Panniers

I use these ones from Canadian Tire on my Infinite. May seem a little big for some people but they work for me.

Infinite Pic.jpg

I had my eye on an Ortleib high viz single bag but for the money I ought to buy a pair even if I anticipate only using the one.
So now, I'm looking at Arkel bags. Trying to keep my purchase to a Canadian company. Arkel is in Sherbrooke, Quebec.
I recently took a trip by road to NFLD from the opposite end of the country. I thought Quebecers were awesome whenever we had contact with them. CN

If Canadian companies are your thing, look at Axiom. Unfortunately their bags of today are nowhere near as good as the previous generation that went out of production a few years ago. I have one of each of their 3 or four sizes and if I could get more I would do so. But they are priced about half that of an Ortlieb.

With respect to an Ortlieb clone, believe it or not the RockBros 27L packs are pretty good. But fitment can be spotty depending on your rack. I have a set and they fit my Axiom and Blackburn racks perfectly. But their price has crept up in the last year or so and what used to cost about US$70 for a pair is now in the ballpark of US$120-140.

If Canadian companies are your thing, look at Axiom. Unfortunately their bags of today are nowhere near as good as the previous generation that went out of production a few years ago. I have one of each of their 3 or four sizes and if I could get more I would do so. But they are priced about half that of an Ortlieb.

With respect to an Ortlieb clone, believe it or not the RockBros 27L packs are pretty good. But fitment can be spotty depending on your rack. I have a set and they fit my Axiom and Blackburn racks perfectly. But their price has crept up in the last year or so and what used to cost about US$70 for a pair is now in the ballpark of US$120-140.
Thanks! I did see some Axiom bags on a website while looking for panniers. I'm not stuck on Canadian made, I just prefer to not deal with shipping and duties while not being able to cross the border due to Covid 19. Normally it's not a big deal. I just have things shipped to Blaine WA and go get them in the middle of the night when there's little or no border traffic. Blaine is about a 15 minute jaunt from me. CN

Thanks! I did see some Axiom bags on a website while looking for panniers. I'm not stuck on Canadian made, I just prefer to not deal with shipping and duties while not being able to cross the border due to Covid 19. Normally it's not a big deal. I just have things shipped to Blaine WA and go get them in the middle of the night when there's little or no border traffic. Blaine is about a 15 minute jaunt from me. CN
oh yeah the cross border thing can be a gigantic PITA. Especially on your side of the fence. I hadn't thought of that.

Does anyone use a Rockbros bag ?
I have a pair of the big 27L dry bags. The ones with the foldover tops. Great bags but I paid just under $70 for the pair... RockBros was clearing them out a couple years ago and they were cheaper in general back then, too. My version has the outside pocket. Even at the higher prices charged today, they are a deal. Well constructed. The attachment mech can either be great or so-so. Apparently different ones have been in use over time and some of them ... suck. Mine are fine. I can provide pics if these are the ones you are looking at.

This is a photo of the trunk bag I was interested in. It has panniers on both sides and I believe it attatches to bike rack via velcro straps .

Attachments

• R24b23c21fccd0152f064daea9f851d2a.jpeg-1.jpg
    R24b23c21fccd0152f064daea9f851d2a.jpeg-1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 282
Do you find that tall rack bags make it harder to get on and off? You certainly need to make a higher leg swing.

Does anyone use a Rockbros bag ?
What rack do you have? My Racktime Lightit is narrow but sturdy and I got an Odin bag that has panniers in the zippered side pockets. I really like mine.

Attachments

• 6784E582-76FF-4E8D-A3D6-9FD885543E66.jpeg
    6784E582-76FF-4E8D-A3D6-9FD885543E66.jpeg
    886.6 KB · Views: 333
  • E1280C6B-B29A-4F50-AB17-24A869F459E1.jpeg
    E1280C6B-B29A-4F50-AB17-24A869F459E1.jpeg
    786.9 KB · Views: 324
I have an Amego Infinite that comes with a rack. I have a step through model so I'm not worried about getting on or off the bike . I'm too old for doing the splits anyways lol .

I like the idea of having several types of panniers depending on the use. Like if I’m going birding/site seeing I would take a trunk bag with my camera gear but if I’m going grocery shopping then two large panniers are needed, and if I’m going to coffee shop then something to slip my iPad into.

What rack do you have? My Racktime Lightit is narrow but sturdy and I got an Odin bag that has panniers in the zippered side pockets. I really like mine.

I was looking at some inexpensive Chinese panniers with that zipper side fold down thing, very nice. I probably should have grabbed them, they look useful.

This is a photo of the trunk bag I was interested in. It has panniers on both sides and I believe it attatches to bike rack via velcro straps .
I have a rockbros trunk bag, but honestly, it is much smaller than it looks in the ads and i don't use it. I find it's too small to fit my needs, and the connections are fiddly (velcro and elastic straps). By comparison, I have an older quick-release trunk bag on my hardtail bike, and while it's smaller, I absolutely love the ability to slide it off with one button and walk away with my stuff in my possession. Also makes it quick to remove for a bike wash. Topeak and Ibera make a few models, but you have to ensure your rack is compatible.

For my commuter, I have settled on one big MEC 20L pannier with quick release, and it holds everything i could need including my spare 19Ah battery.

Back