No More Yamaha-Powered Haibikes?

LimboJim

Region
USA
JW if anyone knows if Haibike will bring Yamaha-powered ebikes back to the US market, and if not, why?

Their 2022 offerings are severely limited to a handful of Bosch-powered models, especially compared to years past! I can understand this, given supply chain and shipping woes, plus Haibike's history of carrying far more bikes than they sell stateside... They always had major overstock - until the pandemic, of course. In 2018, I got a $2600 2017 Hardnine 4.0 for $1100 shipped, and a $7k 2017 Allmtn 8.0 for just over $3k! Miss those daze...

But anyway, their EU website shows dozens of Yamaha models, now featuring downtube-integrated batteries. I sure hope they bring them here!

@LimboJim: I share your concern, even to the point of emailing H-Bike and asking when the new models would arrive for this year. Fwiw, I did get a prompt, courteous reply back, so somebody is minding the store. They put the supply chain and covid issues as the reasoning for the long delays. Looking at the Haibike german facebook page, even the Euros are complaining of long waits for their bikes of which they still have not gotten.

That bare bones lineup is disappointing as you and I remember their salad days of having an incredibly large lineup of bikes for each kind of riding type. And like you, I was the recipient of a great deal on overstock that needed to go; my Full FatSix went for $2600 dollars shipped from WI. We'll likely never see prices like that ever again! Meanwhile, we see other brands introducing new product all the time. As a fan of this bike brand cause mine just has never let me down, it kinda hurts to see H-Bike this way.

It looks like they have committed to selling via dealers only; unlike the time when they were undercutting LBS's especially with their black friday sales.

Looking at the German H-Bike site and the model lineup looks as strong as it ever was. Even the Full FatSix soldiers on, still with the external battery (which I prefer). I hope as things settle, we see more from the German lineup than what we presently see.

Finally, one Yamaha motor does survive in that barebones lineup, on the 27.5 inch full suspension mtb: https://www.haibikeusa.com/emountain/fullseven-5-4733.html

500wh intube battery. PW-ST. No PWX-3. No 630wh intube battery. No modular rail piggyback battery option. I guess it's better than nothing!

@LimboJim: I share your concern, even to the point of emailing H-Bike and asking when the new models would arrive for this year. Fwiw, I did get a prompt, courteous reply back, so somebody is minding the store. They put the supply chain and covid issues as the reasoning for the long delays. Looking at the Haibike german facebook page, even the Euros are complaining of long waits for their bikes of which they still have not gotten.

That bare bones lineup is disappointing as you and I remember their salad days of having an incredibly large lineup of bikes for each kind of riding type. And like you, I was the recipient of a great deal on overstock that needed to go; my Full FatSix went for $2600 dollars shipped from WI. We'll likely never see prices like that ever again! Meanwhile, we see other brands introducing new product all the time. As a fan of this bike brand cause mine just has never let me down, it kinda hurts to see H-Bike this way.

It looks like they have committed to selling via dealers only; unlike the time when they were undercutting LBS's especially with their black friday sales.

Looking at the German H-Bike site and the model lineup looks as strong as it ever was. Even the Full FatSix soldiers on, still with the external battery (which I prefer). I hope as things settle, we see more from the German lineup than what we presently see.

Finally, one Yamaha motor does survive in that barebones lineup, on the 27.5 inch full suspension mtb: https://www.haibikeusa.com/emountain/fullseven-5-4733.html

500wh intube battery. PW-ST. No PWX-3. No 630wh intube battery. No modular rail piggyback battery option. I guess it's better than nothing!
I missed the FullSeven w/PW_ST! Asleep at the handlebar... or keyboard/monitor, in this case :eek: Good catch!

While I think it's good that Haibike has moved away from consumer-direct sales, one trend I've seen is that they're going after motorsports dealers. They must've run into brick walls trying to get existing bicycle shops to take on their brand. Can't blame the LBSs, though - one shop in my area was a Haibike dealer in 2016-17 and had a few different reps, numerous delays in parts deliveries from them, and so forth. He bailed on them and now sells Fuji ebikes. (FWIW, that was also the period in which Haibike USA went through executive office relocations and re-staffings.)

Like Mr Towpath, however, I'm still a fan because they're mindfully designed and very well built - hey Mike, got any scenic pics of your FatSix?

Here are my two Haibikes - I'm also partial to external batteries because "integrated" downtubes look silly to me:
1641570032573.png

1641570069333.png

We holdouts should form The Haibike Appreciation Society! :) I blame @Court for my H-Bike loyalty! His thorough review of the Bosch powered 2015 FatSix sold me. It was a choice of that or the Felt Outfitter, a similar fatbike, nicely equipped and reviewed by Court. I still think they have the sharpest looking paint jobs, kept fresh every year with a new restyling. The components group is a good one and the Bosch or Yamaha drives can't be beat. Court had a steady pipeline of new Haibike models with his close association with Sam at Fullerton bikes as well as access to the Ha-Bike representatives. Kinda miss those reviews by Court with Sam as too the reviews with Court and Chris Nolte of Propel. Any newcomer to this site should seek those videos out cause you get a great education about what makes a great ebike. Don't let me forget his ride with @Ravi Kempaiah who at that time I believe, was preparing for or had already completed, a record setting distance/time run on an ebike.

When those downtube battery ebikes came out, the thing that came to my mind is how fast they would become obsolete as battery technology created bigger capacity batteries requiring a bigger downtube; leaving that old downtube 500wh battery guy or gal hanging if or when their battery became obsolete. That's not to say our own external batteries are headed to the trash heap in time. I wish E-Bike Vision would find a US distributor for their 745wh external Bosch and Yamaha batteries.....

Nice bikes, LimboJim and RichC! Our bikes may be earlier models, but they still have a trendsetting look about them and they are certainly built for the long haul.

100_2702.JPG

The Full FatSix in November 2017. I wanted racks, front and rear on mine so it could be touring-capable. While I was able to get a front rack from Old Man Mountain, getting a rear one was problematic as the service from the company was becoming very sporadic as per delivery to the customer. So for any long distance runs, two bags were put on the front rack so I could carry extra food, drink, jackets, etc.

100_3317.JPG

July, 2018 at Milford, NJ on the Delaware & Raritan State Park towpath trail. I guess the significance of this ride was that in total, the H-Bike took me a total of 95.4 miles, with 18% battery charge remaining on my original 400wh battery! The red clay dust on the bike came from the Delaware Canal towpath on the opposite side of the Delaware River, in Pennsylvania. There are a few bridges that cross the Delaware, allowing the rider access to both towpaths. I was kinda proud of completing this run because 1. It was on a single battery charge and 2. As I was no longer a young spring chicken, running on Eco and Eco+ showed to myself that this bike could do a century had I more capacity.

100_3813.JPG

Getting close to how I want the bike set up for touring; the rear OMM rack is in place. Pic taken over Lock 1, Delaware & Raritan State Park pedestrian bridge over the abandoned lock chamber. April 2019

100_4507.JPG

With the rear rack in place, I invested in a few Ortlieb bags of different styles to fit whatever touring I may have had in mind. But the one thing I figured that made a bike truly a potential 24 hour, anytime bike I could ride was a lighting system. As I had a dyno hub system in place on 2 other of my bikes, this was the way I would go. So a Schmidt SON28 fatbike hub was laced on the front wheel (by a LBS). I installed and wired the front Schmidt Edelux II headlight and Schmidt SON tail light. To this day, everytime that front wheel turns, it's making light. Highly recommended, even as a Daytime Running Light for other drivers to see you.

100_4679.JPG

The chain, rear cassette, rear derailleur and front outer sprocket are all new, as I had worn out these components having piled on 11 thousand miles on the odometer. July 2020

100_5488.JPG

August 2021 ride, Sunday Morning, in the rain. Northern Burlington County country road....

100_5689 (1).JPG

October 2020 and the Full FatSix turns over to 16 thousand miles since put into service back in April 2017. As of now, with minimal riding due to wx and holidays, she's got some 16,600 miles.

Let's see some of your H-Bike pics. I'd love to see 'em!

Impressive, Mike - not just the mileage, but the luggage... wow!

My first Haibike was a 2015 Xduro rx29, which I got in 2015 from the area rep after inquiring about becoming a Haibike/iZip dealer.
18 months later, I sold it to fund my second Haibike, a 2015 FS RX.
That bike's still going strong, ridden for the past 3+ years by the guy who turned me on to MTBing in the 1980s - full circle.
Third up was a 2016 Sduro Allmtn Plus, back when "Sduro" meant Yamaha and "Xduro" = Bosch...
Then the 2017 Haibikes I shared earlier, which I'm still riding today - a Hardnine and an Allmtn.
And it's not a Haibike, but honorable mention goes to my 2018 Commencal MetaPower.
I ride it 3X more than the Haibikes... combined. It's other-worldly 👽
1641609263509.png

1641609403575.png

1641609538747.png

1641609980280.png

Limbo, that's a nice progression of H-Bikes you've had. I'm interested in your opinion about Bosch vs Yamaha, the entire experience from mileage per full battery charge, the feel of power delivery at the crank arms, chain sprocket comparisons between that small sprocket Bosch and the traditional sized chain rings on the Haibike, etc.

Everything I've read about the Commencal's from their owner have been nothing but positive.

That is beautiful riding country you're in there. Where were those pictures taken?

In the first few weeks of the Covid lockdown, when I realized I wouldn't be working for a while, I was able to get my FullSeven 9.0 delivered with free shipping and no tax for $3,250 (on a list price of $5,600). That list price now would be much higher with a GX Eagle setup. I too don't expect we will see deals like that again.

I previously had a FullNine with a Yamaha motor. I installed Bikespeed RS chips on both and they work flawlessly. I never hit 20 on the trails, but during the rainy season I can't ride in the preserve so I put street tires on, and the extra speed is nice.

The only real noticeable difference to me between the Bosche and Yamaha motors is noise. The Bosche has a loud whine, and the Yamaha was very quiet. I just bought my GF a Liv (Giant) Tempt E+ 3 and that motor makes almost no noise at all, very nice.

On my FullSeven I had a minor shifting problem that ended up being fixed by shortening the chain, and had and have a noise problem with the extra jockey wheel. It's just noisy, and the only fix is to lube with wet lube every 20 miles or so. Other than that both bikes have been amazing.

IMG_2586.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2696.jpeg
    IMG_2696.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 231
According to the parent company, the Haibike licensing will no longer continue in the US and I suspect those models will be integrated into the Diamondback brand and stay exclusively Bosch for 2023 moving forward.

We got a couple Allmtn 3.0's for 2022 but otherwise Haibike is done in the US.

It appears that Haibike has been making a slow retreat from the US over the past few years. I expect a full departure in the not to distant future.
Eh doubtful. The US market has too much potential and Yamaha knows that on their powersports side. They need to figure some things out but they're here to stay as evident by how many Giant bikes use their drive units.

Eh doubtful. The US market has too much potential and Yamaha knows that on their powersports side. They need to figure some things out but they're here to stay as evident by how many Giant bikes use their drive units.
So does anyone have info on the Haibike distributor in the UK? They are all over YT with videos of some of the latest HB models. Can one order one and have it shipped to the US?

According to the parent company, the Haibike licensing will no longer continue in the US and I suspect those models will be integrated into the Diamondback brand and stay exclusively Bosch for 2023 moving forward.

We got a couple Allmtn 3.0's for 2022 but otherwise Haibike is done in the US.
Yep, sad but I've heard the same thing. Love my Haibike Nduro 9.0 it's been a great reliable bike, riding the foothills of Pasadena, CA

So does anyone have info on the Haibike distributor in the UK? They are all over YT with videos of some of the latest HB models. Can one order one and have it shipped to the US?
Would you be happy to ride an e-bike restricted to 15.5 mph?

If you happen to be looking for Haibikes in the US, you might be able to find a model or two on the REI webpage. That being said, why buy a bike that has limited or no US support? Perhaps consider one American named brands. They're not going anywhere else soon.

If you happen to be looking for Haibikes in the US, you might be able to find a model or two on the REI webpage. That being said, why buy a bike that has limited or no US support? Perhaps consider one American named brands. They're not going anywhere else soon.
It was @TWBiker to ask those questions, not me.

I love my Haibike SDuro 2.0. And I test drove an ebike with a Bosch mid-drive. Clearly like the Yamaha better. I was told that Haibike lost their distributor in the US, and have been looking for another touring ebike that has the newer Yamaha PW-3X motor with the turbo gear, since I could use that additional gear for the higher 85 NM of torque (compared to the 70 NM on my PW-SE motor). I have not found it yet. If anyone knows if Yamaha will be putting this more powerful motor in one of their touring (They call it Trekking) bikes, let us know here. I have looked at Gazelle, Bulls, etc. They all have Bosch motors. See photo.

Attachments

• Haibike ebike Sduro 2.0.jpg
    Haibike ebike Sduro 2.0.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 125
If only they would bring a full fat with the Yamaha with the battery in the down tube, dropper and decent spec 12speed.

If only they would bring a full fat with the Yamaha with the battery in the down tube, dropper and decent spec 12speed.
Why full fat?! Giant E-MTBs are classy and would ride through anything. Like the Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro I once owned. Yamaha PW-X2, battery in the down tube, full suspension, dropper, Shimano 12-speed, 2.6" tyres.

1675811413700.png

Deep snow...

1675811558802.png

Black ice... (requires Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tyres).

1675811692084.png

Cobblestones...

1675811763975.png

Sand...

1675811844400.png

Deep sand...

1675811956628.png

40 mph downhill ride.

What makes a full fat e-bike so special? Because I cannot understand the hype.

Why full fat?! Giant E-MTBs are classy and would ride through anything. Like the Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro I once owned. Yamaha PW-X2, battery in the down tube, full suspension, dropper, Shimano 12-speed, 2.6" tyres.

View attachment 146606
Deep snow...

View attachment 146607
Black ice... (requires Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tyres).

View attachment 146608
Cobblestones...

View attachment 146609
Sand...

View attachment 146610
Deep sand...

View attachment 146611
40 mph downhill ride.

What makes a full fat e-bike so special? Because I cannot understand the hype.
Trail riding a true fat full suspension EMTB in the snow is on a whole other level. If Giant did it I ride there's. I do ride my Stance in the snow but not really on the trails. It's a bit like the trucks set up for snow wheeling.

Back