Turbo Vado SL 5.0 and Specialized App - Range Extender

Douglas Ruby

Region
USA
City
Groton
Hi all, while this may have been discussed elsewhere, I did not see it on my search of the forum. My problem:

I made the mistake of believing Specialized back in March when they said Mission Control would be disabled at the end of March and I had to switch over to the new Specialized App. I did this without fully understanding how green (i.e. not functional) the new App is.

A REALLY big piece of functionality for me is that the new App appears not to display the active status (charge level) of the connected range extender or deal with anything other than the potential charge status (health and # of cycles) of the main battery. Further, it no longer seems to support the "Use Range extender first" option.

For really long rides (over 45 mi), I travel with two range extenders and the ability to understand the real charge status of them is vital to my battery management. I tend to start the ride in "use range extender first" mode until the range extender is down to around 15%. I then swap over to the 2nd range extender and "use both batteries" mode for the remainder of the ride.

Am I missing something?

Hi all, while this may have been discussed elsewhere, I did not see it on my search of the forum. My problem:

I made the mistake of believing Specialized back in March when they said Mission Control would be disabled at the end of March and I had to switch over to the new Specialized App. I did this without fully understanding how green (i.e. not functional) the new App is.

A REALLY big piece of functionality for me is that the new App appears not to display the active status (charge level) of the connected range extender or deal with anything other than the potential charge status (health and # of cycles) of the main battery. Further, it no longer seems to support the "Use Range extender first" option.

For really long rides (over 45 mi), I travel with two range extenders and the ability to understand the real charge status of them is vital to my battery management. I tend to start the ride in "use range extender first" mode until the range extender is down to around 15%. I then swap over to the 2nd range extender and "use both batteries" mode for the remainder of the ride.

Am I missing something?
Yes, you miss something. (Not everything, just something) :)
  • Mission Control has actually stopped working.
  • Please update the Specialized App (mine is on Android).
  • The App shows the total charge of both batteries. I cannot remember I could see the separate value for RE in MC (I could be wrong here).
  • It is true the App does not show the RE status. Besides, MC or SA have never shown the true battery health (it is all bogus).
  • "Discharge Range Extender First" option does exist under "Settings". Just slide the screen up.
If you want to always know the status of your Range Extenders, there are two options:
  • If your Vado SL is non-Mastermind, invest $10 in BLEvo app. Note: If you made the SA "the companion app", uninstall SA after you have installed BLEvo. BLEvo has the Battery Monitor that tells you the gospel truth about your batteries;
  • Or -- sorry to say it -- buy a Wahoo ELEMNT bike GPS computer. Wahoo reads the main battery and Range Extender levels separately. No other bike GPS computer can do it! (It is like a premium display for Specialized e-bikes with GPS navigation feature and ride recording). Even SA can read the Wahoo data and store them in the Specialized Cloud!

"Further, it no longer seems to support the "Use Range extender first" option."

Discharge RE first option appears under Settings (Bike Settings) after the bike is ON and connected with a RE for my non-Mastermind Creo SL. You can have both BLEvo and Specialized installed as apps. If you want to switch just force stop the one you are not using. I rarely use either app except to turn on the RE first mode or check batteries status numbers.

I have spent over an hour with Specialized Support on this and other topics...here is some additional feedback....
  • The support tech showed me where use RE first was (as you all have so kindly done)
  • No detailed charge level in the APP for RE's (this was in MC)
  • You can no longer read serial number or firmware versions in the APP (available in MC).
  • To get current firmware details and know whether you need an update, you must manually provide your serial number to support at Specialized, or take your bike to the dealer. No way to check otherwise. This has to make support harder for customers as well as dealers and feels like a reversion to the bad old days of the original TURBO (aka 2015 - 2017)
  • The only way to know when to change RE's when using "use RE first" mode is to let the thing run down until the battery management drops assist down to ECO level no matter what (10-15% left?). This always happens to me when climbing a steep hill.
  • I use a Garmin Edge Explore 2 and like it a lot (except for reporting battery status!) That is just about the only reason I used Mission Control during a ride, to verify individual battery charge status. I used Mission Control to verify firmware (know when to go to the dealer), set the "RE use first" (which I can do in SA), and set ECO/SPORT/TURBO assist levels (which I can do in SA).
All in all, I am not terribly happy with the APP and would use Mission Control if I could. However, within the limits of what it claims to do, I suppose it works fairly well and is light years ahead of early versions of Mission Control that I lived through with my original 2015 Turbo (with Turbo S battery).

Well Douglas, remember the saying: "Slowly grind the mills of Specialized" :) Or, "Ye goode ole Specialized" :D

The App will be developed more, it only will take months. It is a pity you have standardized on Garmin. I own as many as 4 Range Extenders and have learned to live with them. Besides, is your Vado SL Mastermind or not? (Read what Allan and I wrote on BLEvo).

Well Douglas, remember the saying: "Slowly grind the mills of Specialized" :) Or, "Ye goode ole Specialized" :D

The App will be developed more, it only will take months. It is a pity you have standardized on Garmin. I own as many as 4 Range Extenders and have learned to live with them. Besides, is your Vado SL Mastermind or not? (Read what Allan and I wrote on BLEvo).
Mine is a 2022 which came with Mastermind. (which I like a lot).

BTW, I really appreciate your replies. In the past I have been pretty active here, but I had been debilitatingly sick for most of the last 6+ months with a variety of ailments (some serious). I am well again and today was my first outdoor ride of the season. It is GREAT to be back, even w/o Mission Control!

Last edited:
Back