NEW BBSHD M625 AND BBS02 M325

Not much tech info... but the chainring upgrade is welcomed.
Not liking the new mounting, looks like s*it to me. Mines holding tight so I'd probably choose to leave off the extra support clamp

Last edited:
Not much info... but the chainring upgrade is welcomed.
Not liking the new mounting, looks like s*it to me. Mines holding tight so I'd probably choose to leave off the extra support clamp

WHAT AN UGLY DESIGN!

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 12.06.46 PM.png

One more busy season and I'm out. Keeping up with Bafang and my love/hate for their products has worn me out. I've still never been able to get Bafang to release updated motor data by serial number. NOTHING! I'll keep riding the motors I own and along with my parts stash, I should be good until I take the dirt nap.

I should be good until I take the dirt nap.
Then for sure you shall be known as Santo Bafango 😇
If anything I think I would jump to the Ultra on my next bike. But I'm still curious to see what these are once some more info is released.
A factory programming guide would be welcomed as well.

Something no one is noting is the motors are now CAN bus which means they have cut everyone off from the settings interface.

From what I was able to see when this was leaked a few days before the announcement, the chainline on the HD has moved inboard by a bit.

This makes Luna's stated intention to sell the Ludicrous v2 controller - with its open-source software - on the open market a whole lot more compelling.

no one is noting is the motors are now CAN bus which means they have cut everyone off from the settings interface.
Believe me, we know and are frustrated by Bafang Corp's support.

No surprise since Bafang has never liked the release of programming apps to end customers.
Shenanigans like upgrading the BBS01 series and never alerting resellers. Witness their dumbing down of controller to throw error codes with 52Vbatteries.

Yeah Bafang has succeeded in the US DIY market despite their best efforts. The writing was on the wall with how they have handled the Ultra. My most recent 2020 and 2021 builds used, I suspect, backdated firmware (Luna) as I have no issues with 52v batteries, but I have certainly heard about the grief others have suffered.

I'm glad I got all my builds pretty much done before getting stuck with one of these abominations. All of the plug types have been changed, with the exception of the brake levers it seems.

I wonderrrr... this motor would be a far better fit in the EU. If they continue production of the existing HD and 02, could this be a product they are aiming more at the new Polish factory and the EU market? Thats a realm where all mods are deemed to be high crimes. This product would seem to tailor itself to that mentality.

just yuck in every way, i hate it. i had not planned on it but looks like i will be purchasing an old school BBSHD before they vanish.

just yuck in every way, i hate it. i had not planned on it but looks like i will be purchasing an old school BBSHD before they vanish.
I totally agree.
But I'd be stoked to see what changes CANBUS brings. Down side is you won't be able to change settings until someone hacks it or it's leaked... if ever...
As for the looks I think the hose clamp Upgrade support can be easily omitted without consequences

I'm thinking that the hose clamp mod is total amateur hour. Just the suggestion of a terrible looking, REALLY bad idea like that is something I find insulting! At the very least, that clamp could easily be replaced by a 3.00 piece of aluminum strap (cut to length and holes drilled at each end) from most any hardware with a through bolt used at the motor lug. 15 minutes tops.

Now completely spoiled knowing what can be done with the UART BUS, I'm sitting on my hands until they get the CANBUS unlocked well enough where us common folk can have our way with it. I'll be quite happy with my hub drives until then. -Al

What a nightmare! Bafang has never liked the fact that programming can be done by users. It looks like they have responded by only having dealers able to use the BESST programming. We could work offline but now a code is needed to use the software. Dealers are scrambling to find a workaround.

What a nightmare! Bafang has never liked the fact that programming can be done by users. It looks like they have responded by only having dealers able to use the BESST programming. We could work offline but now a code is needed to use the software. Dealers are scrambling to find a workaround.
Thomas-
From what I gather lurking on the topic over on ES, they're working on it. Guys familiar with CANBUS and Linux are already talking to the CANBUS controllers on a limited basis. It's just going to take somebody (a brainiac) like this some patience to come up with a user interface that will dumb this down to the point guys (us common folk/non engineer types) can understand well enough to use.

In other words, I don't think that UART interface we've been using came from Bafang, or was done with Bafang's permission. That was a total hack done by users to my understanding.

My point is, knowing something like that is even possible, I'm pretty confident we'll see something we can use at some point. Biggest question I have is when. -Al

I’m not expecting answers from ES anytime soon. Again, Bafang BESST requires a dealer code and login. I’m afraid we’re gonna be left out in the cold for some time. Bafang is doing everything possible to mimic Bosch policy of no access to hacks.

Well, well, well will wonders never cease, someone read the m500/m600 thread, at least partially and superficially.

CANBUS is programmable.

There is 2 methods, only one is fully operable.

The one they are struggling with is the penhoff type you are all used to, they're struggling to decipher the hexidecimal, the codes used to communicate with the motor.

The one that works is a local BESST server. Local means you have a version of bafangs BESST interface that lives on your hard drive. When BESST communicates with your PC it is subjected to a 'MITM', 'Man In The Middle' attack which redirects it from communicating for eg with server.bafang.com to communicating with your local version on 192.168.*.* whatever address your server is at (192.168.2.1 likely) this is done through changing the hosts file on your computer to believe 192.168.*.* is bafang. The password element is taken care of in the localised files you have.

I told you this months ago and provided the scripts and i'm the pariah?

We found it no longer works off our hard drive. I’m apparently missing something. Thank you!

Well, well, well will wonders never cease, someone read the m500/m600 thread, at least partially and superficially.

CANBUS is programmable.

There is 2 methods, only one is fully operable.

The one they are struggling with is the penhoff type you are all used to, they're struggling to decipher the hexidecimal, the codes used to communicate with the motor.

The one that works is a local BESST server. Local means you have a version of bafangs BESST interface that lives on your hard drive. When BESST communicates with your PC it is subjected to a 'MITM', 'Man In The Middle' attack which redirects it from communicating for eg with server.bafang.com to communicating with your local version on 192.168.*.* whatever address your server is at (192.168.2.1 likely) this is done through changing the hosts file on your computer to believe 192.168.*.* is bafang. The password element is taken care of in the localised files you have.

I told you this months ago and provided the scripts and i'm the pariah?
Can you post a screen shot of the available parameters that can be adjusted?

Back