4000 miles - 6400 km on Turbo S

For those few that still ride the good old Turbo's I thought I'd share my experiences with my 2016 Turbo S up 'til now. I bought the bike 1 yr and 11 months ago (important as you will find below) and live in Stockholm, Sweden. I am using my Turbo S as my commuter vehicle - 30 km total distance per day. On average I bike 3-4 days per week as I frequently travel to other places for work. All year round. I have also taken off for longer multi-day rides (+200 km) during the summer holidays. The bike is a true workhorse and the 500W engine and 691 kwh battery has worked like a charm. All components, like the little display thing and lights, have never caused any problems unlike what has been reported by others. Winter wear is tough on bikes up here in the north which means that I have changed chain and cassette twice during this period and brake pads go like butter. I have not made much mods to the original setup, except replacing the front fender with a generic back fender to take away some spray, an installment of a saddle shock damper and adding a new 12mm rear axle from the Robert Axle Project to fit a trailer.

But this early spring I encountered my first serious problem with the bike(!). The battery reported a discharge error and the engine cut out a couple of times when riding home. Given the -5 celsius temp and snow I thought this could well explain the bad behavior. Nevertheless, I took the bike to my local shop and they decided to replace the engine (!). As my problem occurred before the magic 2 yr mark it was all free of charge. I did not protest, but argued that it might be a battery problem rather. One week later I got the bike back and made two more commute rides when the battery reported same error again and then decided to die. Back to the shop, new battery installed, again free of charge. So 1 yr and almost 11 months since I purchased this steel horse I have now essentially received a new bike. I sense that I have had more luck than I deserve.

On a more general note - this is of course not in favor for the Specialized Brand and their relatively high priced products. A bike at this price level should not need replacements of key components within the guarantee period. But it is a proof that large brands often underestimate the challenges to go into a new sector, in this case e-bikes. Specialized ebikes (at least the Turbo or rather the ebike specific components on the Turbo) are not necessarily the high quality products you may think. Reading all threads I feel I am extremely lucky to have had so little problems during my ownership and when problems arouse, Specialized very expediently solved those. I have absolutely no complaints on the service. And I will continue to ride this beast as I have not seen any ebike yet that have a significantly better performance or feel when riding (not that I have tested many either). Specialized did not make much profit on my bike, but they sure have a happy rider. And I will continue to be so, fingers crossed, for another couple of years, if things work as they have until now. Swoosh!

Last edited:
Great report and thanks for sharing your experience! I hope you get at least another 6400 km on the new motor and battery!

Did the battery degrade at all over that time and mileage? Were you charging every day? Any decrease in range over that time?

Great report and thanks for sharing your experience! I hope you get at least another 6400 km on the new motor and battery!

Did the battery degrade at all over that time and mileage? Were you charging every day? Any decrease in range over that time?

I'd estimate that the battery degraded about 10% over the whole period before it started to malfunction. Difficult to estimate decrease in range as I switch to studded tires and severe temperatures in winter. Typically I have at least 25% decrease in range with the winter tires and sub-zero temperatures. But it all feels so much better when spring arrives and summer wheels come on - range feels endless! My charging pattern is always a complete recharge weekdays. If I remember I let the battery sit at around 50% for periods not using the bike and over weekends. I keep the bike in my garage which gets quite cold winter times, but this does not seem to affect the battery condition. Up until the last weeks before malfunction the battery reported 100% health. After the initial discharge error, app reported health dropped to 95%. At the same time I could not charge up to more than 85%. Over the next week the ability to charge dropped steadily down to 80%. Health was still reported as 95% in the app. Weird. At the same time the engine cut out when I still had 35% charge remaining. Battery did not deliver enough voltage. Clearly this indicates that one or more cells failed. The degradation was quite sudden and seemed to continue fast. Then one morning turning on the battery, lights came on, cock pit reported error and engine would not operate. Voltage 36.2V. That's when I got the battery replaced.

Good to know. I have a low-end turbo and I can say it's pretty reliable too regarding the shitty weather of Stockholm. I had a new wheel at around 2500 km due to the spokes jumping off (but the engine was fine). And the LCD was replaced 3 times (dead backlight). The battery will almost mark 10.000km and is still working as the first day. I wish the battery will go dead before reaching 2 years (in september) so I can get a new one =). I've seen some new 691Wh batteries for 900€ but that's madness.
I've noticed some corrosion on the the engine where makes connection with the spokes, the black paint is coming off. If I can reach with this bike until 2019, mission accomplished. But I'm not sure I will get a Specialized bike again. I'd rather try something else.

My Turbo just hit 4000 miles and I'm thinking of changing the chain and cassette. I'm surprised you already had to change yours twice. What kind of wear did it show when you measured it (if you did)? Mine shows > 0.5% and < 0.75% on a wear gauge. It is starting to skip sometimes.

I've had my Turbo S nearly 2 years and >16,000km (10,000 miles). I also review ebikes, so I have ridden most bikes available including Vado. It is no surprise to me that Specialized had intended to continue the Turbo S (but couldn't due to accidental death of the key engineer at GoSwiss which meant that further fixes and improvements were never going to happen).

Honestly, I am so afraid of having a bad accident if it means my bike will be badly damaged, because it is still the best commuter bike available. To be fair, I've haven't tried all the Stromers (only ST1X). None of the mid-drive bikes can match the Turbo S. It remains the best ebike for the long-distance commuter.

I've had my Turbo S nearly 2 years and >16,000km (10,000 miles). I also review ebikes, so I have ridden most bikes available including Vado. It is no surprise to me that Specialized had intended to continue the Turbo S (but couldn't due to accidental death of the key engineer at GoSwiss which meant that further fixes and improvements were never going to happen).

Honestly, I am so afraid of having a bad accident if it means my bike will be badly damaged, because it is still the best commuter bike available. To be fair, I've haven't tried all the Stromers (only ST1X). None of the mid-drive bikes can match the Turbo S. It remains the best ebike for the long-distance commuter.
Is that because of the DD rear hub?

From everything I'm reading, the hub drive seems better than mid-drive unless you have big hills over 10% or get lots of flat tires (pain to change with our setup). Otherwise I'm not getting the mid-drive religion.

I love my Turbo X and I love it more over time!

Stromer is likely a good alternative - are they all still hub drive?

That said, I don't have any experience with a mid-drive bike so maybe I'd love it. Sounds like you (@bazzapage) have tried them and prefer our Specialized DD setup?

Back