Loosing The Knobbies

Just changed out my knobby tires this week, handles well, no noise might be faster and might have better range , time will tell

Attachments

• 7E2B6DA2-E171-4194-B9EE-723066D93E44.jpeg
    7E2B6DA2-E171-4194-B9EE-723066D93E44.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 335
  • CB5E094A-3FE3-45C0-B4B5-9883AFA1059B.jpeg
    CB5E094A-3FE3-45C0-B4B5-9883AFA1059B.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 320
I changed my knobbies for a set of those Origin 8's. There is no doubt they are quiet when run at any speed on pavement. The downside, is self steering. A tendency to go off on their own, or causing over steer. Mine didn't last 50 miles and they were changed for some Kenda Flame 26x3" tires. These worked out MUCH better for me, with the self steering issue pretty much gone.

Changing a tire or tube on a hub powered bike will get easier each time you do it. When it gets right down to it, you'll find tires and tubes can be changed by removing the tire or tube, from the side of the motor without the wires, without even unplugging the motor. You need to create enough slack in the wire (cut enough wire ties) to allow you to lift the wheel up just enough to allow the old tire/tube to be removed, and the new one to be slid into place. 1/2 hour tops....

Last edited:
I was actually think of these (see link) ...correct me if I'm wrong but if a tire has rounded edges it'll have less tendency to 'self-steer', correct?

Attachments

• Vee.jpg
    Vee.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 347
I don't know Doc. The Origin 8's are pretty rounded? I went into this blind. I knew I wanted to quiet the knobbies on pavement, and I had read about the self steering issue, but I was NOT prepared for it the first time I experienced it.

FWIW, the 3" Kenda Flame tires have a pretty sharp break where the tread ends and the sidewall starts, and the self steering issue isn't bad at all.

I did try to dial it out using progressively more pressure, and it did improve, but I got up to 20psi where the ride is getting pretty stiff, and the self steering was still pretty apparent.

Make me an offer on a pair of Origin 8's w/tubes so you can see what's going on. Very few miles, new this past spring, and they're just collecting dust. -Al

I think the Cheetahs geometry is quite unique, the front end has alot of Rake and is going to give the ride a certain feel and the road tires are making alot more contact than the knobbies. My road tires feel good on pavement just hoping traction is good enough in the dirt.

That feeling of having a LOT more rubber in contact with the road is something I still experience. More so with the 26x4 than the 26x3, but it's still pretty apparent. Espeially after coming off the 26x2 city bike....

The ride is nice on the fatty's, but that's not coming without a price......

Do you guys have fenders? Not much clearance, does this come into consideration when considering different wheels (sizes and shapes?)

The fenders on my bike have not been an issue, so far anyway, in my experience.

My Rad Rover has 2800 miles on it so I expect I'll have to go with new tires by next spring so I'm thinking about it. I have a Rad Mini ST on order and it doesn't use knobbies so when I get that I'll have an idea which I like best. My hearing sucks so the noise from knobbies doesn't really bother me.

I found a deal I could not pass up on a vee zigzag ($27.00). I initially purchased two, the following day I sent an email asking if they had them in stock and got reply telling me they only one. In a way things work out with just the one, imo it makes the cheetah look more like a bobber, fat tire in rear and even though the vee is same size it has a skinnier look. Definitely less noise and what seems like less drag.

Attachments

• A4A0DCC2-7194-48FA-AD09-A77FFC9A1DC8.jpeg
    A4A0DCC2-7194-48FA-AD09-A77FFC9A1DC8.jpeg
    825.9 KB · Views: 261
I have these on my big cruiser (26x2.8 on my bike). They have been pretty good. No issues. Grip quite well and no sliding. For pavement and hardpack.
Vee Speedster

Vee Tire Co. Speedster Tire.jpg

I've had my new Rad Mini for a few days now and do like the tires. They are nice and quiet and I can actually hear the motor which I can't on my Rover. I've been running them at 20PSI and slimed them today and decided to try 25PSI for my next ride. I'll need new tires on my Rover for next season and thinking about these:

Back