2025 Vado

Ebikelife72

Region
USA
I noticed Specialized posted a 2025 Vado 5 ST with a few new specs to show include Shimano CUES group set and brakes and a Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seat post. It’ll be interesting to see what changes the Vado 3 and 4 will get.

They still have 2022 models on the site. Did they skip MY2024 completely on the Vado's due to excess post-boom inventory?

Other than the seatpost and brakes, are there any other notable upgrades between the 2023 and 2025 model? How good would the new brake be compared to the SRAM in the 2023?

Other than the seatpost and brakes, are there any other notable upgrades between the 2023 and 2025 model? How good would the new brake be compared to the SRAM in the 2023?
The main difference is the drivetrain using the Shimano CUES instead of the Sram. I don't know if the CUES is an upgrade or not.

2025 Specialized Vado SL2 6.0
It is not the Vado :) It is a Vado SL.
Some confusion here as always.

Vado is a (heavy) full power e-bike.
Vado SL is a lightweight low power e-bike.

Totally different e-bikes based on different e-bike systems.

It is not the Vado :) It is a Vado SL.
Some confusion here as always.

Vado is a (heavy) full power e-bike.
Vado SL is a lightweight low power e-bike.

Totally different e-bikes based on different e-bike systems.
Stefan, I have been giving some serious consideration to purchasing a Turbo Vado. It is to be used for my leisure riding (roads and light gravel). Checking out local sights and attractions, nothing strenuous!. More city/town centre riding, so I want a legal ebike.

I have to say the Vado and Vado SL are confusing me too...

I struggle to get my head around this concept of full power and lightweight low power bike. My tendency is to say "I want all the power". :p Checking the Specialized website, it says the Vado SL has just 35nm. I currently ride a Frey EX. 1000w, 120nm Torque, a massive 1300wh battery capacity!... But it weighs over 35kg!! On numbers alone its impossible to compare.

So I thought to myself, maybe the "Full Power" Turbo Vado is for me... But I see you and others often praising the Vado SL.. So I'm confused. I keep asking myself, why is this less powerful bike that comes with a fairly small battery proving such a hit in the reviews. Some websites have rated it "Bike of the year 2024".

So I check the range stats - thinking surely the larger capacity bike will win. But googling, it says the "Full Power" Vado has a range of 75miles. But the smaller capacity Vado SL does 80miles!!! (But I am keeping an eye on the real world range test thread!)

Again, mind blowing... What is going on.

I suppose I won't be able to fully answer this conundrum until I can arrange test rides. :)

Last edited:
Marts, surprisingly to myself, I find answering your questions quite difficult :) As I understand, you are a relatively young man, and that puts the perspective differently compared to a quite old, ailing man as myself :)

The first generations of Vado SL (2020-2024) were meant to be a "fitness bike". The target user would be a regular, moderately fit, healthy person. Vado SL is a lightweight e-bike that technically can be ridden unassisted, and a "normal" user would only turn the assistance on for the hills or headwind; or, the e-bike would be ridden at the default ECO assistance for some boost. The e-bike being relatively lightweight enables the owner lifting and carrying the e-bike whenever necessary. I would say Vado SL un-EQ is a flat handlebar gravel bike, while the EQ version has extra uses for urban or multi-day touring rides. It is not a coincidence two friends of mine ride Vado SL, one of them being in his thirties, and another being in his forties.

The full power Vado has two possible functions:
  • A commuter e-bike, so you come to work with no sweat on, or
  • An adventure e-bike for long travels, especially in high mountains or on serious hills.
Let us put is straight:
  • Vado SL (2020-2024) has the max Assist of 1.8x and maximum motor power of 240 W. The base battery is 320 Wh (plus possible 160 Wh extenders)
  • Vado 5.0 has the max Assist of 4.1x and maximum motor power of 565 W (no extender but an extra battery can be carried in a pannier).
Now, I would say that a Vado SL 4.0 EQ would weigh some 18 kg while a standard Vado could be 26 kg. I would not pedal the "big" Vado without the assistance, at least as low as 15/20%.

You can put very heavy panniers on the big Vado while the cargo weight for a standard Vado SL EQ is really limited.
---------------
While I love my Vado SL, I would not take it in any high mountains of Poland (and we have some pretty serious mountain ranges here).

In your case Marts, you might simply not need the "big" Vado but it is a must for me at times :)

1729027358214.png

1729027411288.png

Overtaking gravel cyclists, 14% grade ascent.

1729027765875.png

In high mountains.

1729027796223.png

This mountain is 1 metre higher than Ben Nevis :)

1729027637892.png

1729027660008.png

1729027701739.png

Middle high mountains.

1729028008801.png

Low mountains :) However, you can meet a 19% grade climb there!

I would not dare taking my Vado SL to real mountains!

But googling, it says the "Full Power" Vado has a range of 75miles. But the smaller capacity Vado SL does 80miles!!!
Bullshit. Either Vado or Vado SL configured to provide the same assistance has basically the same performance, and the bigger battery on the big Vado ensures more range at identical assistance (do not compare the %%%!)

I suppose I won't be able to fully answer this conundrum until I can arrange test rides. :)
Exactly!

Back