Eunorau G20 Cargo - A User's Experience

MadInstro

Region
Australia
Hi All,

Brand new to this forum, but I recently purchased a Eunorau G20 Cargo e-bike so I thought I'd share my user experiences, from ordering, assembly, riding experience so far, the good, bad and ugly of the bike, and of course answer any questions that people may have. When I was considering this bike for purchase there were very few reviews/articles about the bike beyond a few YouTube reviews given/lent bikes linked to from the Eunorau website so I wasn''t sure how comprehensive/realistic those reviews were.

Let me know if you have any questions, want specific dimensions, photos or anything and I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities so you can decide if this is a bike you'd consider. Disclaimer: I've not really into cycling and haven't done all that much of it in the last decade, nor have I had been on many ebikes (other than a relative's mountain bike with a Bosch motor and test riding the Yuba Spicy Curry), so I'll describe things as I can, but there may be specifics and comparisons that a casual rider (hopefully regular commuter) like me doesn't pick up on.

I purchased this bike for AUD$3000, plus $400 for the basket rear frame kit. The wooden rear seat and footrests were included in the base price. This price, compared to the Yuba Spicy Curry (AUD$8000 + accessories) and Tern GSD ($8500 + accessories) was the primary reason for getting this bike over those two (there are more limited options for e-bikes that I could find that sell locally or ship to Australia). The Eunorau websites listed this as 5-7 days delivery; however this ended up taking 4 months due to Covid shutdowns in China (as I was told over email).

Assembly of the bike was very simple. The only things to attach were the handlebars, front wheel and the accessories. The manual that was included (inside the pedal box) was for a different Eunorau bike (I'm sure they all use the same pedals) but I just followed this Youtube video. The bike came with all the basic tools you would need to assemble it should you not own any tools (just requires allen/hex keys and some spanners - plus a pump for the tyres).

The result (sans front basket):
IMG_1992.jpg

Overall first impressions of the quality are quite good. The paint and welding and wooden seat/footboards are all pretty nice. The mudguards are basic plastic ones and seem fine. The guard around the rear wheel is a cheap Perspex guard (still with protective plastic cling wrap on in my photos) that is held onto the other side by some bend aluminium strips and cable/zip ties to the frame. Where one of the lower cable/zip ties attaches to the frame, the Perspex is cracked/broken, although this still holds it fine. The front aluminium strip strikes the frame and given that it's the cable/zip tied on there it rocks back and forth a bit, so in the meantime I just put some electrical tape on the frame so it doesn't rub through the paint. I should probably wrap the strip too.

IMG_2191.jpg

The kickstand is strong and holds the bike well. This appears to be a slightly different version of the stand than some photos and reviews, including one I read that said that with the stand up in riding position, it was quite low and a danger for hitting footpath/kerb edges. Anyway my one seems to be fairly high up once in riding position so that doesn't seem to be a worry. One thing with the stand is that it raises the rear wheel off the ground a fair bit. When I sat my toddler on the back for the first time it caused the bike to rock back on to the rear wheel, which upset said toddler. In future I'll either get a separate floor stand of chuck a piece of timber under there so it doesn't rock back when putting her on.

IMG_2189.jpg

Now: The rear bars. Unlike the ones shown on the Eunoru website (here) and some reviews/photos - these have two outside bars. I thought this was initially a plus - then I tried to fit a child seat back there. With the bars installed, I cannot fit a Yepp Maxi child seat on there as the seat is too wide, despite being one of the two seats listed/recommended on the Eunorau website. So that's pretty disappointing. I'm tempted to order a second set of the bars and cut off the inside bars myself, but will just ride without them for a while and that'll probably be fine.

IMG_2183.jpg
IMG_1999.JPG

With the rear wooden seat removed, the frame isn't the correct size for the Yepp Maxi to attach to (as can be done with the Tern GSD) so you'll need the adapter plate, which can either clamp on the frame with the rear wood seat removed, or clamp on to the wooden seat itself. Clamping on the wooden seat, I can lift and shake the bike and it remains attached.

I might re-make a wooden seat to so it just covers the front half and then the kid seat can clamp on the frame. Due to the Thule Yepp adapter block thing it can't clamp down on the frame with the wood seat in place as the tightening screws/frame hit the wood seat.

IMG_2186.jpg
IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg
IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

The bike computer/controller. So far so good. This came set in miles per hours, so I had to google the manual for the CDC6 computer to get the default passcode to change to kph. Here you can also change the speed limit (which in Australia I think is 25 kph for e-bikes, but this one came set at 32 kph, but I didn't change it back down, cause why would I). The bike uses julet connectors so swapping out parts (if you wanted to change from grip throttle to thumb throttle) would be easy.

First impressions of riding are that the motor doesn't engage nearly as smoothly as the Bosch ones I have tried (mountain bike, plus the Yuba Spicy Curry), but this was expected given the price. The throttle is a nice feature that the Yuba Spicy Curry and Tern GSD don't have, which sort of makes up for the motor not engaging as early or as smoothly as those bikes.

When I test rode the Yuba Spicy Curry, by myself and partner had issue of our heel hitting the footboard if we weren't careful. I haven't had that happen yet on this bike so maybe the foot board is set back a bit further.

I'll come back and update this with more info and riding info shortly. I'll take it out and check bike computer speed and distance compared to what my iPhone shows. Also when I get an idea of the range I'll post as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions, want any specific details etc. I'll try to keep an eye on this and answer as best as I can, plus I'll try keep this up to date with changes I've made, discoveries, reliability issues, etc etc.

Regards.

Last edited:
Any new updates? I’m considering converting a yuba kombi or getting a Flyer L885 but was also interested in this. I need one that can fit two kids on the back.

Any new updates? I’m considering converting a yuba kombi or getting a Flyer L885 but was also interested in this. I need one that can fit two kids on the back.

Hi. Sorry for being slow on any updates. It's winter down here so it rains a lot and I'm a bit of a fair weather rider :)

Firstly, I'll not that the Eunorau G20 seems to be no longer listed on the companies website, so you might not be able to buy it anymore, which might make your choice easier. I can see a G30-Cargo listed, which looks similar, but is hub drive instead of mid drive and has 20" tyres instead of 24"

Ride/performance wise, the bike has been fine so far. I haven't had any issues to date. I haven't taken it on any really long rides that would come close to draining the battery so I can't confirm on how long it lasts. From my memory of riding ebikes with the Bosch motor, this isn't as smooth when the motor engages - but it's fine. It's not jarring, just much more noticeable compared with the smooth engagement of the Bosch system.

Brake performance - it's ok, but could use an upgrade. I don't live in a particularly hilly area so it brakes ok with the kid on board, but if I were riding down a decent hill with cargo or especially a child, I'd want some better brakes.

In terms of getting two kids on the back - I don't think that'd be an issue at all. I've one taken one of our children on it so far as #2 is still a bit young.

Finally and I think most important observation - size. This is a big bike. I'm a bit over 6' (184cm) and it's fine for me, but when my sister, who is about 5"5' had a ride I could see how bit it was for her, plus the kids sit fairly high, so centre of gravity and whatnot.

I see quite a few Tern GSD bikes in our area and they look great in terms of height for the kids and bike size - but here in Australia they start about AUD$8500, vs AUD$3000 for Eunorau G20, or AUD$2600 for the G30-Cargo.

Hi there. Thanks so much for your detailed insights and update. I bought the exact same model last year and even got the Thule seat only to find it needed the adaptor.

I was wondering if you have attempted putting on a second child seat yet? Our youngest will be joining our rides in 6 months or so, so we’re looking to add another seat.

Is it just me, or is the bike quite difficult to lift onto the stand with a child on the back? It is heavy and my wife finds it very difficult to lift onto the stand safely, so will be impossible with 2 kids on there. I’m not sure if it’s our poor technique or a fault in the stand.

It did take a while to get used to the weight of the bike when riding. A bit shakey initially. I did take it into a bike shop and they seemed to think there was a fair bit of fork flex. I’m taking to another bike shop to upgrade the brakes so it will be interesting to hear their opinion.

Back