Trail / Step Through FLX questions

iamjcl

A few questions for owners of the newest (current) FLX bikes (G3? F3? Not sure what the nomenclature on these bikes is...)

1- Are the "FLX" letters and the website address on the bike stickers (removable) or painted on?

2- Do the bikes have brake lever motor cut-out switches (when you squeeze either brake the motor cuts power) ?

3- Seems like an issue with these bikes could be the motor chewing up cassettes / cogs and or chains - is this still an issue on the newest bikes? Is this just under hard riding conditions maybe?

4- These bikes seem much lighter than most others - are the website weights accurate?

5- Is there any other Bafang display which can be used instead of the little (likely unreadable to me) one they put on the Trail or Step Through?

6- I know the Bafang Ultra motor controllers / displays can be programmed extensively through a program out there on the interwebs and a USB hookup. Is this also the case with the M600 and its displays?

Thanks for any help or links to resources on FLX bikes.

I'd reached out to FLX with a few questions and thought I'd post their response here:
----------
Thank you for reaching out to FLX! Sorry we missed you on chat.
The M600 motors are equipped with the metal gears and do not have a brake sensor.
You must be going at least 6mph before the throttle will engage, everything on the Trail and Step-Through is pretty much the same, including the motor, LCD screen, shifters, gearing etc. The brakes are different though.
----------

I'd asked about brake motor cut out, so that what is meant by "brake sensor".

I thought that was a standard feature on ebikes but noticed no wiring coming from the brake actuators, only the hydraulic lines, so asked the question.

So there are some folks here that say the throttle works from a stop, but here FLX themselves state that is not the case...

Brake sensors are the motor cuttoffs. These are totally not needed on a torque sensor equipped motors like the m600 as there is no motor shut off delay when you stop pedaling like with a cadence sensor.
The bikes have a gear sensor so you can just keep pedaling while shifting or even with throttle applied. I think that 6 mile per hour before throttle engagement may be old info?

A few questions for owners of the newest (current) FLX bikes (G3? F3? Not sure what the nomenclature on these bikes is...)

1- Are the "FLX" letters and the website address on the bike stickers (removable) or painted on?

2- Do the bikes have brake lever motor cut-out switches (when you squeeze either brake the motor cuts power) ?

3- Seems like an issue with these bikes could be the motor chewing up cassettes / cogs and or chains - is this still an issue on the newest bikes? Is this just under hard riding conditions maybe?

4- These bikes seem much lighter than most others - are the website weights accurate?

5- Is there any other Bafang display which can be used instead of the little (likely unreadable to me) one they put on the Trail or Step Through?

6- I know the Bafang Ultra motor controllers / displays can be programmed extensively through a program out there on the interwebs and a USB hookup. Is this also the case with the M600 and its displays?

Thanks for any help or links to resources on FLX bikes.
I would avoid this company. They do not stand behind or support their products. I took delivery of a step thru this week. The motor is VERY noisy.
I called them, sent videos. They told ME that I needed to open up the NEW motor, grease it up, put it back together. Told me it was “basic” maintenance I needed to do. Said they would send a video-never did. They refuse to take the bike back, replace it, fix it, or refund my money.
I would NEVER do business with this company. Wish I had done more research before buying. All I can do now is try to help others avoid my mistake.

I would avoid this company. They do not stand behind or support their products. I took delivery of a step thru this week. The motor is VERY noisy.
I called them, sent videos. They told ME that I needed to open up the NEW motor, grease it up, put it back together. Told me it was “basic” maintenance I needed to do. Said they would send a video-never did. They refuse to take the bike back, replace it, fix it, or refund my money.
I would NEVER do business with this company. Wish I had done more research before buying. All I can do now is try to help others avoid my mistake.

Thank you for taking the time to post this - definitely good to know. Don't think I want to get involved with this company...

I do hope you get your motor noise issue resolved - please post if so.

Thank you for taking the time to post this - definitely good to know. Don't think I want to get involved with this company...

I do hope you get your motor noise issue resolved - please post if so.
I certainly will. I am sending FLX a certified letter today. Depending on how they respond (or not) I am filing a complaint with my credit card company.

I hope they step up to help you
Time will tell. I had to get my credit card company to get involved and reverse the charge.
I believe this motor is defective and I am not buying a bunch of tools to open up and service a brand new motor that will likely fail again. They need to take the bike back and send it back to their manufacturer.

I certainly will post how this all shakes out.
NO progress. FLX is adamant that my super noisy motor is not “defective.” I have several videos I took with my phone-wish I was able to upload to this forum so others could hear and judge, defective or not. It gets even better. I have sent certified mail requests for warranty return authorization. They lie and say this is not a warranty issue. If somehow I get permission to ship the bike back, it has to be done by a Certified HazMat shipper. Cost will be between $200-300.
They said if the bike comes back for any reason, there will also be a re-stocking charge!!
I have checked with several bike shops about opening up a brand new motor to “fix” the noise problem. They all tell me the same thing-NO! Don’t do it under any circumstances.
I didn’t plan to do that, anyway.
My credit card company is supposed to be “disputing” the charges, but nothing has come from that, either. What a nasty problem I am having with FLX Bikes.

It seems, after looking/listening to the video they want you to open the motor, they are admitting your new bike is defective. Otherwise what is the reason for opening the motor? Prima facie case that they need to remedy the situation under warranty. Just keep on keeping on. Your credit card company will probably force the issue if FLX doesn't make things right.

NO progress. FLX is adamant that my super noisy motor is not “defective.” I have several videos I took with my phone-wish I was able to upload to this forum so others could hear and judge, defective or not. It gets even better. I have sent certified mail requests for warranty return authorization. They lie and say this is not a warranty issue. If somehow I get permission to ship the bike back, it has to be done by a Certified HazMat shipper. Cost will be between $200-300.
They said if the bike comes back for any reason, there will also be a re-stocking charge!!
I have checked with several bike shops about opening up a brand new motor to “fix” the noise problem. They all tell me the same thing-NO! Don’t do it under any circumstances.
I didn’t plan to do that, anyway.
My credit card company is supposed to be “disputing” the charges, but nothing has come from that, either. What a nasty problem I am having with FLX Bikes.
I'm having a somewhat similar experience with Wing Bikes. Like you, I requested a return and have provided photos and video as evidence that the bike is packaged properly and I am within their return window for requesting a return and still have not received a return authorization.
I just went to FLX's website and they don't even offer a return on their items, which is very restrictive. Also, you shouldn't have to fix a new bike that is unacceptable on arrival.

I would've sent certified mail requesting a return but Wing Bikes doesn't even have an address listed on their website.

Please let us know your experience with this return. I'm beginning to think that some of these companies have the same playbook and putting the onus on the customer to prove that their product is defective in order to delay or deny the customer the ability to return a product.

I'm having a somewhat similar experience with Wing Bikes. Like you, I requested a return and have provided photos and video as evidence that the bike is packaged properly and I am within their return window for requesting a return and still have not received a return authorization.
I just went to FLX's website and they don't even offer a return on their items, which is very restrictive. Also, you shouldn't have to fix a new bike that is unacceptable on arrival.

I would've sent certified mail requesting a return but Wing Bikes doesn't even have an address listed on their website.

Please let us know your experience with this return. I'm beginning to think that some of these companies have the same playbook and putting the onus on the customer to prove that their product is defective in order to delay or deny the customer the ability to return a product.

Good to know about Wing Bikes. I haven’t heard of them, but they will not be on my list of bikes to research, once I get the FLX mess behind me.
By the way, FLX’s terms say they don’t accept returns for “change of mind.” I did not change my mind-I would accept a bike that works properly out of the box, in exchange for the dud they sent me. Otherwise, I want to ship it back for a full refund. I don’t see where that is so difficult for FLX.

I feel bad you are having problems Carol K. Does your bike work properly except for the noise. I will say this. The first thing I will do when I get my step thru is to remove the case cover and make sure the gear housing is packed with grease and then see if a grease nipple can be installed for future maintenance. I have done this to all my bbs02 and Hd motors I have owned. Bafang has a habit of not properly packing the gear case. The installation of a grease nipple makes future maintenance a breeze. Removing the cover to grease does Not Void Warranty!!!

Good info to have Scotty, is this easy to do on the M600 and the ultra motor?

Do you have videos or pictures of that?

Good info to have Scotty, is this easy to do on the M600 and the ultra motor?

Do you have videos or pictures of that?
Lol. Don't know yet on the m600. Have not got the bike yet. Was pretty easy and straight forward on the bbs02 and bbshd. Do a Google search. I believe there is a video out there of greasing the gear case on m600 and also the ultra max 1000!!

Back