Cero One review

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
The FedEx truck showed up this morning! I now have a blue Cero! So, this is the initial review and things to note.
The front hub is a Shimano Deore. Not listed in the specs. Spins nice.
Only thing knocked out of alignment by FedEx was the rear fender. Took 4 minutes to straighten out.
Fenders are nice! Clean and concealed fasteners.
Went together very easily. No nasty surprises. I used the online video for assembly.
Comes with all required tools. Not bad quality either.
I actually like the weird sandpaper pedals.
I got the large front basket option. Note that the baskets are cheaper when your'e building the bike. It comes with the front flat rack as standard.
You don't need to leave the key in the cafe lock, it can be removed when unlocked.
The 2 battery and 2 cafe lock keys are matched.
Battery came with one bar, to low to stay on. so.....
I rode it without the battery. It rides so nice as a regular bicycle. Really nice!
It didn't include the little $15 Gates tension tester. Going to order it tonight.
I'm going to use HexLox for the front skewer and seat post clamp. Clamp is normal bmx style, no quick release. Nice.
Seat is comfortable so far. Need to get some miles on it though.
Overall fit and finish is top notch. Its actually a matte finish that looks like powder coating.
Stupid presta tubes. Had to find my adapters so I could fill them. Need to buy a pump.
Let me get some miles on it now. Will post up mile specific posts and/or any issues.
And will post up my height/weight/inseam plus the rear wheel size (bugs out right now!) and post a picture of my set-up.

Finally, if your'e in Norfolk, VA and wanna test ride it hit me up! I don't mind one bit!
And if you want to know anything specific just ask. I picked this over a Tern. First, I'll never haul a passenger and Second, I wanted something different.

Last edited:
I'm 5'10", 32 inch inseam and weigh 225 pounds. Set-up.

Attachments

• 20220529_184511.jpg
    20220529_184511.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 20220529_184528.jpg
    20220529_184528.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 234
Note the front rack only has one bottle mount boss, and to use it the hardware bag comes with little spacers.

Attachments

• 20220529_130436.jpg
    20220529_130436.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 197
I still might install my SHAD trunk on the rear rack, but the bike looks so clean without it. And I need to find a net to go over the top of the front basket. I only have 10 miles on it as of today, 5/29/2022. Super smooth, dead quiet and powerful enough for my needs. I live in a No Hills zone. Still getting used to the Abus Cafe lock and the extender chain. I was going to install a Foldy Lock for added security but I'm trying to find a clean spot on the bike. Behind the seat tube/in front of the the rear fender almost works but the Foldy lock release is a tad to tall. I found another spot but it will require some creative engineering to make it work, and its been to hot and buggy to fiddle with it. Waiting on my HexLox for my front skewer and seat clamp as well. As an added bonus I got terrorized by a group of bag pipe players today! The strange things you see when on a bicycle!

Last edited:
Few more observations:
Lights come on whenever you power the bike up. You can turn them off if you want.
It's nice that I can easily remove the display when parked, and the display is small enough to easily fit in my pocket.
I have my Banjo Brothers rear grocery bag pannier on the rear rack. Had to tighten the elastic strap to max but it holds secure.
Have yet to ride at night to see how bright the lights are and how the front beam projects. But they are bright in the day light.
The rear light doesn't act as a brake light when you pull the brake levers.
It's nice having a clock on the display.
I might try riding it to work.
More to come.........

Put my SHAD trunk on. Gave a friend the Banjo Brothers grocery pannier.

Attachments

• 20220605_202144.jpg
    20220605_202144.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 217
  • 20220605_202202.jpg
    20220605_202202.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 223
HEXLOX secured. For the OEM seat clamp you need the HEXLOX with the magnetic insert, as the clamp bolt is non-magnetic.

Front skewer kit comes supplied with 2 different axel widths. Each end has locking tabs that go into the drop outs. Pic shown has the end cover installed.

Attachments

• 20220612_193708.jpg
    20220612_193708.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 20220612_193716.jpg
    20220612_193716.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 20220612_193724.jpg
    20220612_193724.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 20220612_193730.jpg
    20220612_193730.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
And the white on the rear rack isn't scratches, it's tape residue from the packing material.

How’s the Cero been so far? I’m looking at one, too, vs HSD, Radrunner, RemiDemi, etc. and am waiting to test ride a few more bikes before I pull the trigger. Wish I could test ride a Cero, but unless someone has one who lives in Albuquerque, I am not willing to go to LA.

I'm embarrassed to say I only have 30 miles on it. I see you mention many different ebikes, so I'll give you my 2cents on them.
I owned a few hub drive ebikes. All different power ratings and wheel sizes. My personal favorite? The humble Rad Runner. I had a 1 but should have purchased a Plus next. The Cero is super refined and does everything a cargo bike should do BUT I'll never ride it out of my general area. So it's become a fair weather grocery getter. I miss my 20mph speed (Cero struggles to go above 16mph) and I still long for a throttle, mostly for covering intersections, super hot days and headwinds.

So really think about what you want and need before jumping into a ebike. While I have no regrets over my Cero I still wish I would have just gotten another Rad Runner.

I'm embarrassed to say I only have 30 miles on it. I see you mention many different ebikes, so I'll give you my 2cents on them.
I owned a few hub drive ebikes. All different power ratings and wheel sizes. My personal favorite? The humble Rad Runner. I had a 1 but should have purchased a Plus next. The Cero is super refined and does everything a cargo bike should do BUT I'll never ride it out of my general area. So it's become a fair weather grocery getter. I miss my 20mph speed (Cero struggles to go above 16mph) and I still long for a throttle, mostly for covering intersections, super hot days and headwinds.

So really think about what you want and need before jumping into a ebike. While I have no regrets over my Cero I still wish I would have just gotten another Rad Runner.
Thanks for the input. I had an electric Townie, but found it uncomfortable and sold it. Interested in a small cargo bike to replace my scooter and bike. Rad does have a dealer half a mile from the house, so that’s a plus.

Back