Bike mysteriously turns on by itself

mmwolfe

Region
USA
Hey all, my partner has a Faraday Porter S, which she's had for years and LOVES. Besides it being a great bike, it also has significant sentimental value.

Unfortunately, when she got the bike serviced a couple months back, the repair folks power-washed around the box on the back and some water snuck into a sensitive region. Ever since, the bike has begun to spontaneously turn itself on. When we turn it off, it turns right back on again. We've tried basic stuff -- charging the battery all the way, letting the battery run down, opening the back of the bike and unplugging the power cable, etc... -- but it's still doing it. The bike been drying out for months now, so it's not a question of water still being in there.

We're wondering if there's ANY way of fixing this, up to and including replacing expensive parts or finding someone, somewhere, to do a firmware update? We understand the simplest thing to do is to just get another bike but, again, there's sentiment here and the bike otherwise runs great, so we're loathe to toss it. Any advice is much appreciated.

I don't have advice but that is an interestingly sexy looking bike and I really hope you find help to fix it.

edit: bummer
"
Effective October 31, 2021, Faraday Bicycles, Inc., will no longer provide customer service or warranty support for its products. Technical support articles will continue to be available at www.faradaybikes.com. Aftermarket parts, subject to availability, will continue to be sold through www.faradaybikeparts.com, the sole authorized third-party reseller of Faraday parts. If you purchased a Faraday product from a dealer, please reach out to that dealer for any outstanding support questions.

You may purchase parts from this authorized Faraday reseller."

Last edited:
Ouch! Wish I could help with the fix.

Curious, though, is the Einstein who power-washed that electrical box helping you with the repair?

Well, repairs start with $200 for a new controller. I don't have a faraday, but have had water get inside two or three controllers. They will sizzle and die in few minutes when that happens. No amount of rice or silicon dioxide packs will repair corroded printed circuit traces. Fortunately, my controllers are $30.

Well, repairs start with $200 for a new controller. I don't have a faraday, but have had water get inside two or three controllers. They will sizzle and die in few minutes when that happens. No amount of rice or silicon dioxide packs will repair corroded printed circuit traces. Fortunately, my controllers are $30.
Oh, wow -- thank you for pointing that out. If I can find one of those (they're out of stock) I would happily buy it. $200, all things considered, is not a bad price compared to an unusable bike.

Back