YDX Moro Pro Problem after Problem

mtb Rob

Region
USA
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I purchased my new Yamaha Moro Pro April 8, 2022, and loved it! I rode it once or twice a week, and put just over 250 miles on it. Sometime in mid-September the bike lost pedal assist. Took it back to the dealer where I bought it. They replaced the speed sensor and meter. (took over a month to get the parts.) Now it is late October, and they learned that did not solve the problem. Next they ordered a whole new motor and wiring harness. That took until the end of January to come in, and repair completed mid-February. No problem, I live in northeast Ohio - not much mountain biking that time of year. I picked the bike up the first part of April, when I got back in town from being down south. I tested it at the dealer, and all seemed to be ok. I brought the bike home, did a couple laps in my driveway (it's a long driveway). Battery showed 68%, so I put it on the charger. Checked 4 hours later, and the battery showed 67% - plugged it back into the charger, the green charge light turned off after 15 seconds, and the meter turned red and threw a code. Called the dealer and was told they were no longer a Yamaha e-bike dealer - Great! Found a dealer over 120 miles away, so April15, 2023, I made the 2-1/2 hour trek to them. They had the bike 6 weeks, replacing the charging port assembly, and they removed the motor and repaired loose wires. I picked the bike up on May 30th - again, all seemed to be ok. Rode the bike May 31st for 1-1/2 hours and again on June 4th for 1 hr. During that ride the power assist light started going on and off. It then showed a Code 12 Red, and the bike lost all power. Found a third dealer, new to Yamaha. They have been VERY sympathetic and bending over backwards to try to solve the problem. The owner even took the bike to a FOURTH Yamaha guy when Yamaha wanted them to repeat everything that dealer #2 had just done, and they realized they could not do all that timely. That is where it is now. The Yamaha customer service representative was very supportive at the beginning of this whole nightmare last fall, but he has been transferred to a different department. I am at the end of my rope - I don't want to call it a LEMON, but come on, it is now July and I still have no bike!! I'm going to be 69 years old in November - let's face it, the hourglass has more sand in the bottom than the top, and I sure would like to think I will get at least some of my almost $6000 money's worth!! Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do sympathize with you and your bike problems, 6k is a lot of money for an ebike that doesn't work. It shouldn't be all that difficult to troubleshoot and repair. The larger problem might be a general lack trained and skilled ebike technicians. A career opportunity is surely there for someone.

I'm going to be 69 years old in November - let's face it, the hourglass has more sand in the bottom than the top, and I sure would like to think I will get at least some of my almost $6000 money's worth!!
Great comment. I hope they get yours fixed. Unfortunately your clock is ticking and it takes Yamaha 2 months to get parts.

Mine is the YDX Moro Pro purchased in April 2022. it has a speedometer, and pickup sensor.
The picture you sent does not appear to have those components,

Yamaha bicycle dealers can come and go. The sell some bad bikes in your area and the dealer gives up. Then your 3 yr warranty basically disappears. Yamaha plans it that way. They need to unload those bad bikes somewhere.

Back