33 lb Carbon Opti

I feel bad that Opti has plunged so low. They just put a nice Optibike sticker on it. Look at the link and attached images carefully. [Intelligent display] {rolls eyes}.....
This is a generic carbon electric bike that can be purchased for $3500 and if you purchase 10 or more, you can get it for $2900.

Opti 1.JPG Opti 2.JPG Opti 3.JPG

I feel bad that Opti has plunged so low. They just put a nice Optibike sticker on it. Look at the link and attached images carefully. [Intelligent display] {rolls eyes}.....
This is a generic carbon electric bike that can be purchased for $3500 and if you purchase 10 or more, you can get it for $2900.

View attachment 4926 View attachment 4927 View attachment 4928
Why feel bad for Optibike? Maybe they just got exclusive distributorship of the bikes in the US. What's wrong with OEM'ing a bike and supporting it well afterwards?

Is it possible that Optibike designed the bike and then the manufacturer started selling it under their own brand also?

We do sort of have exclusive distribution of all the Pioneer bikes in the US, as the Pioneer MBB uses a lot of our designs and patents.

The reason we are selling these Carbon bikes is because we think they are great bikes, they are pretty unique being 33lbs with a mid drive, and we do a lot of quality control to make sure the customer gets a bike that works great and doesn't have any issues or defects. They also come with our great warranty in case there are any problems down the road.

Also, that video is of the first sample we got, the new one that we will be selling and are taking pre-orders on has a more adequately sized 11.6ah battery

Last edited:
Opti-Austen,

So how much of this bike has original Optibike design /patent application?

People may disagree, but if Opti is importing bikes with motors built from their patent and licensed to the company, I am ok with that business model. It is still primarily their design. They are also supporting the warranty. Folks should still consider the overall quality of the bike. That said, Optibike is still one of the few companies that offer American made ebikes (frame, motors/controller, battery bms design/maybe battery too)

Thanks for the feedback.

We do sort of have exclusive distribution of all the Pioneer bikes
Not trying to be confrontational but anyone can use the link I posted and order these bikes. Just try it out. Request for a quote.

What's wrong with OEM'ing a bike and supporting it well afterwards?
There is nothing wrong about it. I would have appreciated if they had designed the frame and drive systems [there is no proof of their patents] ... Anyone who has worked in some kind of industry knows that 'Patent Pending' is a term that is used very loosely. If the patent is issued, then put it out right?
If Opti has patented and exclusive rights, how come anyone can order a container of those bikes?

Not trying to be confrontational but anyone can use the link I posted and order these bikes. Just try it out. Request for a quote.

We have patents on the MBB design, but unless we actually go out and do something about it, which we haven't, yet, there is nothing stopping other companies from selling them in the US. Being a small company like Optibike is, we just don't have a lot of time and resources to spend on things like this.

Quick Google search yielded: http://www.google.com/patents/US6629574 . Filed 2001, published/granted 2003.. seems like the last maintenance payment lapsed, but it can be revived within 2 yrs if lapse was unintentional.

Seems to me other MBB designs,i.e. Bosch, Shimano, tried to get around one aspect of the patent"... a motor that is coaxially disposed about the spindle". Maybe that's why their designs are larger than necessary.

Quick Google search yielded: http://www.google.com/patents/US6629574 . Filed 2001, published/granted 2003.. seems like the last maintenance payment lapsed, but it can be revived within 2 yrs if lapse was unintentional.

Seems to me other MBB designs,i.e. Bosch, Shimano, tried to get around one aspect of the patent"... a motor that is coaxially disposed about the spindle". Maybe that's why their designs are larger than necessary.

Allroad,

From my understanding and research, the Opti MBB is indeed a different design than a Bosch, Yamaha, Impulse, Panasonic and these are larger because reduction gearing requires a physical offset from the motor axis. MBB windings "surround" the axel, spin around 2400rpms, and step down via planetary to the 80-90 rpm range. Bosch like mid drive motors also step down their rpms. I think their rpm rate is lower.

Which is better? The higher rpm of the MBB makes it smaller, and again smaller with the direct planetary gears. The Opti MBB power density, running higher watts (700-1100W) in a smaller volume, shows higher performance than the standard 350W mid drives.

@Bike_On pretty much nailed it with the differences of the Optibike MBB vs. the competition.

Here's a few pictures of the old style Carbon bike with the smaller battery and a specs sheet for the new one.

Its amazing how light this bike is, you can pick it up and carry it around like a normal bike, you hardly notice its electric. Its also extremely ridged because of the large diameter frame, its hard to notice any flex even when standing and sprinting.

lgg6Zyb.jpg

gULMFoP.jpg

4SW34MV.jpg

I wish that bike came with brazons to support a rear rack for panniers. I don't like the seat post racks. I was already to preorder the bike but then decided to go with the Specialized Turbo S.

Back