33 lb Carbon Opti

I love the look of this bike, it just needs some Schwabe marathon plus for my uses ;) . To bad its outside my budget. At 33 pounds it should be a breeze to ride with zero assist to conserve battery.

I think more bikes like this are needed to entice the US market.

Since most cyclist in the US are fitness/pleasure riders (not commuters), nice sleek light bikes might be more attractive. Many early adopters in the USA are surely commuter, but the broader market is not. I think a move toward the stealthy lighter fitness/pleasure type bikes is what will entice that broader market.

Maybe this is just my bias opinion as a fitness cyclist :D

Lee

"Many early adopters in the USA are surely commuter, but..."

As a commuter, I agree, but I don't think you need any "buts". Commuters like nice, pretty things too. If fitness / pleasure riders want them too, great, though from the prevailing attitudes expressed toward e-bikes on non-electric forums, it's easy to conclude that most of the fitness/pleasure riders prefer pedal only.

Bike looks nice.

as for comments about what kind of bike will entice the US market: I've heard it repeated over and over. The foundation of the problem is that we do not have the right infrastructure to ride bikes and this is not enticing the US market. We need to lobby lobby lobby to demand better infrastructure. Every town should be connected with walk/bike paths. Put people to work.

Bike looks nice.

...better infrastructure.

Couldn't agree more on both counts! It's a beautiful bike, but I'd love to see it rendered in aluminum with a carbon belt drive + IGH, and 1kWh battery (+rack and fenders, of course). I think this is prettier than the SIMBB and All Road, and while I respect the integration of the battery on the SIMBB, a removable battery for charging at work is a sad necessity for my long commute.

I totally agree on the need to lobby for bike infrastructure. Separate, real, safe infrastructure, even precluding peds. Great investment in the present and future of this country. Unfortunately, I'm pessimistic that this is a "build it and they will come" argument, and I don't think most people will get out of their cars without some very big upheaval of the status quo (like $10/gal gas or massive costs associated with congestion, parking, etc)

Back