Ireland Rules and Regulations

Gawdzala

Region
Europe
Hey Guys! I would really appreciate it if someone from Ireland could help me out.

I am figuring on buying an electric bike and am not too sure if it's a good decision here in Ireland. While I am aware that the law calls for having a motor rated 250W and no more, I would like to purchase an electric bike worth a 1000W. The area that I live in has extreme hills and having a powerful motor in my electric bike is absolutely crucial. The electric bike which I am figuring on buying has a quick switch which can regulate the power output to no more than 250W in a span of a second, is there any way that Gardai might still realize the power wattage of the motor? Are there any tests that they run on your electric bike if they ever stop you?

Furthermore, I have also heard that having a throttle on your E-bike is not allowed at all, is that true? Can I just have it on but yet disable it in the settings without having any issues with Gardai?

Help would be really appreciated!!!

No throttle in the EU. 25 km/h max. Regarding the motor power, the figure means "nominal" 250 W, which is usually less than the motor max power.

As you live in a really civilized EU country, I would discourage you from buying an illegal e-bike. Have look at a decent e-bike such as a Specialized Turbo Tero. That e-bike would get you over any hill without any throttle and it is totally legal in Eire despite the max power far greater than 250 W.

....or you could buy an "illegal" on-line bike and "comply" with the local law. A twist throttle offers some stealth. If you don't exceed the ebike speed limit, and pedal -- you won't get pulled over! That is, unless you're breaking some other traffic law. If mandatory inspection sweeps become popular a lot of us will be in trouble. :rolleyes:

....or you could buy an "illegal" on-line bike and "comply" with the local law. A twist throttle offers some stealth. If you don't exceed the ebike speed limit, and pedal -- you won't get pulled over! That is, unless you're breaking some other traffic law. If mandatory inspection sweeps become popular a lot of us will be in trouble. :rolleyes:
Unless he gets involved in the accident. It is not a Wild West here.

1714015962216.png

The OP simply does not need an illegal e-bike in his mountains.

250 of assistance will be just fine. 1,000 will damage the drivetrain. 350-500 is idea, 750 max for cargo bikes. IMHO. Go mid-motor so the assistance pulls the chain through shift-able assisted gears. Avoid a hub-drive like the black plague. No, no! A torque sensor will measure pedal pressure like the accelerator on an electric car. Push down = Go. Avoid hand throttle bikes. It is all with the feet like a Tesala.

I love seeing Americans giving advice to Europeans :D
(Especially as Ireland is one of the most European countries in the whole Union).

For extra information: a good "Euro" e-bike has a 250 W (nominal) mid-drive motor peaking at 430-565 W mechanical power, and it takes the gearing advantage on climbing...

Hey Guys! I would really appreciate it if someone from Ireland could help me out.

I am figuring on buying an electric bike and am not too sure if it's a good decision here in Ireland. While I am aware that the law calls for having a motor rated 250W and no more, I would like to purchase an electric bike worth a 1000W. The area that I live in has extreme hills and having a powerful motor in my electric bike is absolutely crucial. The electric bike which I am figuring on buying has a quick switch which can regulate the power output to no more than 250W in a span of a second, is there any way that Gardai might still realize the power wattage of the motor? Are there any tests that they run on your electric bike if they ever stop you?

Furthermore, I have also heard that having a throttle on your E-bike is not allowed at all, is that true? Can I just have it on but yet disable it in the settings without having any issues with Gardai?

Hi G !
You see from the replies above a simple question engenders a wide range of response ready such as regulations without teeth or simple traffic tickets

G: You need a disk brake bike and a Bafang BBSHD mid drive kit with a big enough battery for you - learn how to build it how it works mechanically and electrically onto a bike that fits you and ride it.
If there is a problem - what EXACTLY is the worst that could happen?
Some boss man takes your CHEAP and powerful & capable home built Irish eBike ? Why? The whole thing is not illegal
Good Luck

Ireland police don't have ebikes to patrol trails. My remedy is a display that shows 250w.

My bike is registered. As a normal pedal bicycle.
Cops are nice over here.
They look for decal like this. See picture.
Im gonna stick it on my bike it has to be on the saddle tube facing forward.
Cops can take your bike if you don't have this stuck on your bike.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425_212836_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_212836_Photos.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 14
We have a reactionary police force in the UK, it simply responds to incidents that are easy to confront legally and logistically or via technology.

Everything is slowly heading towards justice by roadside detector.

I fully expect manadtory ID chips that connect to 5G, Apple and Google's mesh network.

Keep all your old controllers and motors people, the new stuff will have burst airtag Bluetooth built in.

It's beyond tinhat, its the brave new world, the luddites were so correct.

Ireland is not Britain, like it or not :)
Gardai is certainly not the British Police.
(Don't let yourself get provoked, CR!)

The answers to the OP questions are so simple (Ireland is a EU country):
  • No throttle allowed (or necessary). The motor must be activated by pedalling.
  • The motor shall be "Euro", that is, 250 W nominal (the peak power can be far higher)
  • The assisted speed is restricted to 25 km/h (15.5 mph)
A good Euro e-bike meeting the criteria as above is capable of doing extreme climbs, as all Euro e-MTBs prove.

1714126663733.png

My brother is now 60, and I am 63. We did not need illegal e-bikes to do extreme climbs in Polish or Czech mountains.

Last edited:

Hiya G

Despite sounding powerful 1000wh hub motors are not the best for Irish hills or mountains. Any Bosch or Brose or Shimano full power (250wh with 70=90 torque) motor with appropriate low gearing will be fine.

But it depends what you want. None of these have a throttle, the PAS assist is enough to fly up on these bikes. If you want a throttle then ask around, bound to be plenty of imports but checkout how decent & reliable longterm they'll be in the wet muddy Irish winters, how heavy they are to manhandle around, some of the throttle bikes are very heavy and as they'll be imports & a grey area legally make sure the warranty is reliable as ALL ebikes breakdown at some point, and if they'll collect your bike etc etc that's why the back up of a local bike shop & reputable brand so you can easily get your heavy bike back to the shop and they'll sort out the problem is so important with ebikes. Happy hunting.

Also on these boards you are going to find fans of all kinds of e bikes. It's a broad church here. And everyone gets along famously. 🙂

Ireland is not Britain, like it or not
Don't know anybody who dislikes the fact Ireland is a separate country. After all it has been for 102 years.
Northern Ireland however is more complicated. Approx half wish to stay part of UK, approx half wish to rejoin the Irish Republic. If you live in Norn Iron then under the Good Friday Agreement you have the choice of Irish or British passports and thankfully there are no longer any borders between the two parts of Ireland. You can drive Dublin to Belfast with no checks, stops at the old border and you can go from anywhere in the whole of Ireland to anywhere in UK with no passport (legally that is, though due to modern airport security you'll need identification to fly etc so a passport is recommended) this is called the common travel area. And post Brexit a lot of Northern Irish of both traditions are now getting Irish passports for ease of travel on mainland Europe!

Don't know anybody who dislikes the fact Ireland is a separate country.
An island.
That's why I used the name of "Britain".

I'm being updated with current Irish affairs. This year, we are planning a holiday in Donegal County. Guess why :)

Back