Brake Upgrade ( 3 )

akakpaws

Can anyone advise whether the

Tektro Mountain Bike MD-M280 Rear Disc Brake Caliper with 160mm Rotor​

Would work with my 2015 epic SE? It would replace the zoom b320 which Came with the bike. If so would I need to change out the original mounting bracket? Thanks.

Calliper mounting bolt spacing should be pretty much the same, otherwise there’d be all sorts of issues marrying callipers to different frames/ forks. If you are swapping 160mm zoom for 160mm tektro then there is no need for a calliper adaptor plate, these are typically used to fit bigger rotors so the calliper needs to be spaced out for the larger diameter braking zone.

the rotors themselves are not all the same fixings, so you need to check the mounting points and bolt hole locations

have you thought about trying a larger 180mm rotor on the back, and just spacing out your current calliper ?

swapping one 160mm brake set up for another doesn’t seem like a great move unless you think there are inherent issues with the zoom set up.

as posted in your other threads a change of pads may resolve your issues, the current pads could have been contaminated during build
/ set up, an errant spray jet of lube would vastly reduce the effectiveness of a set of pads.

Calliper mounting bolt spacing should be pretty much the same, otherwise there’d be all sorts of issues marrying callipers to different frames/ forks. If you are swapping 160mm zoom for 160mm tektro then there is no need for a calliper adaptor plate, these are typically used to fit bigger rotors so the calliper needs to be spaced out for the larger diameter braking zone.

the rotors themselves are not all the same fixings, so you need to check the mounting points and bolt hole locations

have you thought about trying a larger 180mm rotor on the back, and just spacing out your current calliper ?

swapping one 160mm brake set up for another doesn’t seem like a great move unless you think there are inherent issues with the zoom set up.

as posted in your other threads a change of pads may resolve your issues, the current pads could have been contaminated during build
/ set up, an errant spray jet of lube would vastly reduce the effectiveness of a set of pads.
Thanks very much!

Thanks very much!

Percy I have decided to try the bigger rotor router. I'm going to go with 180 mm. I assume this means I have to replace the adapter, in which case can you suggest how I can still go about finding the correct one? Thanks.

Percy I have decided to try the bigger rotor router. I'm going to go with 180 mm. I assume this means I have to replace the adapter, in which case can you suggest how I can still go about finding the correct one? Thanks.

Back