Superior a good brand?

knibbeman

Region
Other
Im about to buy my first bike and this looks like a good deal.
500wh battery
internal gear hub
60nm

anybody rides this brand? its not that much of reviews about it,

Yes, it looks to be a good brand. It is a Czech company located in Beskyd mountains.
What specific model are you into? 500 Wh battery is not very much nowadays but it depends on the e-bike type.

i tried a trek verve +2 with bosch performance 65nm motor, felt like buttersmooth motor.

this has the bosch active plus with 50nm , im gonna use it from home to work. its a 17km ride both ways. so 500wh is enough for me.
and its a flat ride until the last 400 meter wich is a steep hill. is 50nm enough for that?

it has good components aswell, and looks better than the trek verve +2 i tried

i tried a trek verve +2 with bosch performance 65nm motor, felt like buttersmooth motor.

this has the bosch active plus with 50nm , im gonna use it from home to work. its a 17km ride both ways. so 500wh is enough for me.
and its a flat ride until the last 400 meter wich is a steep hill. is 50nm enough for that?

it has good components aswell, and looks better than the trek verve +2 i tried
Why don't you just name the Superior e-bike model so I could see the specs? it is not only the motor but also gearing.

It's hard to say if the 50 Nm motor will take you uphill if the grade % is not known.

OK, I did some calculation.

If your data are correct, you would need around 370 W of total mechanical power to climb that hill. The motor itself can deliver some 314 W mechanical. As the hub is perhaps 90% efficient, the max mechanical power delivered to the rear wheel would be around 280 W. What is remaining is 90 W that you should be able to provide with your own legs (it should not be difficult for you). So your climb on the Superior SBC 400i L looks to be doable in the maximum assistance mode.

I also take your explanation you need the e-bike for a relatively short commute.

The only thing I am not happy with is the Nexus hub gearbox, which has a narrow range of gears. The easiest gear on the Nexus 7 internally geared hub combined with the 38T chainring and the 18T rear cog is 1.33, which is not the greatest mountain gearing. Have you considered another e-bike model with a derailleur and chain maybe?

Is Superior sold locally where you live? Having a Local Bike Store handling a given brand is vital for e-bikes.

Ah ok then it seems fine. No its not sold here, they mostly sell trek/ specialized / cresent / Scott.

I liked the verve + 2 wich is on a deal now the allant + was around 500 euro more expensive

Oh well, Verve is not that nice, in my opinion... Is Verve+ a Bosch Smart System e-bike? I ask because the Superior looks to be indeed the new Smart System e-bike. However, if you are buying online, who would handle the repairs and warranty?

If you mean the flow app ? Then verve has it. And i have emailed my local bikeretailer if they could take home the superior. What would you spend around 2500-2700euro on? I want a nice commuter bike.

If your dealer handles Specialized, I might recommend a Turbo Vado 3.0. The only drawback is a huge chainring there but replacing the chainring to a smaller one is one of easiest operations that could be done on an e-bike. The plus here is the chain/derailleur system is very efficient. The 2.0E motor of the Vado 3.0 delivers as much as 430 Wh peak mechanical power, and is far stronger than the advertised 50 Nm (it is around 68 Nm).

The price is EUR2900 but Specialized dealers often give 10% customary discount on an e-bike purchase.

Necessary to mention, the easiest gear on Vado 3.0 is exactly the same as on the Superior (1.33x) but the max power of the Specialized motor is a way higher than on the Bosch e-bike. Specialized claim 50 Nm for the 2.0E motor solely for marketing purposes (it is 68 Nm) to make you buy the more expensive Vado 4.0 :)

I also need to mention the components on Vado 3.0 are a class higher than they are on the Superior e-bike. As an extra, you are getting Mastermind electronics that is light-years more advanced than the Bosch Smart System :)

Back