2wd delta trike

Hugh

Here's a picture of my latest build, a 2wd delta trike. Pedal power is routed from the crank thru a jackshaft to the left side. The right rear wheel has a 500 watt Bafang geared hub motor. It uses a 17.5 AH 48 volt battery. Using power level 1 and pedaling speed ranges around 17 kph or just a little over 10 mph. Range runs about 30 plus miles It has 26" wheels all around. I gave it a coroplast roof and partial lexan windscreen. The top is removeable, that takes about 15 minutes. It is tippy so no off camber maneuvers or fast cornering. Where it excells is comfortable cruising.

How did you hang motor on right side?Theres a lot to like on your build and it looks great.
Did you use the handle bar clamps to make front of subframe?( I really like this build)

Here's a picture of my latest build, a 2wd delta trike. Pedal power is routed from the crank thru a jackshaft to the left side. The right rear wheel has a 500 watt Bafang geared hub motor. It uses a 17.5 AH 48 volt battery. Using power level 1 and pedaling speed ranges around 17 kph or just a little over 10 mph. Range runs about 30 plus miles It has 26" wheels all around. I gave it a coroplast roof and partial lexan windscreen. The top is removeable, that takes about 15 minutes. It is tippy so no off camber maneuvers or fast cornering. Where it excells is comfortable cruising.
Looks like a civilized means of transportation. Now all we need is a civilized infrastructure to go with it.

Well I ran into a couple issues. No details but I managed to tip the trike over at almost a standstill, no damage to the trike just embarrasement to me. Worse was the geared hub motor was not built properly by the factory in China, most of the spokes are loose. So I've ordered a direct drive hub motor from a reputable dealer here in Canada. Once it arrives it will get installed and then I will look into some proper spokes for the geared hub and try my hand at replacing spokes and truing a wheel. To kmccune 2 old steel mountain bikes were harvested for the rear triangles. A square tube was inserted thru the bottom bracket tubes and then welded up. The motor and the upcoming motor are both rear motors of the screw on freewheel type. No gears were placed on the motor. This works because hub motors are triggered by a pas system which is just a disc with magnets placed on the left side crank. A sensor is zip tied to the bottom bracket and it acts as a trigger (sensor) for the motor. So I pedal the left side rear wheel, and by turning the cranks the hub motor is triggered and it powers the right wheel. The motor that is coming is a direct drive, no gears so it needs to have power flowing to it to prevent whats called cogging which is just the drag from the magnets when its unpowered. One small bonus is the direct drive offers regenerative power when braking or going downhill.

Well I ran into a couple issues. No details but I managed to tip the trike over at almost a standstill, no damage to the trike just embarrasement to me. Worse was the geared hub motor was not built properly by the factory in China, most of the spokes are loose. So I've ordered a direct drive hub motor from a reputable dealer here in Canada. Once it arrives it will get installed and then I will look into some proper spokes for the geared hub and try my hand at replacing spokes and truing a wheel. To kmccune 2 old steel mountain bikes were harvested for the rear triangles. A square tube was inserted thru the bottom bracket tubes and then welded up. The motor and the upcoming motor are both rear motors of the screw on freewheel type. No gears were placed on the motor. This works because hub motors are triggered by a pas system which is just a disc with magnets placed on the left side crank. A sensor is zip tied to the bottom bracket and it acts as a trigger (sensor) for the motor. So I pedal the left side rear wheel, and by turning the cranks the hub motor is triggered and it powers the right wheel. The motor that is coming is a direct drive, no gears so it needs to have power flowing to it to prevent whats called cogging which is just the drag from the magnets when its unpowered. One small bonus is the direct drive offers regenerative power when braking or going downhill.
Really like that, did you use a "Grin" motor( would use it exclusively if I could afford)? Had a wild idea about using the steering tube and front droputs{I forgot about the angle}Actually on a "Delta build" because the weight savings do not have the same importance, I wanted to use 'Mag Wheels", didn't know where to find them though. Good luck and please keep us posted( I am going to "wuss out and probably buy a "Buzz " Trike- maybe add may 500 watt DD front-wheel later, already have an 18 Ah 36 volt seat tube battery.)
Just got the 'Yamee" back together yesterday , trying to sale or trade.

Did not use a Grin motor for a couple reasons, they are expensive and even though they have quite a selection when you go to the site a lot of their stuff is "out of stock". So I ordered from a Canadian supplier called Golden Motor and am waiting for a Magic Pie 1000 watt with external controller. I have used them before and was satisfied with the sales/service received. Once it arrives I will install and test it. If necessary it can be programmed to a lower power level, I would like to keep it nice and legal. The trike is more of a cruiser than a speed machine and I have no desire to get in any speed related accident.

For now I'm riding a 1 wheel drive delta which uses 20" wheels. Homemade of course. It was equipped with a Tongsheng torque sensing mid drive motor but I,m in the process of changing it to a Bafang BBS02. I will lose the torque sensing feature but I'm OK with that. The Bafang feels more powerful and as an added bonus is equipped with a Lekkie narrow wide bling ring 52 tooth chainring. It's an 8 speed and coupled with the 20" wheels the speed with the tongsheng with it's 44 tooth chainring was limited to around 20 kph. The hope is the BBS02 will be just a little faster. This delta is long and low so speed is safer then the 2wd trike.

Back