Optibike R22 Everest

Timpo

šŸ˜²
$18,900
3,260Wh battery

300-mile adventure ebike gets wired for Everest-level epics

The Best Long Range E-Bike Ā» Optibike High Performance E-Bikes

The Optibike is a beautiful bike.
I wish they would implement a decent Torque based pedal assist system for it, and eventually use the Kindernay VII for its IGH.

Not specified on the product page, but those frame tube angles (specifically the ST) look pretty wild.

šŸ˜²
$18,900
3,260Wh battery

300-mile adventure ebike gets wired for Everest-level epics

The Best Long Range E-Bike Ā» Optibike High Performance E-Bikes
20 grand US for a 93 lb ebike, no thank you...

I have been too busy to post since getting the R22. I am 500 miles in, and to be brief, the bike is more than I expected. The new PAS is working almost perfectly. Every once in a while, it does not stop assisting as quickly as my Archon (Innotrace), but that has only happened maybe four times, and I think it may have more to do with the Rohloff, but I am not sure. The part I was not expecting is how solid the bike is. It reminds me of a pre-Lexus Mercedes. Despite the battery weight, there is no flexing like my Apollo. One finger braking with perfect control, even on descents with a heavy bike. It is time to change the oil in the Rohloff per the break in spec, but I expect much less maintenance as the motor is sealed with a 10,000-mile service interval. I got tired of regreasing the M620 every 800 or so miles.
I will post some pics soon. But mostly wanted to comment on the PAS torque sensor operation. It works!

I have been too busy to post since getting the R22. I am 500 miles in, and to be brief, the bike is more than I expected. The new PAS is working almost perfectly. Every once in a while, it does not stop assisting as quickly as my Archon (Innotrace), but that has only happened maybe four times, and I think it may have more to do with the Rohloff, but I am not sure. The part I was not expecting is how solid the bike is. It reminds me of a pre-Lexus Mercedes. Despite the battery weight, there is no flexing like my Apollo. One finger braking with perfect control, even on descents with a heavy bike. It is time to change the oil in the Rohloff per the break in spec, but I expect much less maintenance as the motor is sealed with a 10,000-mile service interval. I got tired of regreasing the M620 every 800 or so miles.
I will post some pics soon. But mostly wanted to comment on the PAS torque sensor operation. It works!
What kind of range are you getting with it?

Did you get technical details about the implementation of the torque sensor, where is it, what controller they use....
Thanks

Did you get technical details about the implementation of the torque sensor, where is it, what controller they use....
Thanks
I did not ask those questions because I asked too many other questions, but the "motorized bottom bracket" is symmetrical, with the cranks attached directly to the motor's rotor, which is also the torque sensor. So the torque sensor is also the rotor and spindle, unlike my M620, where the cranks connect to the torque sensor, which is also the spindle but NOT the rotor. The M620 spindle/torque sensor has intermediate gears connecting it to the rotor, whereas the Optibike MBB is all three in one. The controller is proprietary and is mounted up by the headtube inside the frame, not in the motor. I can take pictures of the controller without taking it out, I think.

So the motor itself is an IPM with a custom billet casing, and the controller is separate and tucked inside the frame. Even without the reduction gears, it did power up a good grade on level 5 once when I failed to get out of 14th gear early enough. My speed dropped to like 2 mph and 10 rpm but the motor continued to pull me to the top of the hill. Not recommended I know but it must have been pulling well over 60 amps and completed the climb. Note the service interval of the MBB is 10k miles.

Sorry, it works very well just not quite as well as my Innotrace. But that is on the margins for sure. It works as well or better than anything else I have riden. For instance the on a hard climb where you did not drop down to a low a gear as optimal you experience some run on once you top the climb but if you brake it will stop without interupt brakes just fine. No complaints at all really.

I am all rigged for bike camping, with trailer etc. and have been on a few short trips. Just life events getting in the way of the long tour.

Hey Kurt, Iā€™ve got an R17 on the way, should be here next week. I fully expected (and wanted) a coil shock based on the fact that every Elite Optibike Iā€™ve seen has one. Plus I like the ride of a coil shock. To my surprise mine has an air shock and I was told by Optibike itā€™s because there is a new ā€œenduro linkā€ that evidently doesnā€™t allow a coil shock as thereā€™s not enough clearance. Super disappointing to me but I guess Iā€™m stuck with an air shock. Did your R22 come with coil or air?

Back