Horn, Bell or Voice, how to warn others of your presence and intentions

Djangodog

Region
USA
City
Claremont, NH
Within a thread about throttles, the conversation seems to have veered of toward horns, bells and verbal signaling, so maybe it’s time to open it up for discussion.

I have a bell for walkers on the pathways.

I have a USB rechargeable horn for traffic, honking at my neighbours as I zoom past their homes and for scaring the crap out of squirrels and coyotes on the roads and paths.

Sometimes I just use an audible BEEP BEEP.

I stop pedaling. The clicking of the cassette does the rest. If I see earbuds I have the kind of voice that I can pitch to cut through anything, and I use it. Usually with two words: "Pay Attention".

I ride on a busy metro shared use path and bells just don't cut it. ding ding and everyone is wondering where its coming from as there is always a bike within sight.

When I am riding a fat bike, I prefer the use of knobbies because they whirrr and that is by far the best. Its a thing of beauty to see people 50 feet in front of you perk up, look behind and then get out of your way.

Don't mind me I just think I'm funny!
That one time... you were 🤣

Lol anyways I usually say coming up on the right or coming up on the left...
On a crowded path that gets taxing fast.
A bell sound travels much further and clearer then your voice... Usually clearing a 100ft+ with a single ring
Having done both... a bell is far more effective.
And don't forget about the mommies smiling back

hmmm.. I wonder if I can set up a speaker to play a nice variable V8 rumble and tie it to my throttle rotation ?

Last edited:
As a roadie I hadn’t had a bell on a bike since I was about 6 years old. Then I started traveling to the Czech Republic on business, (2 weeks at a time, 2 to 3 times a year from 2006 until 2019). I brought a Specialized Stump Jumpers over so that I could take advantage of their trail and path network, (I highly recommend it). Long story over, they require bells and “on your left” means nothing to them, (my attempts to speak Czech usually got a laugh). The bell worked great. People knew what it meant and it was clear and never seemed to be seen as offensive. Mine had a double ring and is surprisingly loud and clear.

When I ride our local rail trails I tend to use on your left when carefully overtaking another cyclist, but the bell is better for pedestrians or people meandering, on or off bikes.

My bell broke in 3 months, like all ****ese garbage. All replacements would be from the same origin, I'm not trying again. I announce "left", "right' or for Ohio bridge walkers backing up, "behind you". I pass pedestrians at a speed where I could stop in a meter.

My bell broke in 3 months, like all ****ese garbage. All replacements would be from the same origin, I'm not trying again. I announce "left", "right' or for Ohio bridge walkers backing up, "behind you". I pass pedestrians at a speed where I could stop in a meter.
The key is... Stay simple and go with the time tested original.

s-l1600.jpg

I think I paid a dollar for mine and I use it 10s of times each ride for years now.
Adjustable sound level by simply only flicking the lever to full push and release
Two or three quick flicks is usually what I do and it's a very friendly but unmistakable far reaching sound.

I have had the same bell for about 12 years. It still works like new.

That one time... you were 🤣

On a crowded path that gets taxing fast.
A bell sound travels much further and clearer then your voice... Usually clearing a 100ft+ with a single ring
Having done both... a bell is far more effective.
And don't forget about the mommies smiling back

hmmm.. I wonder if I can set up a speaker to play a nice variable V8 rumble and tie it to my throttle rotation ?
I suggest a recording of an unmuffled Harley instead. Of course, you'd probably hear from HDs lawyers by the time you got home.

Within a thread about throttles, the conversation seems to have veered of toward horns, bells and verbal signaling, so maybe it’s time to open it up for discussion.
Hang around long enough, and you'll see this happens, I won't say "frequently", but maybe "often". Often, as in this case, it's just an interesting extension.

48 v scooter, 105db horn, it's all anyone would need.

Don't need to worry about cars or earbud wearing peeps can't hear you AND can easy do a quick chirp to alert close in pedos.
Runs off the bike's battery and cost less than $10.

I challenge ANYONE to beat it !

When I am walking, and voice some distance behind me shouts "ON YOUR LEFT", I usually am in my own thoughts and do not register the full phrase. Then I wonder if it means they are coming up on my left or should I move to the left. It is often startling to me because I am not on alert, I am on a walk, and the first response to being startled is freezing and then sudden twirling around to see what's going on, which uses up time/distance as the bike is fast approaching. That's why I think a silly little but piercing bicycle bell is better. It is too inoffensive to take umbrage at.

Whereas, a big@$$ horn is MEANT to intimidate, not inform. It creates confrontation unnecessarily.

When I am walking, and voice some distance behind me shouts "ON YOUR LEFT", I usually am in my own thoughts and do not register the full phrase. Then I wonder if it means they are coming up on my left or should I move to the left. It is often startling to me because I am not on alert, I am on a walk, and the first response to being startled is freezing and then sudden twirling around to see what's going on, which uses up time/distance as the bike is fast approaching. That's why I think a silly little but piercing bicycle bell is better. It is too inoffensive to take umbrage at.

Whereas, a big@$$ horn is MEANT to intimidate, not inform. It creates confrontation unnecessarily.
On the other hand, when I'm ringing and ringing my bell, and calling out, and the pedestrian continues wandering with no sign of having heard, a big@$$ horn would be a good option!

I have a USB rechargeable horn for use on the road with cars. I use a bell on mixed use trails for walkers, unless the idiots have the ear buds in and can't hear their surrounding very well. Then they get the horn. It's amusing to watch them jump ;)

I like a bell for all the positive reasons already stated. I also think it's essential to slow way down. I think pedestrians usually, if not always, have the right of way over a bike, but I don't care. I really don't want to hit one. If they have little kids or dogs, on or off a leash, I think it's essential to slow down almost to a stop and pass very carefully. (Some dogs are way smarter than their people, some maybe not so much.)

Gotta love the solo walker on the left or middle of the path with not earbuds, but full-blown earmuff style headphones. Staring at their phone too, of course. They either don't even notice when you go by or they are the ones who get teed off the most..

I use "on your left" too, most of the time, but I've found that often the first thing a pedestrian does when they hear that is turn to their left, taking half a step over to the left, thereby making it even more important to slow down and give them a wide berth.

A polite little "ding" or two works better than anything, in my opinion. I always wave a thank you acknowledgement as I pass too. Most people are great about sharing the path....

TT

I like a bell for all the positive reasons already stated. I also think it's essential to slow way down. I think pedestrians usually, if not always, have the right of way over a bike, but I don't care. I really don't want to hit one. If they have little kids or dogs, on or off a leash, I think it's essential to slow down almost to a stop and pass very carefully. (Some dogs are way smarter than their people, some maybe not so much.)

Gotta love the solo walker on the left or middle of the path with not earbuds, but full-blown earmuff style headphones. Staring at their phone too, of course. They either don't even notice when you go by or they are the ones who get teed off the most..

I use "on your left" too, most of the time, but I've found that often the first thing a pedestrian does when they hear that is turn to their left, taking half a step over to the left, thereby making it even more important to slow down and give them a wide berth.

A polite little "ding" or two works better than anything, in my opinion. I always wave a thank you acknowledgement as I pass too. Most people are great about sharing the path....

TT
Exactly what @Tars Tarkas said.

Back