Turbo Tero 3.0, anyone?

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
Specialized Bicycles went on sales in Europe. There is a sweet offer for a Tero 3.0, it is around US$2,600 including the tax. A friend has asked me whether her husband would benefit from buying the e-bike for their touring trips (she owns a Giant Explore+).

I would tell her Tero 3.0 requires equipping it with the Specialized rear fender and the rack. However, I have no idea what range could you expect from the 530 Wh battery of Tero 3.0 in Eco mode. Anyone, experiences?

My experience with my 2019 Vado 3 was that I could get about 35 miles of mostly-level riding with the setting in Eco with the 460wh battery. With the 530wh battery being about 15% larger I would guesstimate range in Eco to be at least 40 miles and perhaps even 50 miles. Of course this will vary based on riding conditions, elevation gain, and rider weight. I weigh just over 200lbs and I routinely got 35 miles on my original 460wh battery before I upgraded to the 604wh battery.

On the other hand, my Vado 3 with the 530wh battery, 200lb rider, easily gets 70 miles or more per charge. I ride in Eco except for some nasty hills, now tuned to 10-30% assist; Sport I have set to 50-70%; and Turbo 80-100%. I used to have Eco set to 5-25% and could go even further. This is also with Schwalbe Hurricane tires, generally run at 38 psi front, 42 psi rear. As you know, @Stefan Mikes , Specialized bikes can be tuned 🤣 and that will impact range.

On the other hand, my Vado 3 with the 530wh battery, 200lb rider, easily gets 70 miles or more per charge. I ride in Eco except for some nasty hills, now tuned to 10-30% assist; Sport I have set to 50-70%; and Turbo 80-100%. I used to have Eco set to 5-25% and could go even further. This is also with Schwalbe Hurricane tires, generally run at 38 psi front, 42 psi rear. As you know, @Stefan Mikes , Specialized bikes can be tuned 🤣 and that will impact range.
Thank you for the data! The friend got interested with a purchase of a Tero 3.0 mainly because of the attractive sale price. I suggested a visit in Specialized Warsaw and having a chat with their best salesman. Meanwhile, my friend complained on the heavy weight of the Giant Explore+ she already owns. She and her husband are lightweight and sporty people. They go on 80 km (50 mi) daily expeditions that extend for several days. Any of them carries 8-10 kg in panniers. She said carrying the Explore+, e.g., upstairs is an ordeal on their trips. I told her about the Vado SL and they started talking with the salesman.

As the man showed her a Vado SL 5.0 EQ, she fell in love with the e-bike. She got attracted to the techno talk: 'A suspension stem, a carbon fork and a 12-speed drivetrain!' Only the SL 5.0 EQ is very expensive and not on the special sale! However, it looks she's got infected and now considers a purchase of an SL EQ not only for her husband but also for herself! I only told her I would anyway select an SL 4.0 EQ which is included in the sale at a very attractive price (and the SL 4.0 non-EQ is cheaper than the Tero 3.0!)

Not sure what the friend will do but it is how it looked yesterday :)

Last edited:
I do wonder about the Tero as a product. It's really not much of an off-pavement bike. The 4.0 I tried was less capable and comfortable than my Diverge. The Diverge can take some really chunky nasty terrain without beating me up. Vado (full size) just seems like the better all-rounder product (unless maybe the Tero could run tubeless..? That would be interesting)
Vado SL (the 4.0) also impressed me quite a bit on test ride.

Btw, Stefan we've talked about the Redshift stem versus Futureshock and I did a bit of reading on that too lately. The Redshift seems to come out on top in most comparisons. Maybe your friend could simply add that to the 4.0 EQ?

(unless maybe the Tero could run tubeless..? That would be interesting)
It is tubeless ready!

Btw, Stefan we've talked about the Redshift stem versus Futureshock and I did a bit of reading on that too lately. The Redshift seems to come out on top in most comparisons. Maybe your friend could simply add that to the 4.0 EQ?
She's a friend of mine but not a close friend. She still regrets their decision to buy a heavy e-bike back in the pandemic times. I am not a person to tell her "buy an e-bike and then become your own mechanic" as adding the Redshift to a 4.0 EQ is not straightforward. She and husband must make their own decision, or I would be put the blame on.

Update

The salesman at Specialized Warsaw has found a Vado SL 5.0 ST EQ in size L for the equivalent of less than US$3,000. I think my friend's husband is buying it :)

Back