Class sticker?

goducks21

Region
USA
For you 604 Shred owners, is there a class sticker on the bike? I've only seen pics and videos of them and have never seen the class 3 sticker anywhere on it.

1633981900975.png

Just buy some, peal and stick. They are not brand or model specific. I like how this guy put an extra zip tie on his handle bar as a fashion statement.

Someone please educate me as to why one would want or need to put a "class" sticker on their ebike.

Someone please educate me as to why one would want or need to put a "class" sticker on their ebike.
Some of the rails to trails we're interested in riding are class 1 only. Not owning an ebike yet I'm just wondering how this rule is enforced? If the bike has no sticker is it just the word of the bike rider vs the person asking?

Some of the rails to trails we're interested in riding are class 1 only. Not owning an ebike yet I'm just wondering how this rule is enforced? If the bike has no sticker is it just the word of the bike rider vs the person asking?
Enforcement has been a huge source of discussion. Ever seen a cop on any trail? How about a park ranger? Ever seen an inspector at a trail head? All of that is extremely rare RIGHT NOW. This it will become a more serious matter in the future. With riders using throttle only, riding at 30+mph on multi-use trails, and increases in accidents, it's my opinion this will be a strong issue in many jurisdictions. I've had 2 close calls on our Greenway Trail with high speed ebike "scooters" riding dangerously and too fast. First was on a blind curve with two scooters filling up the trail, and second was a guy coming up through the ditch onto the trail at speed without looking. Enforcement will happen.

Enforcement has been a huge source of discussion. Ever seen a cop on any trail? How about a park ranger? Ever seen an inspector at a trail head? All of that is extremely rare RIGHT NOW. This it will become a more serious matter in the future. With riders using throttle only, riding at 30+mph on multi-use trails, and increases in accidents, it's my opinion this will be a strong issue in many jurisdictions. I've had 2 close calls on our Greenway Trail with high speed ebike "scooters" riding dangerously and too fast. First was on a blind curve with two scooters filling up the trail, and second was a guy coming up through the ditch onto the trail at speed without looking. Enforcement will happen.
Right now according to BLM any trail closed to motorized vehicles is closed to ebikes unless the district manager declares it open. Of course you wouldn't know that unless a sign says ebikes okay. No sign then no go. It sorta sucks living in BLM country where almost every trail is on BLM land. I get the part about no enforcement but eventually like you say it will become harder to sneak an ebike on a trail. Except for large paved trails and public roads we mostly ride our pedal MTB's on BLM trails where motorized vehicle signs exist.

my Cannondale e-bike has the battery integrated into the down tube and doesn't even look like an e-bike. It has no sticker on it- why would I want to draw attention to it being an e-bike by adding a sticker? This way I can ride it on most trails.
Although our state laws say e- bikes need a sticker. Anyone could order stickers and mis-represent their bike with the wrong label.

So if you routinely switch your bike from class2 to class1 and back again depending on where you ride do you put two stickers on the bike?

My S604 Colt sold as a class 2 but I unlocked it from the display so it can give class 3 level assist. So the question is, is the class of your bike based on potential of the bike or its current settings? And how is a top speed display setting different than the top speeding setting for the pas level I was riding in at the time of infraction/inspection? Court decisions will be interesting to see where this all lands.

My S604 Colt sold as a class 2 but I unlocked it from the display so it can give class 3 level assist. So the question is, is the class of your bike based on potential of the bike or its current settings? And how is a top speed display setting different than the top speeding setting for the pas level I was riding in at the time of infraction/inspection? Court decisions will be interesting to see where this all lands.
I don't think technically speaking that if a bike has the capability to 'switch' between a class mode, it would stand that it is whatever class you had it set to at the time of a particular ride/incident. It is about capability, not action. If a bike has a throttle, it is class 2 - if you weren't using the throttle at any given moment, it doesn't magically become a class 1 e-bike - it still has a throttle. The same can be said for the capability to travel 28mph - if your bike can do it, then it is a class 3 bike regardless of any setting/speed at a particular time.

Ultimately however since enforcement of these laws rises only to the level of a ticket (short of criminal charges related to an accident), the class system doesn't have a whole lot of teeth to it.

If my recollection is correct, when People for Bikes(?) began to push the class 1-3 system, it was primarily with the mindset to bring US laws in alignment with Europe - primarily as those companies wanted to be in the US market while having to make few changes to sold bikes. In Europe they really have 2 tiers - 15.5mph and 28mph bikes, which require tabs an insurance to own/operate. Maybe they have throttle allowance as well.

Anyway, the real problem is the inconsistency at this point, with state-by-state different definitions outside of those that have adopted the class 1-3 system. Ultimately like riding any regular bike, at this point you're probably going to skate by based on courteous riding and not overtly flaunting your state and municipality laws.

Circling back to answer your question - in a court of law I don't believe the ability to set a bike to a certain 'class' tier would stand up - but I don't think the level of enforcement and consequence really dictates that it matters at this point.

Edit to add - your last point about speed vs assist level. I think that assist level is simply too much of a nuance at this point for a legal requirement to define its impact. Would a manslaughter case be determined based on whether a bike was set to PAS 3 at 300w or PAS 5 at 500w motor output? On the other hand, if you were clocked going 28mph and ran someone over resulting in serious injury or death, you can bet that would be taken into account (keep in mind speed can be approximated based on the result of a crash - not exact, but the difference between a bike collision at 18mph and 28mph would certainly be definable by an expert in a court of law).

Classes aren't changeable. If they were, you wouldn't need to do it through settings. A throttle can adjust speeds/assist, pedaling can adjust speeds, changing assist level can adjust speeds. Settings on a display is no different.

I've worked with others in overturning ebike bans. I've done an insane amount of research, spoken to law makers and enforcement officials. I spoke to the person who wrote the law legalizing ebikes in my state. Class cannot be changed on the fly. Class 1 and 3 cannot have throttles. Class 2 is the only class with throttle and it is limited to 20 mph. Bikes are supposed to be permanently labeled with their class designation.

Most state laws allow for the DIY'er to set up a bike in the class they choose. It has to be fixed and labeled. Same if you change a bike's class. Some think this is a loophole for multi class bikes. If you read the law as published by the state it's very clear. Many sellers will say a class 3 can have a throttle to 20 mph. This is the worst lie of all as, all class 3 regs read pedal assist only, must be pedalled to activate assist.

There's been enforcement. Some park rangers have lists of bike brands that are likely not compliant. If asked about the best bike class to buy I say buy the bike that's legal where you will usually ride.

We will either see much more enforcement or total bans. Total bans are much easier and cheaper to enforce. If banned the charge is trespassing, my county the fine is $880 and it's a criminal offense.

All that said, I'm not the ebike police. I enforce nothing, even if it's a friend. Even though I've probably read every state law, I'm not an authority for where others ride.

Classes aren't changeable. If they were, you wouldn't need to do it through settings. A throttle can adjust speeds/assist, pedaling can adjust speeds, changing assist level can adjust speeds. Settings on a display is no different.

I've worked with others in overturning ebike bans. I've done an insane amount of research, spoken to law makers and enforcement officials. I spoke to the person who wrote the law legalizing ebikes in my state. Class cannot be changed on the fly. Class 1 and 3 cannot have throttles. Class 2 is the only class with throttle and it is limited to 20 mph. Bikes are supposed to be permanently labeled with their class designation.

Most state laws allow for the DIY'er to set up a bike in the class they choose. It has to be fixed and labeled. Same if you change a bike's class. Some think this is a loophole for multi class bikes. If you read the law as published by the state it's very clear. Many sellers will say a class 3 can have a throttle to 20 mph. This is the worst lie of all as, all class 3 regs read pedal assist only, must be pedalled to activate assist.

There's been enforcement. Some park rangers have lists of bike brands that are likely not compliant. If asked about the best bike class to buy I say buy the bike that's legal where you will usually ride.

We will either see much more enforcement or total bans. Total bans are much easier and cheaper to enforce. If banned the charge is trespassing, my county the fine is $880 and it's a criminal offense.

All that said, I'm not the ebike police. I enforce nothing, even if it's a friend. Even though I've probably read every state law, I'm not an authority for where others ride.
Actually they are changeable. My local trails are class 1. My bike is class 2. After I arrive at one of the trail entrances I stop, turn off the bike, unplug the throttle, and then enter the trail as a class 1 bike. I've only seen a ranger once and she was pulling out of the parking lot as I was entering it. She stopped and watched me but never even got out of her truck after she observed me disconnecting my throttle.

Actually they are changeable. My local trails are class 1. My bike is class 2. After I arrive at one of the trail entrances I stop, turn off the bike, unplug the throttle, and then enter the trail as a class 1 bike. I've only seen a ranger once and she was pulling out of the parking lot as I was entering it. She stopped and watched me but never even got out of her truck after she observed me disconnecting my throttle.
I'm sorry, they are not changeable. I'm not against any ebike or rider. I'm not against throttles. A class 2 can never be a class 1 unless the throttle is removed from the bike and the new class sticker is permanently affixed in place of the old sticker.

As stated I'm not the ebike police. I'm very sure you ride respectfully, I've read your posts and you are doing more than the average person with a non compliant bike. Lack of enforcement isn't tacit compliance.

I'm sorry, they are not changeable. I'm not against any ebike or rider. I'm not against throttles. A class 2 can never be a class 1 unless the throttle is removed from the bike and the new class sticker is permanently affixed in place of the old sticker.

As stated I'm not the ebike police. I'm very sure you ride respectfully, I've read your posts and you are doing more than the average person with a non compliant bike. Lack of enforcement isn't tacit compliance.
It wasn't just that. The first year I rode the trails everything was closed due to covid. The second year the campground area, which is managed by rangers, was open so I stopped in and asked. The ranger said as long as the throttle was disconnected that it was legal to ride it on the trails.

It wasn't just that. The first year I rode the trails everything was closed due to covid. The second year the campground area, which is managed by rangers, was open so I stopped in and asked. The ranger said as long as the throttle was disconnected that it was legal to ride it on the trails.
I genuinely do not want to argue the issue. I only wanted to add information I know to be correct in an attempt to help dispel all the misconceptions about the classes and laws.

Entire Maine law:

"B. Beginning October 1, 2019, a manufacturer or distributor of electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each electric bicycle. The label must contain the classification number, top assisted speed and motor wattage of the electric bicycle and must be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.

C. A person may not tamper with or modify an electric bicycle so as to change the motor-powered speed capability or motor engagement between pedal-assist and throttle-assist types of engagement, unless the person appropriately replaces the label indicating the classification required in paragraph B."

I know what a total ban, county wide feels like and looks like. We are the ones that suffer. Nearly every 3 class law reads the same, has the same meaning. There's no ambiguity. Speaking to the law makers and enforcement commissioners it's very clear. Classes aren't changeable. I really wish we didn't have any issues. When I commuted on what is now called a class 2 in 2014, we all flew under the radar. Regulations didn't exist. Unfortunately it's a new day.

I genuinely do not want to argue the issue. I only wanted to add information I know to be correct in an attempt to help dispel all the misconceptions about the classes and laws.

Entire Maine law:

"B. Beginning October 1, 2019, a manufacturer or distributor of electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each electric bicycle. The label must contain the classification number, top assisted speed and motor wattage of the electric bicycle and must be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.

C. A person may not tamper with or modify an electric bicycle so as to change the motor-powered speed capability or motor engagement between pedal-assist and throttle-assist types of engagement, unless the person appropriately replaces the label indicating the classification required in paragraph B."

I know what a total ban, county wide feels like and looks like. We are the ones that suffer. Nearly every 3 class law reads the same, has the same meaning. There's no ambiguity. Speaking to the law makers and enforcement commissioners it's very clear. Classes aren't changeable. I really wish we didn't have any issues. When I commuted on what is now called a class 2 in 2014, we all flew under the radar. Regulations didn't exist. Unfortunately it's a new day.
I don't think we're arguing.
(1) A Class 1 electric bicycle or a Class 2 electric bicycle may be used in places where bicycles are permitted to travel, including, but not limited to, bicycle paths, except that a municipality, local authority or governing body of a public agency that has jurisdiction over a bicycle path may prohibit the operation of a Class 1 electric bicycle or Class 2 electric bicycle on that bicycle path.

I and apparently the rangers in charge of the trail I sometimes ride on must have interpreted that to mean that as long as the bike's motor can only be used while pedaling all is good. The only sticker on my bike is a 1 which I think referred to the fact it was the first model year for a Rad Rover Step Through. In any case they are fine with it as long as I just unplug the throttle. If that changes I really don't have a problem with removing it entirely once I have my new grips which are on their way from Spain. The stock ones would be much too hard to remove if I needed to put it back on for emergency use.

I don't think we're arguing.
(1) A Class 1 electric bicycle or a Class 2 electric bicycle may be used in places where bicycles are permitted to travel, including, but not limited to, bicycle paths, except that a municipality, local authority or governing body of a public agency that has jurisdiction over a bicycle path may prohibit the operation of a Class 1 electric bicycle or Class 2 electric bicycle on that bicycle path.

I and apparently the rangers in charge of the trail I sometimes ride on must have interpreted that to mean that as long as the bike's motor can only be used while pedaling all is good. The only sticker on my bike is a 1 which I think referred to the fact it was the first model year for a Rad Rover Step Through. In any case they are fine with it as long as I just unplug the throttle. If that changes I really don't have a problem with removing it entirely once I have my new grips which are on their way from Spain. The stock ones would be much too hard to remove if I needed to put it back on for emergency use.
You're a rational person. Words on a page can easily be misinterpreted, I didn't want to start a fire.

I don't know where in Maine you ride, but I've spent time there and given all the outdoor pursuits, all the different offroad "vehicles" there are, I'd bet a class 2 is the tamest of them all and the rangers welcome you.

Last edited:
You're a rational person. Words on a page can easily be misinterpreted, I didn't want to start a fire.

I don't know where in Maine you ride, but I've spent time there and given all the outdoor pursuits, all the different offroad "vehicles" there are, I'd bet a class 2 is the tamest of them all and the rangers welcome you.
The trails are a fairly new addition to a section of Acadia National Park located in Winter Harbor. The closest entrance to the trails is 3.2 miles from my house. I enjoy riding them as well as the Park Loop Road along the ocean. I tend to just ride around the Gouldsboro peninsula which surrounds the park where the max speed limit is 45 but is mostly 25 where I ride. My opinion is that it's best to ride a fat tire bike here as the roads are not usually in the best shape and there are no shoulders for most of them. I know if I'm ever forced off of one by a vehicle I'm going to be really grateful for those tires.

Back