250W and hills?

Leafs2726

Hello. I live in the Pacific Northwest. Vancouver BC to be specific. I am concerned if I order this bike it will have issues climbing up the hills as it has 250W of power. I realise power isn't everything but 250W doesn't sound like it would work for hills? Thanks

its not much on a hub drive. depends on how much effort you can put put. but really this bike is for cruising around on mostly flat roads.

it's 400 watts peak, which is more than i've ever used to ride up a hill. and 35-37lb is a decent (light) weight for an ebike. those things aren't the issues.

i assume you're not considering the singlespeed - your contribution to the hill climbing is going to be sorta limited, unless you've got legs of steel and heart/lungs to match. the 7 speed version doesn't list what size the rear cassette is, you should ask about that. also find out if the assist levels can be controlled, or if it's just going to pump out 400w going up a big hill until the battery is toast.

very attractive/low price point, so many of the components may not be top notch, but it seems like a nicely considered bike and i wouldn't let the 250/400w rating deter you unless your goal is to go up hills FAST.

Nope. I wanted to be sure it helps up the hills. But I read further and I don’t think it has a throttle. Unfortunately I love the look and weight of the bike but it’s not going to work. And yes regarding gears. I tried an ebike last week with no gears and didn’t work well for me. I am now looking at ride1up.

I live in Vancouver and attached a BBSHD onto an older MTB. This thing flies across the Iron Workers Bridge, and turns hills into flat surfaces.

Bafang Mid Drive Motor
BBSHD

On a 2007 Specialized Hardrock

20211003_171220.jpg

Aww I did some pricing a few days ago on conversion and it’s expensive etc and might as well buy a new bike with motor.

Aww I did some pricing a few days ago on conversion and it’s expensive etc and might as well buy a new bike with motor.
Fair enough, but this motor is awesome. I can go anywhere, in any conditions. Was great in snow too. If you wanna look or try it, PM me.

I am curious. How much was it total to convert? And how much extra weight on the bike? And the kicker for me is I could never put it together and would cost money on top of everything else.

I purchased a better chainring and a couple of spacers for about $50. Installed it myself.

OK - with all that said - Now I know my bike is not what I should have purchased BUT... I too live in an area of Mountains. (Pocono Mountains of PA) and I have had my cheap 250W bike for almost a year with 300 miles on it. Great for bike/walking trails but difficult for me to climb hills when ridding about the neighborhood. I want to change the 14-28T rear 6sp cassettes to a 14-32T and keeping my 42T original equipment Chainring. What say you - will it help this old guy to get up those hills or should I really change to a 14-34T 6spd cassettes for maximum benefit. I have no idea if it will be worth the time and effort. I only face hills every now and then and sometimes I have decided to change my route.

Every tooth helps! If you have an option for the 34, I’d do that. You guys do have some pretty good grades down there!
Thanks, I will replace my 14-28T with the 14-34T rear gears. I am very grateful for your insight. And now I am confident that my feeling were correct. My HOT ROD custom bike is on it's way - thank you again!

Attachments

• E-ride MTB 26 Mod to Cruiser.jpg
    E-ride MTB 26 Mod to Cruiser.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 146
You’re quite welcome. Let us hear what you think of the difference once you have it done. Rock on!
Not only yes (I will give you the low down on how the change worked or not) - but HELL YES I WILL - the stuff has been ordered and now just waiting for it. I am hopeful that I will get some rides in before the SNOW.. THANKS!

Nope. I wanted to be sure it helps up the hills. But I read further and I don’t think it has a throttle. Unfortunately I love the look and weight of the bike but it’s not going to work. And yes regarding gears. I tried an ebike last week with no gears and didn’t work well for me. I am now looking at ride1up.
Ride 1up has some nice bikes and a 500 wt motor will be fine for hills. My son has a Ride1up 500. It is fine for hills. I have 2 bikes, 1 500 watt and a smaller lighter cheaper 250/350 watt bike. The smaller one can make it up a steep hill with pedaling, but it burns the battery quickly.

Change to the 14-34 cassette. I went from a 11-46 to a 11-34 with my e-bike as I was not using the larger cogs and wanted tighter spacing. In my case I also needed to change the rear deraileur. The Shimano I bought would handle up to a 34T cassette.

Change to the 14-34 cassette. I went from a 11-46 to a 11-34 with my e-bike as I was not using the larger cogs and wanted tighter spacing. In my case I also needed to change the rear deraileur. The Shimano I bought would handle up to a 34T cassette.
Thanks, for your information. I have a Falcon factory equipped derailleur - So I ordered a new Shimano to complete the upgrade. I have already changed the twist Falcon to a Shimano thumb shifter earlier this year and really like it. I am looking forward to the new gear ing.

You’re quite welcome. Let us hear what you think of the difference once you have it done. Rock on!
Dave - I changed my rear cassette from the stock 14-28T Falcon to a 14-34T Shimano with a long cage Shimano Derailleur and a new longer chain... But I just did a test ride and BIG BIG PROBLEMS... I must have done something REALLY WRONG!! ! The darn bike really runs great - HOWEVER - no coast or back pedal ! ! ON the bike rack it shifted just fine and everything seemed to work properly. The motor worked as it should have but I never tried to back pedal when the bike was on the stand. I took it out the driveway and the chain jumped off the chainring. After I put it back on - the darn thing just started pedaling without allowing me to NOT PEDAL.. I have not started to tear it apart yet (Having a few BEERS NOW!) but what are your thought pursuant the lack of freewheeling?? Perhaps I tighten the cassette too much or the axel nut on the shaft before the frame and end nut. I will pull it apart tomorrow - but before that any and all ideas you might have would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Back