :)

Overtaking gravel cyclists, 14% grade ascent.

In high mountains.

This mountain is 1 metre higher than Ben Nevis :)

Middle high mountains.

Low mountains :) However, you can meet a 19% grade climb there!

I would not dare taking my Vado SL to real mountains!

Bullshit. Either Vado or Vado SL configured to provide the same assistance has basically the same performance, and the bigger battery on the big Vado ensures more range at identical assistance (do not compare the %%%!)

Exactly!
Hi Stefan thank you for your comments, that's great information, and great photos too, those mountains are spectacular! Its also nice to be called relatively young too! 😀

I'm 43yrs old, and like to think I'm moderately fit. I ride and workout pretty often, but I had an accident some years ago resulting in a punctured lung which has left me with a slightly restricted lung capacity on my left side. I can still feel it if I push myself to the extreme. I also started my cycling life as an ebiker less than a decade ago. So I never had that experience of covering miles on a traditional bike, building up leg muscle strength and stamina. Plus all the e-bikes I've owned so far have been 1000w, so was spoilt by the fact I never had to exert myself that hard, a push of a button was all it took to overcome most obstacles.

So despite the fact I feel I'm fairly strong rider - I ride 30-60mile every other day at least - I don't think I'm the strongest "unpowered" rider. I couldn't do the miles I do without assistance. I see the calf muscles on some cyclists and think wow! They've done some training! The truth is I'm more of a "skilled" rider than strong. I can tackle gnarly tracks without falling off too often! ;) I don't know if I could do the same mountain climbing as others.

I am fortunate that I live on the edge of the Chiltern Hills, which is designated as an "area of outstanding natural beauty", and as the name suggests it is full of hills! (But no mountains! 😀) If I head north or south its relatively flat. If I head east you can find Barton Hills, much of which is a nature reserve, and again more hills. So I'm fortunate to be surrounded by good ground to ride right on my doorstep - although plenty of hills in some directions. I hope to explore more of the towns and villages in these areas.

After reading your comments, and with hills in mind, I am leaning more towards the Turbo Vado... But there are elements of the Vado SL that sound appealing.

The extra fitness it provides (You don't get fit without trying!)
Can be ridden unpowered without much if any penalty
Can be carried easily. I like the idea of possibly traveling with this bike, maybe by train to further off ventures in the UK! Something I can't do with my current bike as its too big and heavy.
I also like the fact it sounds fairly easy to push through the 15.5mph limit. To reach maybe 20mph+. On some heavier bikes you really feel that limit.
Lastly, I like the design of the Vado SL. From a distance you'd be hard pressed to tell its an ebike. :)

But I have to be realistic. I don't want to end up disappointed with the bike because I'm the weak link! I'd still like to cover a fair distance with each ride. But its hard to ignore all of the reviews of the Vado SL. There is obviously "something" to this bike that people like quite a lot! I read your review of the Vado SL (excellent review btw!) and you said (I paraphrase!) it all kind of "clicked" once you had ridden it. I'm wondering if I'll have the same impression.

I hope to arrange test rides in the near future, although I have checked a number of cycling shops and I'm finding the Large and XL versions are usually sold out. (Unless I want an older version!).

Anyhow, I'll probably purchase in the new year and keep an eye on stock levels. Until then I'll ponder on whether I want an IGH version or not! :)

As someone probably with the most knowledge and experience of Specialized bikes on this forum I value your opinion Stefan and thank you for your reply!

Last edited:
I also just noticed that perhaps I'm not understanding the Specialized product range properly either.

I have been under the impression, maybe incorrectly, that the Turbo Vado 3/4 is older than the Turbo Vado 5?

But given they're both being sold alongside each other, maybe not. I kind of thought perhaps this is older stock still hanging around!

So the numbers refer to Spec rather than Age of the model?

I also just noticed that perhaps I'm not understanding the Specialized product range properly either.

I have been under the impression, maybe incorrectly, that the Turbo Vado 3/4 is older than the Turbo Vado 5?

But given they're both being sold alongside each other, maybe not. I kind of thought perhaps this is older stock still hanging around!

So the numbers refer to Spec rather than Age of the model?
I think the Vado 3, 4, and 5 all use the same exact frame. The only real difference is in the componentry.

From what you describe of your fitness level you would appreciate 500 watts of power.
I'm older, but a lifelong cyclist and have no cardio/respiratory issues. I can do my rides with 250 watts max power, but on the hills I'm more comfortable climbing with a higher wattage. It's my knees that kill me when I push too hard.

Marts,

Thank you so much for your such interesting posts! It has given me a good morning reading!

Let us start with the fitness matters. I have medical conditions that limit my average leg power to some 80 W no matter how I try. We also have Jeremy who is older than I, still he's zooming his SoCal steep hills with ease on his Vado SL 5.0. There also is a friend of mine (age 48) who took the second place in e-Sprint gravel race (80+ mi, 1,200+ ft) this year riding a Vado SL 4.0; the race was won by a woman who rode a "full power" Mondraker e-MTB. So I'd say Vado SL (2020-2024) is an adequate e-bike for many people.

You ride 50-60 miles often. Any idea what elevation gain are you getting on your ride?

Resolving Confusion Related To Names and Model Versions

Vado SL (before Version 2 Carbon 2025)
  • 48 V system
  • All versions have a true 240 W (mechanical power) SL 1.1 motor
  • All versions have a non-removable 320 Wh battery
  • Optional 160 Wh Range Extenders are available
  • Aluminium frame
  • Version 4.0: Less expensive componentry, no suspension.
    Version 5.0: Expensive components, Future Shock front suspension, carbon fibre fork
    • Non EQ: Lighting - yes. Mudguards, rear rack, kickstand - no.
    • EQ: Lighting, mudguards, rear rack, kickstand - yes.
  • Tyres up to 42 mm (unequipped) or 38 mm (EQ), gravel type
  • Reasonably priced.
Vado SL 2 6.0 Carbon (2025)
  • 48 V system
  • A true 320 W (mechanical power) SL 1.2 motor
  • A non-removable 520 Wh battery
  • Optional 160 Wh Range Extenders available
  • Carbon fibre frame and components
  • Advanced Future Shock front suspension
  • Top componentry
  • EQ or non-EQ
  • 47 mm tyres as a standard
  • Deadly expensive :D
Vado (full power)
  • 36 V system
  • Always equipped (lighting, mudguards, rear rack, kickstand)
  • Removable battery
  • Motors, battery, components
    • 3.0: max assist 2.8x, max true motor power 430 W, 530 Wh battery, entry level components
    • 4.0: max assist 3.2x, max true motor power 470 W, 710 Wh battery, middle tier components
    • 5.0: max assist 4.1x, max true motor power 565 W, 710 Wh battery, high-end components.
  • Front suspension (performance depends on the model number)
  • Suspension seat-post
  • Wide tyres
  • Pricewise, version 4.0 is the best value for money.
=============================
You wrote you would like to ride 20+ mph unassisted on a Vado SL. It is not easy at all unless you ride downhill or with a strong tailwind :) It is because the air drag becomes the limiting factor around 20 mph. My 48-yo mate can achieve some 18 mph without the assistance on a Vado SL EQ.
You wrote "gnarly tracks". If you can ride them on your current e-bike then... :) My experience is a Vado SL (especially SL 5.0) handles pretty well in rough terrain while the big Vado is not the best suited for off-road. However, I can only say it for myself but I am not a good MTBer :) Vado simply feels too heavy for rough terrain for me.
Taking e-bike on a train. Of course, it is so easy to take the lightweight e-bike on the train but again, I'm taking my heavy Vado on the train as well. A little bit harder but I often use the Walk Mode to roll my heavier Vado up the stairs in case my big e-bike is fully loaded with panniers!
Range!

Specialized Turbo e-bikes have one of the most sophisticated electronics in the market.
  • You can fine tune any of the three presets (ECO, SPORT, TURBO) to precisely set the Assist and limit the Max Motor Power in Specialized App. You can set it for Long Range or for Racing (figuratively speaking). So you can have full Turbo for steep climbs and your own minimum ECO assistance setting for very long rides. For instance, I set the assistance as low as 15/20% for my full power Vado if I want to ride together with casual traditional cyclists on asphalt.
  • You can tune the assistance 'as you ride' from the handlebar remote in the unique Micro Tune mode (10/10 to 100/100% in 10% increments). Range and Range Trend display helps you setting the optimum assistance
  • You can set Smart Control in the Specialized App so you will ride for a predetermined Distance and Elevation Gain and still return on the battery; the App will adjust the assistance online as you are riding!
In the light of the above, the published Range figures are rather an indication than a guaranteed promise :)
IGH? I do not recommend it :) It simply degrades the performance, and makes the e-bike even heavier :)
Frame size
Believe it or not, but size XL is as unpopular as you can get a Specialized e-bike in such a size easier than anything on Black Friday sales. Important: Specialized has two pools of e-bikes. One is for online sales and another is reserved for Dealers. If you cannot find what you need online, ask your Specialized dealer!

I am not sure if I covered all your points. What I think is you decidedly need to do demo rides to determine your real needs!

Last edited:
Back