The transition

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Led by solar, low-emissions electricity technologies are expected to account for almost 90% of investment in power generation.
Global heat pump sales have seen double-digit annual growth since 2021.
Electric vehicle sales are expected to leap by a third this year after already surging in 2022.

Led by solar, low-emissions electricity technologies are expected to account for almost 90% of investment in power generation.
Global heat pump sales have seen double-digit annual growth since 2021.
Electric vehicle sales are expected to leap by a third this year after already surging in 2022.
Might be a good time to buy an ICE car pretty soon. Too bad there are no tax incentives. After owning EV for 2 years, I may sell it and get either a Hybrid or a Truck. I used to own a truck and forgot why I sold it!

News reports abound re: auto manufacturers struggling with excess inventory. Tough situation for them having signed expensive new labor contracts, facing decreasing revenues and lower tailpipe emission mandates.
Charging stations are dearth between California and New York.
During a recent cross-country drive we encountered vandalized charging stations at the hotels we stayed at.
GM is increasing their ICE production.
I am really liking my new Honda CR-V Sport Touring Hybrid.

News reports abound re: auto manufacturers struggling with excess inventory. Tough situation for them having signed expensive new labor contracts, facing decreasing revenues and lower tailpipe emission mandates.
Charging stations are dearth between California and New York.
During a recent cross-country drive we encountered vandalized charging stations at the hotels we stayed at.
GM is increasing their ICE production.
I am really liking my new Honda CR-V Sport Touring Hybrid.
I pulled into a charging station in Riverside County a couple of months ago and both chargers were severed right at the connectors. 2 new charging stations useless. I've also pulled into numerous chargers and they are out of order or I've had to call the 800 number to get them back on line. It really makes one appreciate gas...

I was so enthusiastic about and ready to buy an EV until I got one for a loaner for two weeks while my car was getting a warrantee repair. The EV itself, a Hyundai Kona, was a really nice car, fun as hell to drive. It doesn’t weigh much and has the usual ton of EV torque so it would chirp its tires at the slightest urging. However, the reality of non Tesla charging bit me hard, as expected.

At least half the available chargers around here (Saratoga County NY, the capital region, for crying out loud) were always broken outright or turned out to be non functional when connected to; and for an area this populated and prosperous, there are very few around anyway… other than Tesla, again. I ended up twice having to go fifteen miles over to the Tesla Supercharger in Saratoga Springs to get a charge, that being one of the rare Tesla chargers that have the Magic Dock. Of course, the Tesla experience was excellent.

Even given that bit of good news, after our recent trip down to Charlotte and back, I conclude that we are several years away from an EV being an all round reliable option. And the increase in their numbers on the road, if anything, is going to make the charger situation worse, with waiting in line becoming a real issue. In a Wal Mart parking lot.

I pulled into a charging station in Riverside County a couple of months ago and both chargers were severed right at the connectors. 2 new charging stations useless. I've also pulled into numerous chargers and they are out of order or I've had to call the 800 number to get them back on line. It really makes one appreciate gas...
I hate to hit like on that, but it is what I am hearing everywhere on the Eastern US.
People who usually charge at home being shocked at how few places they really could charge on a roadtrip. One friend even sold his almost new EV and leased an ICE car for the next few years. Others claim they will rent a gas car for future roadtrips.

I hate to hit like on that, but it is what I am hearing everywhere on the Eastern US.
People who usually charge at home being shocked at how few places they really could charge on a roadtrip. One friend even sold his almost new EV and leased an ICE car for the next few years. Others claim they will rent a gas car for future roadtrips.
Renting an ICE vehicle for road trips is an idea I've proposed to several friends worried about range for occasional long trips.

As for excess inventory, I've been looking for weeks in the Piedmont Triad for the 24 (or even a 23!) Kona EV - there's nary a one to be found! SOMEbody is buying them...

Yeah. A civilized infrastructure would push big rental SUVs for roadtrips, ebikes and golf carts for local streets, etc. And I could get anywhere in a Hybrid for that matter.

So anyway, the thing that bothers about about EVs that I assume Elon knows, is that e cars aren't enough : scooters , ebikes, micromobility vehicles are how most of the world ( including Americans) will get around locally... trains, touring cars, and busses with AI pilots can be rented for long distances much cheaper than keeping a big SUV in every garage for two or three long trips a year, even once a month.

And parking big vehicles in the cities is just ridiculous.

I was so enthusiastic about and ready to buy an EV until I got one for a loaner for two weeks while my car was getting a warrantee repair. The EV itself, a Hyundai Kona, was a really nice car, fun as hell to drive. It doesn’t weigh much and has the usual ton of EV torque so it would chirp its tires at the slightest urging. However, the reality of non Tesla charging bit me hard, as expected.

At least half the available chargers around here (Saratoga County NY, the capital region, for crying out loud) were always broken outright or turned out to be non functional when connected to; and for an area this populated and prosperous, there are very few around anyway… other than Tesla, again. I ended up twice having to go fifteen miles over to the Tesla Supercharger in Saratoga Springs to get a charge, that being one of the rare Tesla chargers that have the Magic Dock. Of course, the Tesla experience was excellent.

Even given that bit of good news, after our recent trip down to Charlotte and back, I conclude that we are several years away from an EV being an all round reliable option. And the increase in their numbers on the road, if anything, is going to make the charger situation worse, with waiting in line becoming a real issue. In a Wal Mart parking lot.
Yeah, right now Tesla is the only option as far as I'm concerned where you will not experience as much range anxiety. I've pulled into Tesla charging stations and they are nice. 8-12 stations, many open and available and fast. My Kona EV is a glorified golf cart/grocery getter only good for around town driving. Charge Point and EV Go and the other outfits are like the step children of charging stations. I also hate when I pull into a charging station and there are ICE cars parked in the charging spots so their owners can get a better parking spot to shop or eat. Have been tempted to leave them a note but I'm usually too mad and would write something I would regret!!

Yeah, one thing I've been hearing is that nearly all EV charging stations have spaces for small vehicles, so if you show up with a Rivian or F150 lightning you inevitably take up two spaces. The same thing will happen with the Cybertruck. I've also noticed yahoos love to park and block the EV charging stations.

When I've talked to people about the F150 two things I keep hearing about: one is that the app you use to charge is garbage and unreliable; the other is about finding space to charge at public chargers. When you look around there are a fair number of used F150 lightnings on the market with low miles and quite a ways (like $10K) below blue book.

Yeah, right now Tesla is the only option as far as I'm concerned where you will not experience as much range anxiety. I've pulled into Tesla charging stations and they are nice. 8-12 stations, many open and available and fast. My Kona EV is a glorified golf cart/grocery getter only good for around town driving. Charge Point and EV Go and the other outfits are like the step children of charging stations. I also hate when I pull into a charging station and there are ICE cars parked in the charging spots so their owners can get a better parking spot to shop or eat. Have been tempted to leave them a note but I'm usually too mad and would write something I would regret!!
There are 2 fast chargers in the parking garage at my gym in NC. Sometimes people in ICE vehicles use them for parking spaces, but the security guards kick them out.

Infrastructure is being built - perhaps not as fast as we'd like, but there are more and more chargers coming online every day. It won't always be like it is today 😁.

I'll probably have an EV within the next year - most of my needs can be addressed with charging at home, and there are more options every day for long trips.

I really like what the Australians are doing with combining electric vehicles with rooftop solar panels so the battery pack can be shared between the house and car for outages. But that may burn up the batteries faster, IDK.

Musk has been hinting at a super cheap EV , claiming he has made an assembly line like the world has never seen.
I won't be buying an EV till the dust has settled, if ever.
Tesla Plaid owners getting stung by a 50K price drop for the new model.
Ouch!

Musk has been hinting at a super cheap EV , claiming he has made an assembly line like the world has never seen.
I won't be buying an EV till the dust has settled, if ever.
Tesla Plaid owners getting stung by a 50K price drop for the new model.
Ouch!
Elon is a real master of using OPM , usually taxpayers here in the states. So anything ultra cheap is suspicious 🤔. Even scammy.
Maybe that's why he's rich.
The truth is that the big money market is for status cars in the US.

Last edited:
Back