Winter Trail Riding Freego DK200 Adventure Ebike

Solarcabin

Region
USA
EBR does not have a place for Freego ebikes so I will post a short review here for anyone curious about this new Adventure scrambler style Freego ebike.

I got this Freego DK200 1200 Watt Adventure Ebike from Ebay and have been riding it a lot for the last few weeks and it has been my go to ebike for winter riding. I love the all terrain 20x4 fat tires and feel very safe even at 20+mph on snowy streets and trails. Ebike has good speed and is class 3 or unlimited if you want to set it higher. You can see in the vid I was doing 28+ and verified it with my GPS app. I have the amps set to 12amp and can be set higher to 20 amp for off road riding. Code to enter parameters is 2020.

Freego has been around and making scooters since 2009 and the ebike is well made with solid construction and they were very quick to help with a battery damaged in shipping and setting up the ebike for higher speeds which requires a code over ride. Ebike has hydraulic brakes, 180mm disks, single speed and basic front fork suspension. Motorcycle grade foam seat is comfortable. Integrated bright headlight and tail light. 48 volt 20 Ah battery for long range and power.

I like the torque and power and I have an AOSOM trailer and sled I pull with the ebike and can haul my adventure dog Tazaroo no problem. I have not done a long range test yet but from my calculations I should get 30 miles on PAS5 and farther with lower PAS setting. Enough for me to do supply runs to town and back on a full charge.

It is not the most comfortable bike for long distance because the lower handle bars makes you lean forward but you need that for more control for trail riding so it is a compromise.

I will be doing more reviews of this ebike but hopefully that helps anyone considering these ebikes.

Freego DK200 ebike is available on Ebay and I am not associated with the company: www.FreegoUSA.com

Last edited:
I have a hard time calling these type of e two wheelers eBikes. Although they have pedals with PAS they are stretching the legalities by having motors powerful enough to achieve speeds easily beyond 20mph with throttles so definitely not within the Class 3 category either.

Not a problem in the remotish type area the OP rides obviously but as they work their way into the more populated bike lanes and MUP's they have the potential to muddy the waters of acceptance of all eBikes.

I have a hard time calling these type of e two wheelers eBikes. Although they have pedals with PAS they are stretching the legalities by having motors powerful enough to achieve speeds easily beyond 20mph with throttles so definitely not within the Class 3 category either.

Not a problem in the remotish type area the OP rides obviously but as they work their way into the more populated bike lanes and MUP's they have the potential to muddy the waters of acceptance of all eBikes.
Well, it is an ebike that can be set to class1,2,3 or unlimited for off road.

It leaves that decision up to the rider and like you said where I live it is nice to have that option. I primarily ride on remote country roads in class 3 and using PAS 5 but if I also go off road I want that torque and speed set to unlimited for bursts. In town I usually drop down to PAS 3 which will keep the bike at 20mph and I am not breaking any laws or upsetting pedestrians.

In my neck of the woods if you are on a country road and can't move fast enough to get out of the way of trucks you would be risking your life.

Just a warning, riding at 20mph on frozen precipitation is fun, until it ain't. I broke a collarbone on black ice in 2018 on a fat bike. That is absolutely no fun! The law was not written so the rider can change his machine to any of the 3 classes to make it legal when you choose. To be legal it has to have a sticker on the frame stating what class of eBike it is. There is not an option in the law for all 3. And all that is beside the point as nothing about 750w is legal anyway. A major percentage of riders on eBike reddit riding illegal machines, that is your place to go. In my opinion we don't need illegal mini bikes, made by scooter manufacturers, here.

Last edited:
Just a warning, riding at 20mph on frozen precipitation is fun, until it ain't. I broke a collarbone on black ice in 2018 on a fat bike. That is absolutely no fun! The law was not written so the rider can change his machine to any of the 3 classes to make it legal when you choose. To be legal it has to have a sticker on the frame stating what class of eBike it is. There is not an option in the law for all 3. And all that is beside the point as nothing about 750w is legal anyway. A major percentage of riders on eBike reddit riding illegal machines, that is your place to go. In my opinion we don't need illegal mini bikes, made by scooter manufacturers, here.
Well, you are entitled to your opinion but the forum has many members that ride many different ebike styles and EBR has reviewed many of them.

Different strokes for different folks.

I also ride a Cybertrack100 350 watt and a Rattan 750 watt foldable.

Happy New Year!

The law was not written so the rider can change his machine to any of the 3 classes to make it legal when you choose. To be legal it has to have a sticker on the frame stating what class of eBike it is. There is not an option in the law for all 3.
Glad you cleared that up. "The Law" was written.... You know, "The Law," that one law with the power to rule all others.... WTF are you talking about? Do you have any ideas how many laws, rules or regulations there are regarding ebikes depending upon exactly where you're riding in this country?

There is nothing in Federal law that prohibits modifying an ebike. Certainly states can make their own, and some have. The state in which I am currently sitting (Washington) has done this:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienn... Laws/Senate/6434-S.SL.pdf?cite=2018 c 60 § 1

2) A person shall not tamper with or modify an electric-assisted bicycle, as defined in RCW 46.04.169, so as to change the speed capability of the electric-assisted bicycle, unless the label in subsection (1)(a) of this section is appropriately replaced.

You can make the bike whatever class you want, the only requirement is that you slap the correct sticker on in when you're done. Every state could be different, I checked California's (to fact check a video by Bolton Ebikes) and it is the same.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead on the style of bike posted by the OP. But I don't make the mistake of thinking my personal tastes somehow carry the power of law.

Quality Ebikes are very expensive. Many can justify this expense based upon how versatile a tool it is for many different uses. Being able to change the class of a bike and follow the letter of the law no matter where you're riding makes a bike more versatile and should be encouraged, not met with scorn. (In my opinion of course, I won't send the Feds after you if you disagree.)

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead on the style of bike posted by the OP. But I don't make the mistake of thinking my personal tastes somehow carry the power of law.
Have you tried a scrambler style ebike and do you ride off road trails at all?

I ride a lot rutted trail, washboard roads and snow packed trails and haul a trailer and large dog for my adventure videos and any other style of ebike would be very difficult and dangerous to ride in those conditions.

What is your ebike?

Tazaroo Adventure Dog.PNG

How long did it take Tassie to get acclimated into riding in the trailer? What were the tricks in keeping her in?
She jumped out a couple of times at first so I used a short leash in the trailer and went slow. Once she realized we were going to her favorite place to walk and hunt she stayed in and has never jumped out since.

I put her dog bed with an extra thick pillow in the trailer and she jumps in as soon as I put the bed in now and no leash needed.

AOSOM is sending me a new trailer designed for dogs that is enclosed for more protection in winter and I will do a review of that when it comes.

Attachments

• Tazaroo Trailer.jpg
    Tazaroo Trailer.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Have you tried a scrambler style ebike and do you ride off road trails at all?

I ride a lot rutted trail, washboard roads and snow packed trails and haul a trailer and large dog for my adventure videos and any other style of ebike would be very difficult and dangerous to ride in those conditions.

What is your ebike?

View attachment 110454
Yes what ebike do you ride after bashing that guy about his ride. To say you would be caught dead on a bike like his, really
Geez man! And the laws. I ride in DC and out in the wood. No one ask me if my bikes are legal. I even talk to the cops in different areas asking about what legal.
You know what they all say. " I dont mind what you ride as long as your not creating issues." That is always basically the same answer from the Capital Police, US Park police, Fairfax, Arlington and Prince William, Alexandria just doesn't want you on the sidewalks but then again who stops for cops when your on an ebike.
Im not stopping even for a ebiking cop.
If he is legal he will never catch me unless I let him and that isnt very likely here my friend not even considing stopping for anyone unless your some hot naked chick.
Lol

Have you tried a scrambler style ebike
Nope.
do you ride off road trails at all?
Yup. Offroad where there are no trails as well.

What is your ebike?
E06.

BTW, I didn't mean for my tongue and cheek comment to come off as insulting, I should have included a smiley face. My point was that despite not liking that type of bike, I was on your side anyway and standing up for it. Many in the eMTB community (don't even ask about the MTB community in the US) would like to see them banned. I disagree. I don't believe in banning things I don't like. If you're following all the rules and treating other trail users with respect, I feel I have no right to tell you what to ride. Unfortunately, that seems to be a minority viewpoint these days on many levels.

Back