First 10,000 Kms on OHM's STEPS Ebike

Ken S

Just coming up on my first 10,000 kms on Ohm's new Shimano mid motor ebike, and I'm just as impressed as I was back in September when I traded up from Ohm's Bionx D500.
  • The range is pretty consistent at over 120 kms for my hilly commuting, plus weekend shopping/errands, -I know I'll see this range increase a bit when I do a few trips in the warmer weather and flatter terrain.
  • The motor hasn't missed a beat it's as smooth and quiet as it always has been, -I did have a ODO reset back in October, odd but hasn't reoccurred.
  • I do find that I use the gears more than I did with the hub drive, to get the most out of the "ride". This is really the right thing to do, -the Di2 electronic shifting really makes it easy. It's just as smooth and sharp as it has been.
    • I do like the idea of the variable speed transmissions and belt drive, but the chain/derailleur system is tried and proven and with the electronic shifting it works great and I can replace parts almost with my eyes closed.
  • Consumption of parts is much better than expected with the wear on the drive train and brake pads just as good as or in some cases less than the old hub motor setup, -this I did not expect. Tire wear is less as well. Pretty sure this is due to the bike weight being more balanced than the rear heavy hub motor.
  • I did some fiddling around with the assist levels early on but I've not touched things for a few months now. I'm ~90 % of the time in ECO mode (mid setting), 8% off, and maybe 2% TRAIL (low setting). I've only used BOOST a couple of times from the start just to see it fly!
  • I sometimes wish for more granularity and or more assist levels but in the end I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. I get where I'm going with a smile on my face, and get bit of a workout without messing up my new hip.
  • Mud flaps have been a good addition in the rainy weather, keeps the grit down.
On my way to another "round the world".

Looking forward to seeing ho

Which model did you get, the Discover with the E6100 or Quest E7000/8000? 120km/charge sounds better than what OHM reports for the Quest, with it pegged at 100km.

I'm guessing I'll be riding mostly in ECO mode so this number sounds really encouraging for the Quest (and imagine the E6100 range would be even better).

OHM is on my shortlist but I'm debating between the two (and a couple of Bosch based bikes).

It's the Quest.
Some of the information on Ohm site says 100 km and other information is 170 kms, like any range value it really depends on terrain, average speed, head or tail wind, load, tire pressure, temp, ya I can go on ;-).
Heck I had over 110 kms on one trip on my old D500 and still had some left. The Shimano/mid motor efficiency, which surprised me, is ~ 30 % more efficient based on what I have experienced. I miss the regen but that added very little and increased the rolling resistance considerably under off condition.

OHM's has supported me for more than 4+ years now, i'm looking forward to another 4 (and hopefully more) and my 70th.

Thanks. Everything I've read suggested the E7000/8000 didn't have nearly the range of the 6100 (which is where I've seen the 170ish km number).

With those kinds of numbers on the Quest, I might have to re-think my shortlist!

Any time.

Hard to go wrong with the reliability that this system provides, I've gone through about 5 hub motors over the years, 3 geared hubs and 2 of the Bionx D500's. The Shimano is looking and feeling like it will get me to the 40,000 without any problem.

Cheers

Thinking of buying a Cruise with the E6100 or Quest E7000. I Prefer the step through Cruise but I live in a hilly area and am concerned that the lesser NM may not be enough to get around for a 50 - 60 k ride and then home up a long steep road.
Plan to ride mostly urban but include dirt/gravel trails as well. No suspension in the front fork either. Concerning?

Any time.

Hard to go wrong with the reliability that this system provides, I've gone through about 5 hub motors over the years, 3 geared hubs and 2 of the Bionx D500's. The Shimano is looking and feeling like it will get me to the 40,000 without any problem.

Cheers
Ken how does the E7000 handle hills? Currently ride up numerous big hills with my hub motor. But I am thinking of getting a Quest. This will be my first mid-drive.

Hit and passed the 15,000 km the other day in just over 11 months and all is going well. Performance, efficiency, and reliability have all been superior to any of the hub motors I've had over the years.

Hit and passed the 15,000 km the other day in just over 11 months and all is going well. Performance, efficiency, and reliability have all been superior to any of the hub motors I've had over the years.
Do these new oHM mid drives have throttles?

I really don't miss the throttle or the regeneration of the old hub motor(s) I've had. The rolling resistance is 0 with the mid motor unlike hub motors, and there plenty of "juice" left in these >65 year old legs especially with assist that cuts in without out hesitation.

Back