BBS02 Grease still an issue??

Biaviian

Region
Asia
I just ordered a 48v BBS02 mid-drive. I read that for a time they weren't putting much grease in these things, and/or were using moly grease which is potentially bad for the inner nylon gear. Can anyone confirm is this is still an issue; can't seem to find any updates on this topic.

Also everywhere I check on the interwebs points me to Mobile 28 or Aeroshell as the grease of choice... I'm located in Japan and that stuff ranges 60 - 100 USD for a standard size tube. Would any type of silicone grease be fine?

I feel my BBS02B was properly lubricated at the factory purchased 1 year ago.
Mobil SCH100 is also a popular lubricant used for the BBS motors...at least here in the USA
I added lubricant to mine at 1000 miles... And it was probably a bit premature.
I think as long as described as for use with electric motors and plastic gears you should be fine. Best thing to do is to remove all existing grease to avoid compatibility issues and check with the manufacturer of the lubricant as to its use.

Grease issues are largely a thing of the past. However, a wise rider expecting to be a high mileage rider should consider checking and adding lubrication. Any airport FBO ought to have a similar product.
¥25,444 for SHC100, THAT IS NUTS!!!

My plan was to pop it open before installing to make sure there is adequate lubricant. The price is crazy high, much more than I am willing to dish out. I'll keep searching around, its looking like my best option is going to be silicone grease. Is anyone familiar with Super Lube, a multipurpose synthetic grease?

My plan was to pop it open before installing to make sure there is adequate lubricant. The price is crazy high, much more than I am willing to dish out. I'll keep searching around, its looking like my best option is going to be silicone grease. Is anyone familiar with Super Lube, a multipurpose synthetic grease?
Is this what you are referring to? Super Lube
Though many greases I'm sure would work... I can't be certain and it would not be my choice going by the manufacturer Technical Data Sheet
These are designed for use in the food industry and not for electric motors or metal gears.
Send them an email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Is this what you are referring to? Super Lube
Though many greases I'm sure would work... I can't be certain and it would not be my choice going by the manufacturer Technical Data Sheet
These are designed for use in the food industry and not for electric motors or metal gears.
Send them an email: [email protected]
Yeah I did see that myself after posting.

There are options of grease on the japanese market for this application; that's probably what I'll go with. Most likely I was over thinking 🤔 in sticking only with what others have used. Thanks for the input!

Yeah I did see that myself after posting.

There are options of grease on the japanese market for this application; that's probably what I'll go with. Most likely I was over thinking 🤔 in sticking only with what others have used. Thanks for the input!
I think you have plenty of time as I don't think there is any reason to open up a new motor... You probably have at least 2000km before anything needs to be checked.
Good luck with the new eBike!

Mobilegrease 28 (red) is perfect for internal workings on these motors. If it's loud it probably needs some, best way to quite it down.Just be careful on opening up as the gaskets have a way of sticking to one side or the other.

Mobilegrease 28 (red) is perfect for internal workings on these motors. If it's loud it probably needs some, best way to quite it down.Just be careful on opening up as the gaskets have a way of sticking to one side or the other.
28 is clay based. SCH100 is compatible with the OEM plastic gear grease.

I stay with Mobile and their recommendations. I used 28 for several years until a discussion was had with Mobile product support. 28 won’t harm, but clay based 28 is not compatible with lithium based grease. Apparently there have not been documented problems but why not use compatible products? If using 28 I suggest customers use it throughout the motor after removing all OEM lubricants. As always there are a number of opinions. And YMMV! 🙂

Thanks for the reference for the mobil SCH100. Still got 90% of a tube left of the 28 but nice to have options.

I use Mobil28 as well but before I switch a motor to it I spend the afternoon cleaning out every bit of the factory lube thats in there specifically for the reason @tomjasz cites. I've had extremely good results with it on Bafang fat hub motors that seem to somehow eat the white lithium they come 'packed' with (dribbled is more like it). The BBSHDs I have opened up over the last couple of years have used a black grease that I have never needed to replenish or otherwise worry about. I've stopped opening them up.

SCH100, a better choice. Compatible with the grease Bafang uses.

I used super lube multi purposes on Tongsheng motor both in nylon and metal gear and so far so good. Extremely quiet!

Back