I got to tour the Electric Bike Company Factory and we made a video!

cool but I hear we use thicker spokes for a stronger wheel. actually thicker spokes make the wheel weaker.

no voice of the master wheel smiths Have talked too.
My guess is they must be master wheel smiths who have very likely never touched an Ebike. The people I've met who consider themselves "Master Wheel Builders" have an inherent disdain for ebikes.

Spoke thickness is relative to bike weight and use case. The additional torque generated by the motor (especially a HUB Motor) necessitates stronger built wheels including heavier gauge spokes.

My guess is they must be master wheel smiths who have very likely never touched an Ebike. The people I've met who consider themselves "Master Wheel Builders" have an inherent disdain for ebikes.

Spoke thickness is relative to bike weight and use case. The additional torque generated by the motor (especially a HUB Motor) necessitates stronger built wheels including heavier gauge spokes.
actually you are wrong. the problem is thicker spokes are so strong that the rim cant take the tension if they are tensioned to the right specs. a well tensioned thiner spoke makes a stronger wheel then a less tensioned thicker spoke. all you have to do is look at all the spoke complaints on lower end e bikes to see how well it works. Remember even a light wheel can take a pros 1200 watts of torque. And yes I spoke to a wheelsmith who specializes in ebike wheels and a couple others. if the rim was steel then a thicker spoke may be a choice but they are not. the thicker the spoke the more tension it will need and the rim just cant take that tension. As far as torque how mcc ado you think those Bafang 750 watt motors really produce? I have peaked out with 700 watt bursts plus what my mid drive does and often do 450 watts climbing steep hills and my very well built wheels are still true and may never need trued.

Well, there's a first time for everything ... :rolleyes:
hey join my team and you can enjoy that benefit often :p How well a wheel is built is the most important factor. our tandem has double butted strong sapim spokes and my commuter has triple butted sapim spokes and I doubt I will never have to have them trued unless I mess them up.

Back