Sarah Burnett - Giant won’t turn on

Sarah.Burnett

Region
Europe
Hi,

I bought a defective bicycle (Giant Trance X E+ 2 pro 29). I've only had it for a month and I'm trying to fix it. The bike had a chip on it that has now been removed. The problem I have is that I can't turn on the bike. When I put the battery in and try to start the bike on the ride control, all the LEDs (white) light up and then the red one in the middle lights up and then the bike turns off. It all takes maybe 1-2 seconds. I thought the problem was in the battery. According to experts, the battery was defective and had a locked BMS. I bought a brand new battery but the same problem still occurs.
If anyone knows what the problem could be and how to solve it, I would be very grateful for your help. Thanks in advance.

Sarah

Hi,

I bought a defective bicycle (Giant Trance X E+ 2 pro 29). I've only had it for a month and I'm trying to fix it. The bike had a chip on it that has now been removed. The problem I have is that I can't turn on the bike. When I put the battery in and try to start the bike on the ride control, all the LEDs (white) light up and then the red one in the middle lights up and then the bike turns off. It all takes maybe 1-2 seconds. I thought the problem was in the battery. According to experts, the battery was defective and had a locked BMS. I bought a brand new battery but the same problem still occurs.
If anyone knows what the problem could be and how to solve it, I would be very grateful for your help. Thanks in advance.

Sarah
Rats...
When you say it had a "chip" in it, are you talking about de-restricting?
If so, recent Giant bikes have detection firmware that disables the motor after a while.
I have not heard good news about fixing it without Giant resetting/replacing the motor.

Rats...
When you say it had a "chip" in it, are you talking about de-restricting?
If so, recent Giant bikes have detection firmware that disables the motor after a while.
I have not heard good news about fixing it without Giant resetting/replacing the motor.
Yes, I found out that it has a chip that allows it to improve the operation of the engine, to go above the set speeds. Do you know, if possible, how Gaint could reset it?

Yes, I found out that it has a chip that allows it to improve the operation of the engine, to go above the set speeds. Do you know, if possible, how Gaint could reset it?
Not personally, I've avoided those de-restriction mods.
I'm not sure if a Giant dealer can reset the bike or not, but I have heard of motor replacements.
I'd start with a Giant dealer, hopefully a corporate/direct store. My "story" would be that I bought the bike without knowing the chip was installed.

Not personally, I've avoided those de-restriction mods.
I'm not sure if a Giant dealer can reset the bike or not, but I have heard of motor replacements.
I'd start with a Giant dealer, hopefully a corporate/direct store. My "story" would be that I bought the bike without knowing the chip was installed.
The problem is that I am from Croatia, and in my country there is not a single service that can help me, I have literally tried everything.
I read that Giant motors are quite expensive. Do you know if replacing the motor would surely solve that problem?

The problem is that I am from Croatia, and in my country there is not a single service that can help me, I have literally tried everything.
I read that Giant motors are quite expensive. Do you know if replacing the motor would surely solve that problem?
Maybe give this number a call...

Hi,
I wasn't able to post a video, so I pulled out a couple of pictures to make it clearer what the above problem is about. I didn't find a person who had the same problem as me, so maybe the pictures will help.
As I mentioned earlier, from when I press the button on the ride control, the whole process of turning on the lights takes maybe 1-2 seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_8678.jpeg
    IMG_8678.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8677.jpeg
    IMG_8677.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8679.jpeg
    IMG_8679.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8680.jpeg
    IMG_8680.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 23
I "think" that middle 3rd LED indicates a speed sensor issue. From the manual...

5.4 RIDECONTROL ONE
In case of a system error, the RideControl ONE display can show various error messages. Lighting
indicator (H) will flash, accompanied by one of the error code indicators (L) that double as power assist
indicators). Switching off and on will reset the system in most cases. If so, continuing a bike ride is no
problem. Contact a dealer for final test results via Service Tool.
Note: LEDs are numbered from bottom to top.
• LED 5: Heat issue
• LED 4: not applicable
• LED 3: Speed sensor issue
• LED 2: Motor issues
• LED 1: battery issues
For LED 5, heat issue: The bike needs some time
to cool down. Restart the bike after a few minutes.
Release stress on motor during high temperatures.

I "think" that middle 3rd LED indicates a speed sensor issue. From the manual...

5.4 RIDECONTROL ONE
In case of a system error, the RideControl ONE display can show various error messages. Lighting
indicator (H) will flash, accompanied by one of the error code indicators (L) that double as power assist
indicators). Switching off and on will reset the system in most cases. If so, continuing a bike ride is no
problem. Contact a dealer for final test results via Service Tool.
Note: LEDs are numbered from bottom to top.
• LED 5: Heat issue
• LED 4: not applicable
• LED 3: Speed sensor issue
• LED 2: Motor issues
• LED 1: battery issues
For LED 5, heat issue: The bike needs some time
to cool down. Restart the bike after a few minutes.
Release stress on motor during high temperatures.
That's the first thing I thought of. I tried unplugging it and still the same thing happened.

I believe Dave is on it, the bike knows it has been derestricted at some point and is not going to run. I very much doubt you’re going to get much help from Giant; I would hesitate to spend any more money on this, I suspect it’s a lost cause.

What if you just replace the controller and display? Does the battery that want to handshake to the controller? Proprietary bikes like handshakes.

Have you considered having the speed sensor cable replaced first? Some cables on these bikes are known to be defective or perhaps get pinched inside the housing if not adequately reinserted. It’s a rat’s nest inside and it’s a wonder how anyone could put things back together properly. If you can find a reputable shop that can replace the sensor, I think that would be a start.

1724100058724.png

No one wants to see their motor bricked especially knowing that the bike has been chipped. I’ve read some YouTube comments on a derestrictor site, in this case Speedbox, where some owners of Giant bikes have had to pay the manufacturer directly to unlock the motor. One person even had the motor replaced after it was rendered useless by the chip only to have it occur again. Even after said comments and warnings, others were still in a mad rush to have one of these devices installed. :rolleyes:

Back