Giant Stance E+

cleo1943

I purchased a Giant Stance E+ a few days ago. The bike is all that I expected, but, I am not happy with Giant. in the interest of full disclosure, I have emailed them regarding my complaints and I am waiting for a reply. The issue is that on the official Giant website it clearly states that the pedals are aluminum platform. However, the bike came with no pedals. The LBS which sells Giant, when I picked it up, told me that they put some pedals on the bike to loan me. I turned down the offer and purchased some platform pedals. The pedals were reasonable, but i do live on Social Security and I was not happy with the surprise. Also, there is no key to unlock the battery (I have a three year old Aventon Level which has a key and a lever to remove the battery, as apparently most ebikes do). Instead, a T25 tool is required, which I have no problem with, but what I do have a problem with, is that the tool was not included. The fact that neither the pedals nor the tool were included in the price was never brought up when I ordered the bike. I did take the bike to a park with mountain trails and it performed incredibly well. I have put 60 miles on the bike, all in turbo mode (second to lowest), and the battery still has 25% capacity left! Caveat emptor: let the buyer beware. Perhaps they will compensate me for the pedals and send me a tool to remove the battery.

I purchased a Giant Stance E+ a few days ago. The bike is all that I expected, but, I am not happy with Giant. in the interest of full disclosure, I have emailed them regarding my complaints and I am waiting for a reply. The issue is that on the official Giant website it clearly states that the pedals are aluminum platform. However, the bike came with no pedals. The LBS which sells Giant, when I picked it up, told me that they put some pedals on the bike to loan me. I turned down the offer and purchased some platform pedals. The pedals were reasonable, but i do live on Social Security and I was not happy with the surprise. Also, there is no key to unlock the battery (I have a three year old Aventon Level which has a key and a lever to remove the battery, as apparently most ebikes do). Instead, a T25 tool is required, which I have no problem with, but what I do have a problem with, is that the tool was not included. The fact that neither the pedals nor the tool were included in the price was never brought up when I ordered the bike. I did take the bike to a park with mountain trails and it performed incredibly well. I have put 60 miles on the bike, all in turbo mode (second to lowest), and the battery still has 25% capacity left! Caveat emptor: let the buyer beware. Perhaps they will compensate me for the pedals and send me a tool to remove the battery.
Sorry to hear about your experience but you’re apt to discover that bikes purchased either online or at a LBS from any of the major manufacturers won’t include pedals regardless of what is stated. I think that most enthusiasts would rather purchase their own aftermarket pedals. Purchasing from a lesser-known brand from a big box retailer or sporting goods store will likely get you a set of pedals. As for the tool to remove the battery, you could try asking your LBS if they can provide you with one or just buy a cheap Torx at the hardware store. Bottom line is that you seem to be enjoying your new Stance and your misgivings with respect to those two items will soon be a distant memory.

Sorry to hear about your experience but you’re apt to discover that bikes purchased either online or at a LBS from any of the major manufacturers won’t include pedals regardless of what is stated. I think that most enthusiasts would rather purchase their own aftermarket pedals. Purchasing from a lesser-known brand from a big box retailer or sporting goods store will likely get you a set of pedals. As for the tool to remove the battery, you could try asking your LBS if they can provide you with one or just buy a cheap Torx at the hardware store. Bottom line is that you seem to be enjoying your new Stance and your misgivings with respect to those two items will soon be a distant memory.
I am 80, so it can’t get to distant. Perhaps I was spoiled by my Aventon Level 1, which i bought at a LBS. The bike included pedals and a key to unlock the battery, and, as I said, i have put almost 13,000 miles with nothing but expected maintenance ( i have not had a car for 3 years). You are right; I will enjoy the bike. Still, it is troubling that neither Giant or the store was forthcoming. This seems unethical to me. Why do you think that they don’t just tell you up front that the bike doesn’t come with pedals? That would eliminate misunderstanding.
Se la vie.

Congrats on the new bike!
I bought a 2021 Stance E+2 here in Canada at the LBS. It did come with pedals (which I replaced anyway), and a key for the battery.
Great bike!
Which model did you get? Is it the orange bike that has "online pricing"? I noticed the picture on the US website shows it with no pedals, although the details read "Aluminum platform". Then it also offers pedals as an extra. Interesting.
Enjoy!

I am 80, so it can’t get to distant. Perhaps I was spoiled by my Aventon Level 1, which i bought at a LBS. The bike included pedals and a key to unlock the battery, and, as I said, i have put almost 13,000 miles with nothing but expected maintenance ( i have not had a car for 3 years). You are right; I will enjoy the bike. Still, it is troubling that neither Giant or the store was forthcoming. This seems unethical to me. Why do you think that they don’t just tell you up front that the bike doesn’t come with pedals? That would eliminate misunderstanding.
Se la vie.
I understand how you feel. If it’s any consolation, I’ve purchased bikes from four major makers including Giant, Specialized, Trek, and Cannondale and none of them came with pedals. On one occasion, the LBS threw in a set of plastic pedals when I acquired my Norco e-fat bike just to get me on my way when I rode it out of the shop. They didn’t work out for me and I ended up buying a new set anyways. Enjoy the new ride. Giant makes some great bikes.

I tried to order the orange color that you alluded to, but the store said that Giant was out, so I got black (the choice was between black and dark blue). At $3,200, marked down from $4,000, it seems a bargain. The only thing I added, because I have them on my Aventon, and find it uncomfortable to ride without, are ergonomic grips; more surface to contact, less pressure.

I tried to order the orange color that you alluded to, but the store said that Giant was out, so I got black (the choice was between black and dark blue). At $3,200, marked down from $4,000, it seems a bargain. The only thing I added, because I have them on my Aventon, and find it uncomfortable to ride without, are ergonomic grips; more surface to contact, less pressure.
Yes, that's a good deal, nicely done!
I also got ergo grips. Much better!

@cleo1943:
Good bikes/e-bikes all come without pedals because the pedals are as much a personal rider's choice as a toothbrush is. A good LBS would give you a set of the cheapest pedals they have just to keep you satisfied.

The battery locked by the screw is an intentional design choice of Giant. The point is, the Stance is a mountain bike intended for riding rough terrain. Giant has decided locking the battery inside the frame would be the most safe choice in the terms of the battery security on the trail. Several other respected e-MTB manufacturers also lock the battery with a screw inside the frame. (The extra bonus is you cannot lose the battery keys). I think the Stance E+ can be charged with the battery on the bike?

Please realize you bought a classy electric mountain e-bike that has several features making it perfect for the intended purpose. If you were happy with the Aventon, you should have bought a commuter or city e-bike instead. (My Giant Trance E+ had a label on the handlebar that read: 'This e-bike has been designed for off-road use only').

1723548634738.png

I watch and watch this picture and however hard I try I cannot see any pedals on a Stance E+ in the Giant website...

Last edited:
@cleo1943:
Good bikes/e-bikes all come without pedals because the pedals are as much a personal rider's choice as a toothbrush is. A good LBS would give you a set of the cheapest pedals they have just to keep you satisfied.

The battery locked by the screw is an intentional design choice of Giant. The point is, the Stance is a mountain bike intended for riding rough terrain. Giant has decided locking the battery inside the frame would be the most safe choice in the terms of the battery security on the trail. Several other respected e-MTB manufacturers also lock the battery with a screw inside the frame. (The extra bonus is you cannot lose the battery keys). I think the Stance E+ can be charged with the battery on the bike?

Please realize you bought a classy electric mountain e-bike that has several features making it perfect for the intended purpose. If you were happy with the Aventon, you should have bought a commuter or city e-bike instead. (My Giant Trance E+ had a label on the handlebar that read: 'This e-bike has been designed for off-road use only').

View attachment 180463
I watch and watch this picture and however hard I try I cannot see any pedals on a Stance E+ in the Giant website...
Yes, Stance battery can be charged on the bike, and does not require the dongle for charging the battery outside of the bike.

Back