Kona Hub Motors?

Jimmy666

1666690126523.png
Electric bikes are taking over the streets. Everywhere you look you’ll see someone happily cruising through urban centers, bike paths, commuting to work or school, or carting their kid to daycare. The bandwagon is getting pretty full of people who realize that riding doesn’t have to be hard, doesn’t have to make you sweaty, and should be the highlight of the day! We know how much bikes improve our lives and are excited to launch an entirely new line of electric bikes that we know will make riding more fun for everyone. Say hello to our new hub-drive electric bikes!

Interesting to read Kona went with the Suntour hub motor system. That has been used for some years on Raleigh and Carrera branded ebikes in the UK, and some Raleigh Electric bikes in the US. There were some early issues that appear to have been fixed as the system was updated in 2018/19. For an idea of motor performance here is Court's review of the 2020 Raleigh Misceo with the Suntour system, and a UK review of a 2019 Carrera Crossfire with the updated Suntour hub system.

I'm glad Kona included the Coco mid-step frame.

Last edited:
I will be taking a test ride on the Dew Hd when they get in. There is a Kona dealer about a half a mile from me.

I will be taking a test ride on the Dew Hd when they get in. There is a Kona dealer about a half a mile from me.
Jimmy did your local dealer ever get any of these HD models in? If yes, curious to hear your impressions. There is extremely little on the interwebs about these bikes aside from all of the Oct 22 announcements.

I own a Dew Plus (non electric) and have been considering the Rove HD as my first ebike, but my local Kona dealer isn't planning to carry any of the HD models in store.

Jimmy did your local dealer ever get any of these HD models in? If yes, curious to hear your impressions. There is extremely little on the interwebs about these bikes aside from all of the Oct 22 announcements.

I own a Dew Plus (non electric) and have been considering the Rove HD as my first ebike, but my local Kona dealer isn't planning to carry any of the HD models in store.
My LBS was supposed to get some in in February but they haven't shown up yet. I am in the same boat as you as I have looked everywhere about the system and found very little info and only one review from a fee years ago.

Awesome, well, hopefully they come soon. My dealer said they all showed available to ship if I wanted to order one, but that kind of required a commitment sight-unseen that I am not quite ready for.

I'm not strictly married to the idea of buying a Kona, but I've really liked my Dew, and I used to own an old Hoss. I feel like they are generally a good blend of style and value for the dollar.

Anyways, good luck, and hopefully folks are able to start getting eyes-on these bikes soon!

Yep, I thought less than 45lbs was decent as well.

There is an Aventon dealer near me and I think I’m going to test ride a Level.2 or Pace.3 to see how torque sense hub motors feel, at this point I’ve only tried mid drives at my LBS. The LBS might have a Trek FX+ 2 so I might check that as well, they might help inform me enough to yolo a Rove HD purchase, haha.

Back