Brose Motor Issue

seamusohara

Hey Guys, I finally got a new battery for my Redux and it is still showing the same problems. When plugged in the screen will turn on but when I unplug it from the charger it won't turn on. I am at a loss for what to do and my local bike shop has given up on helping anymore. Any thoughts?

This all started when I got my motor replaced for the third time and it hasn't worked since then.

Did you replace the controller? Any codes on the display through all this trouble? You used a multimeter to make sure a wire isn't broken?

I have been very dissatisfied with the service of the Brose motor on my Raleigh Redux IE. At less than 2K miles my motor mechanically failed. Raleigh was of no help as it was well out of warranty and Brose service is pretty much nonexistent in the USA. I ended up sending it to Ebike Motor Repair https://ebikemotorrepair.com/ . They found both sprags (freewheel mechanism) had failed and the belt was about to. They related these are very common failures. I had them rebuild it with upgraded parts. So far so good. Their work and service was excellent. This, however, was not an inexpensive proposition. I am really disappointed that I had to have my motor rebuilt with relatively few miles on it. That said, I am actually quite pleased with the performance of the Brose motor. It is super quiet and has enough torque to get me up just about anything. Hopefully the upgraded motor will last longer.

3500 miles so far on my rebuilt Brose motor by ebike motor repair.com.
Now……don’t get me started when the battery fails. I haven’t seen a single post on this site regarding a successful Brose motor battery repair.

Now……don’t get me started when the battery fails. I haven’t seen a single post on this site regarding a successful Brose motor battery repair.
That fills me with confidence. My battery has 5 seasons on it. It is still working okay, but the capacity is somewhat diminished. I think I can get at least another season out of it. My thought was to send it off to ( I think the company is called?) HiC . I think they quoted me about $600 to rebuild it. Have people been having trouble with rebuilt batteries?

I am surprised to hear that Brose has not supported their customers!
No help from the dealer?

Forget about dealer support. Needed a new chain….. had my bike in the back of my van……….go into the shop and ask them to put a new chain on for me………..they said it will take a while……..I say no problem, I’ll go grab a cup of coffee………they write up a reciept and tell me to give them a call in about a month. They said they had 40 bikes in the cue. The store was empty. Never went back there.
I won’t buy another bike we’re I have to rely on dealer support Or lock myself into some non user repairable/ unable to self diagnose eco system. Been there…….Done that.

if you don't want to be captive to a LBS or proprietary mid drive learn to do it yourself. There is absolutely nothing complex or overly mechanically difficult about a standard derailleur equipped bicycle. A tongsheng tsdz2 performs similarly to the Yamaha pw-se that I also have. Every part of the tsdz2 can be obtained on eBay, walmart.com, Amazon or other sellers and the motor is very easy to work on. No proprietary battery is another big plus. If you can't or won't then just open your wallet and accept your fate.

if you don't want to be captive to a LBS or proprietary mid drive learn to do it yourself. There is absolutely nothing complex or overly mechanically difficult about a standard derailleur equipped bicycle. A tongsheng tsdz2 performs similarly to the Yamaha pw-se that I also have. Every part of the tsdz2 can be obtained on eBay, walmart.com, Amazon or other sellers and the motor is very easy to work on. No proprietary battery is another big plus. If you can't or won't then just open your wallet and accept your fate.
Your preaching to the choir. Bosch and Brose have locked out the user. You are held captive by your dealer. And God forbid you didn’t buy your bike at that dealer……..that story never ends well.

Your preaching to the choir. Bosch and Brose have locked out the user. You are held captive by your dealer. And God forbid you didn’t buy your bike at that dealer……..that story never ends well.
I took my bosch bike in to the Trek store when I found the rusty bottom bracket that store was not even a trek store when I bought my bike at a ebike only store. they are dealing with bosch for me. it just depends on the dealer.

Last edited:
I took my bosch bike in to the Trek store when I found the rusty bottom bracket that store was not even a trek store when I bought my bike at a ebike only store. they are dealing with bosch for me. it just depends on the dealer.
Is your bike still under warranty? How long are they keeping your bike or have kept it already? How much are they charging for repairs or replacement. I thought that I read that you bought a new bike to replace the damaged one.
I really like my Yamaha powered bike but it will become useless if the motor ever fails. If ever needed a replacement battery and charger is well over $1000, more like $1200. I'd never have bought it if I had been aware of the tsdz2 where every part is quickly available fairly inexpensively for home repair if ever needed. I've never spent over $700 for a complete tsdz2 kit including a battery (that has given me over 130 miles of riding per charge with the 48v 15ah version). I've had many bikes over the years and never needed any service from a bike shop including lacing several wheels (with never a broken spoke). I'm not a mechanic, it is all just so simple if a person is willing to take some time and learn. There are many sources of instructional videos and documents to help with any task (I'm not talking about a proprietary motor/battery/controls like a Brose/Bosch or Yamaha - for those you are pretty much stuck and at the mercy of others).

its just out of warranty and I just sent my recipt to the mechanic Sunday Yes I needed another bike its my car and I did not know how long it would take. I could not afford it but not riding would cause me some issues too. He thinks bosch will replace the motor like its under warranty so no cost. if I had to pay i would get the motor rebuilt.

Back