How do you mount a phone on the Como (22-23) ?

Fender

Region
Europe
City
Lyon
The handlebar is so specific, how do you mount a phone on this ? the 22mm part is so narrow and the rest of the free handlebar has a profile incompatible with 99% of mounts, so how do you do it ? with pics please :)

Where are your pics of the handlebar ? perhaps you assume we all know what every bike combo is ?

"Como is a city and comune in Lombardy"

screenshot-od-como-manual-jpg.165142
90422-42_COMO-40-IGH-REDTNT-SILREFL_D1-POV

The handlebar is so specific, how do you mount a phone on this ? the 22mm part is so narrow and the rest of the free handlebar has a profile incompatible with 99% of mounts, so how do you do it ? with pics please :)
in addition to, or instead of the specialized TCD thing shown in the photo?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy/elegant alternative if there's not enough real estate inboard of the lever mounts or you don't want your phone mounted off centre.

I had a couple of possible ideas for the design of a 3d printed component:
  1. Some sort of swan neck clamp which goes around the thick black column above the head tube (in the approximate location of 'C' in the diagram) and rises up in front of the handlebars and accepts a phone mount.
  2. A component that is sandwiched between the existing screen mount and handlebars and then extends either backward or forward to accept a phone mount (in the approximate location of 'B' in the diagram).
Personally, I would be leaning towards exploring option 2 if I were to proceed with this.

You can't really remove it, so, in addition to :D
well - if it was me, i would model and 3d print an angled / skewed clamp for the bars that would position a quad-lock or sp-connect mount just above the bars and to the right of the TCD. easy thumb reach from the grips and relatively low/protected.

the quad lock and sp heads are available separately, so you can just model a mount that has a bolt hold and captive nut and bolt them on for perfect connection.

This strap mount for a Quadlock case may work. I would use a strip of rubber tape under it to give the strap more adhesion and resist movement.

The car mount would work as well, perhaps with some rubber tape and some tie wraps for extra security.
However, aesthetically, would be a no go for me.

To me, Quadlock is the way to go, but that's a personal choice. As a trail/MTB rider, I've given the setup the full test a few times!
The rubber tape I refer to is somewhat specialized but if you google it, you'll find something that will work.
I use it all the time to make my own anti-slip gaskets.

Good luck

@Fender - What is the width of the handlebar stem/base? What about a clamp similar to the idea that @Bavi suggested in option 1? RAM makes a variety of clamps, extension sockets, and even phone mounts that you could attach to the base of the handlebar and articulate it in a manner so that the phone is at the same the height of the stock display either facing out front or having the clamp attached to the rear of the handlebar stem. The articulating sockets are what makes it so adjustable. I don’t know how secure the Ram phone mounts are but you could always use a 1" Quadlock ball mount attached to a RAM extension.

1704397414508.png

I use a RAM Tough claw to hold a handlebar mount/platform for a drone controller and I can attest that it has a firm grip on the entire assembly. I admit that it’s not as elegant as a custom-made mount but it can be attached and removed in seconds and the phone would obscure what’s holding it in place anyways.

i have an old ram double ball mount for a motorbike, with the old U-screws clamp I'll check if the rest of the form factor is usable with the handlebar

Wife's Como.

Cable ties are just for backup since I am not totally comfortable with O-ring mounts, especially on bumpy trails.

Attachments

• 20231230_220550.jpg
    20231230_220550.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20231230_220612.jpg
    20231230_220612.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 1704511044896.png
    1704511044896.png
    415.5 KB · Views: 83
^ I notice they are Shimano brake master cylinders, are they standard? Mine came with Sram M/Cs and from memory are bit more bulky (and possibly offer a little less free real estate)
Good info nonetheless 👍

oh I just had an epiphany moment.
The TCD mount is a garmin mount, so, an elegant solution would be to have a custom phone case with a garmin male part mount on the back/center and on the upper part of the phone case, a female garmin mount to put the mastermind TCD. and when you don't need the phone, voilà, back to normal !
Need to find that or make one myself, but seems doable

@Fender I have used this with great success.

Yeah I need to find something to stick exactly this, a plate and a female garmin mount under an iPhone case

Back