6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I just received this recall notice from Pedego:

Campaign Logo

VOLUNTARY PRODUCT RECALL ALERT

In cooperation with the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, Pedego is voluntarily recalling several Pedego electric bike models due to an improperly manufactured electrical cable. The recalled units were sold between January 2018 and August 2020. If you purchased a Pedego during this time period, stop using the product immediately. It’s possible for wear and/or corrosion (commonly known as fretting) of a cable connection to occur and cause the bike to momentarily accelerate on its own, posing a potential fall hazard.

The following models purchased between January 2018 and August 2020 may be affected:

• Interceptor (Including Platinum Edition)
  • City Commuter (Including Mid Drive Edition and Black Edition)
  • Boomerang Plus
  • Ridge Rider
  • Trail Tracker (Including Gorilla Edition)
  • Stretch (Including Dual Drive Edition)

What to do:

Step 1:

Stop using the product immediately.

Step 2:

Determine if your bike is affected. There are three determining factors: date of purchase, bike model, and cable type.

1. Date of Purchase
Check your proof of purchase or other records to determine the original date of purchase. Products purchased between January 2018 and August 2020 may be affected. Bikes not purchased during this time period are safe to use.

2. Bike Model

Check the model identified on the chain guard or chainstay of the bike. Please Click Here to see an image of where to locate this information. The following models may be affected: City Commuter (including Mid Drive Edition and Black Edition) , Interceptor (Including Platinum Edition), Boomerang, Stretch, Ridge Rider, Trail Tracker (including Gorilla Edition), Stretch (including Dua Drive Edition). Models not included on this list are safe to use.

3. Cable Type

If you purchased one of the models listed during the specified time period, check the cable junction found near the handlebars to determine if your bike is affected. Please Click Here to see an image of where to locate this information.

If you’re still unsure if your bike is affected, please visit Click Here to review product images or call 888-871-7115 for assistance.

Step 3:

If you’ve determined that your bike is affected, please visit www.pedegobikerecall.expertinquiry.com or call 888-871-7115 to file a claim You’ll be provided with a unique claim ID number. Please save or make a copy of your claim ID number as it will be required to make an appointment for the cable replacement.

Step 4:

Locate an authorized Pedego dealer at https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/dealers (or https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.ca/dealers for Canadian customers) and schedule an appointment to have the cable replaced free of charge. Your claim ID number will be required for an appointment. An appointment is required for the cable replacement.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause you. We know you are eager to start riding your Pedego again as soon as possible. Out of an abundance of caution, we believe this is the right thing to do, and we hope you understand.

Pedego Electic Bikes

11310 Slater Avenue

Fountain Valley, CA 92708

800-646-8604

Unsubscribe

I experienced this uncontrolled throttle activation last year on my Platinum Interceptor. Pretty scary! Luckily, I had my hand on the handlebar and was able to grab a brake lever which shut down the motor.

Pedego sent me a new wiring harness which I installed myself. Now I see the problem is severe enough to warrant a recall

I was just coming on here to post about this! We have five Pedegos in our family. Mine is the only one with this issue. I've had it back and forth to the dealer, and they couldn't fix it. They replaced the harness, and that didn't fix it either. It hasn't been a big problem, but it does speed up unbidden from time to time. I'm very glad to see this recall. It affects four of our five bikes, methinks, but tomorrow I will to take a look-see at the connectors.

The downside is that my son now thinks he can't ride his bike till it is fixed. :( He has black-and-white thinking. I hope to get his bike fixed first!!

You installed your new wiring harness yourself?? Wow! I'm curious--what part of the bike did that include? I'm assuming the connectors were unchanged in that process? As I said, my bike did get a harness replacement... (but it didn't fix the problem).

You installed your new wiring harness yourself?? Wow! I'm curious--what part of the bike did that include? I'm assuming the connectors were unchanged in that process? As I said, my bike did get a harness replacement... (but it didn't fix the problem).

The problem is in the throttle connector. It is a defect in the body of the Julet connector causing an intermittent open circuit condition in the ground lead which makes the motor go full throttle. Pedego sent me a new throttle and a replacement for the piece of the wiring harness that connects the throttle, display & brake cutouts with the large branch connector ( see pics).

P1080494a.jpg

This is what it looks like on the Platinum Interceptor.

P1080491a.jpg

The job took about half an hour and solved the problem temporarily. The only tool necessary is a small allen wrench to remove the throttle from the handlebar. Temporarily removing the spiral wrap from the cables is also necessary.

It is sometimes possible to duplicate the full throttle condition by gently twisting the throttle connector body with the display on and showing PAS 1 or higher. It is located in the harness about 8" from the throttle. BE SURE THE REAR WHEEL OF THE BIKE IS OFF THE GROUND BEFORE TRYING THIS!!

The first time I experienced the issue, Pedego sent me a new throttle. Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem. The second time, Pedego sent a new throttle and wiring harness as shown above. It appears the replacement Julet connector is still subject to the problem recurring. When the problem showed up a third time with the new throttle and wiring harness in place, I simply cut out the throttle connector and spliced the three wires together with solder and shrink wrap. I have almost 900 miles on the bike since the repair and the problem hasn't returned.

P1080495a.jpg

It should be noted that I have three identical Platinum Interceptors and this problem has occurred on just one. I also want to say that Pedego has been terrific in helping me solve this issue.

Last edited:
I just checked the connectors our four bikes. Mine, that has the same problem, has the Julet connector. The other three have the other recalled connector type.

Amy

I just checked the connectors our four bikes. Mine, that has the same problem, has the Julet connector. The other three have the other recalled connector type.

Amy

You're lucky to have a nearby Pedego dealer that can do the recall work. My dealer is over 3 hours away. I'm trying to get Pedego to send me the recall repair kits for my other two Interceptors so I can do the work myself. The parts they sent for my first bike were replacement Julet connectors which quickly failed again. It looks like the recall replaces the Julet connectors with another type. This should solve the problem.

A good friend has 2 of these bikes. Are there more members that were had same problem?
he’s worried about getting back on bike.

A good friend has 2 of these bikes. Are there more members that were had same problem?
he’s worried about getting back on bike.

This problem is not that common. I wouldn't let it keep you off your bike. I rode mine for quite some time before finally getting it fixed. If the motor does activate on it's own, the hand brake cutout will shut it off. As a precaution, turn the PAS to 0 or turn off the power when getting off the bike.

Why not just disconnect the throttle ? As simple as unplugging the Julet connector. Or is it (the defect) occurring upstream within the harness ? Now that WOULD be BAD.

In my case, the fault was on the harness (upstream) side of the Julet connector. Unplugging the throttle did not clear the problem. I suspect but can't be sure, this is the root cause for the recall.

The recall is voluntary but if you are not comfortable, then don't ride the bike and get it to a dealer. IMO the problem is not common and the bike can be used until service can be scheduled if proper caution is observed. Power up the bike after you're seated and ready to go. Power it off before you dismount. The hand brakes shut the motor down if it does start on it's own.

Last edited:
Some people may regard the use of the word “voluntary“ as optional and it is simply not. People are goofy enough on bikes already and this electric throttle surge could really hurt and inexperienced rider.

Since I live so far away from a dealer, Pedego was kind enough to send me the latest repair kit now being used in the recall. The original kit they sent didn't solve the problem. This is the link to a you tube video on how to do the harness change on an Interceptor:

Other videos are available for different models.

Some Pedego models also require a throttle replacement. This video shows how to do it on the Ridge Rider and Platinum Interceptor.

For someone with basic mechanical skills, the process is quite simple requiring few tools.

After a friend riding wife's same bike went over a curb and really hurt himself, she’s wanting to get rid of both And won’t let him ride.
Did your friend report the injury to Pedego? I just read a Bicycle Retailer article dated 9/24 that says "No injuries have resulted." Or was his incident not caused by runaway acceleration?

We just had our four Pedegos in for the recall repair. Easy peasy. I admire the company for doing a public recall and not a "silent" recall, which is what most companies do. It's expensive to do a recall. It's the right thing to do. Just like with my Toyotas, the recalls show me that this is a reliable company that is standing behind it's product.

I did have the unintended acceleration on my bike. My other family members did not experience this happening. In my case, it was not extreme, just annoying. No "runaway bike" situation. Note that it says that the problem *can* cause an unintended acceleration, not that it usually or always does so. Also, my bike that did have this problem, I only experienced it occasionally--in 4,000+ miles on the bike, maybe 20 times? Sometimes once a month, sometimes twice a month, sometimes not at all...

One challenge with ebikes is that riders often don't take the time to learn to ride them in a spacious and flat location. Most early falls relate to starting/stopping, or not being able to avoid obstacles in narrow places. And, Pedego markets to middle aged through elderly persons, who, if they haven't been riding a bike for some time, may be more likely to have injuries when ebiking if they don't take care.

I never had decades without cycling, but with my ebike I did accidentally grab the throttle when I didn't mean to. Surprise! It didn't knock me off my bike, but I see how it could cause someone to fall.

Sounds pretty serious to me.

"stop using the product immediately" relates to product liability, not to how common the accelleration is in affected bikes. To sign up for the recall, you tick a box that says you will not ride the bike till it is fixed. We did keep riding our bikes. But, it was clear to me that if we had a problem, then, it was our problem, because we didn't follow the instructions.

Meanwhile, in the time the bike was recalled and the time we got all four repairs, none of us experienced any cases of unintended acceleration. :)

The recall is voluntary ....
Of course in this case you are not forced to have your bike repaired, orange man is not sending his private police force out to get you, but it could affect your personal liability if you were to get into an accident as a result of this failure, and it could be shown you were aware of the recall.

The words "voluntary" and "voluntarily" in the recall notice refers to the company's willingness to issue the recall without have to be taken to court and either forced to do the recall, accept additional liability, or prove that a recall is not required (ie. they reach an agreement with the agency before having to go to court).

Of course in this case you are not forced to have your bike repaired, orange man is not sending his private police force out to get you, but it could affect your personal liability if you were to get into an accident as a result of this failure, and it could be shown you were aware of the recall.

The words "voluntary" and "voluntarily" in the recall notice refers to the company's willingness to issue the recall without have to be taken to court and either forced to do the recall, accept additional liability, or prove that a recall is not required (ie. they reach an agreement with the agency before having to go to court).

The term "voluntary" sends the wrong message. I wasn't trying to minimize the risk by pointing out the term used in the recall notice. Keep in mind however that of the many thousand bikes affected by this recall, there are only 6 reported incidents of runaway acceleration. Even considering unreported incidents, the risk is actually quite small. I have three affected bikes and only one has the problem. I'm watching the other two carefully but continue to ride them.

There is a way to check to see if your bike is prone to developing this issue. With the rear wheel off the ground and the display set to PAS 1 or higher, hold the throttle connector in one hand and wiggle the harness end with the other. The motor will engage sporadically if the defect is present. In my case, the problem didn't show until the bike had over 1000 miles on it.

Risk ”being small” is just reckless.

What If it was your spouse and she went head on full electric into oncoming traffic ?

Back