Propella Owners: Would you buy again or a different ebike?

patrizioeb

I'm just starting to learn about ebikes and am leaning toward buying a Propella mainly due to their light weight.

If you had to do it all over again, would you buy a Propella?

If not, why not?

If not, what bike would you buy and why?

Thanks!

I would probably buy again. I have the 2.0 model, and I've done some upgrades to make it like a 2.2 (upgraded the brakes, upgraded to 32mm tires). My only issue is that I wish the frame were a bit bigger. But I really appreciate the light weight and the clean design. My only real hesitation on buying another would be the waiting time. So if my 2.0 were to be stolen or whatever, I wouldn't want to wait months for a new one. But there are very few ebikes around that are as light as the Propella, so hopefully I won't be forced to choose anytime soon.

here’s a picture of my 3.0
customize, one addition was that I did add a dirtbike mudflap where the bottle water bottle attachments are underneath the battery, so far a love bike like how I can ride without using the motor actually put 200 miles on before I recharged and that was to top it off

Attachments

• 959E48E5-8EDF-418D-A93E-26B51D877F93.jpeg
    959E48E5-8EDF-418D-A93E-26B51D877F93.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 951
I would probably buy again. I have the 2.0 model, and I've done some upgrades to make it like a 2.2 (upgraded the brakes, upgraded to 32mm tires). My only issue is that I wish the frame were a bit bigger. But I really appreciate the light weight and the clean design. My only real hesitation on buying another would be the waiting time. So if my 2.0 were to be stolen or whatever, I wouldn't want to wait months for a new one. But there are very few ebikes around that are as light as the Propella, so hopefully I won't be forced to choose anytime soon.
Thanks for the reply. (Sorry it took me so long to reply... I just noticed your reply.)

here’s a picture of my 3.0
customize, one addition was that I did add a dirtbike mudflap where the bottle water bottle attachments are underneath the battery, so far a love bike like how I can ride without using the motor actually put 200 miles on before I recharged and that was to top it off
Thanks for the info. I must be blind but I do not see where you put the mudflap. Glad to hear you love your bike and the fact that you can ride it without having to use the motor.

Thanks for the info. I must be blind but I do not see where you put the mudflap. Glad to hear you love your bike and the fact that you can ride it without having to use the motor.
It’s not in that photo I added it later but it goes as I stated where the water bottle goes

I live in an industrial neighborhood of south Seattle and the road conditions have led to so many flats with this bike that I needed to put an airless tire on the rear to make it reliable to ride in this area. The V2.2 frame size just doesn't fit my body. Really have tried to love this bike, but unless Propella starts offering a large frame, I would not consider buying again. The #1 best feature of this bike is its low weight. When I encounter a long set of stairs, I'm glad to be riding a Propella.

I have a Propella 3.4, 7-speed, and would definitely buy again. The bike looks great, performs well with and without the motor assistance, the frame and components are high quality, and its easy to work on. I love it.

Here is the detailed review on EBR with a nice summary of the pros and cons. ;)

Summary
  • A handsome and sleek yet agile, lightweight, and affordable road ebike continually upgraded and revised via Propella’s crowd funding campaign
  • Reliable Bafang 250 watt hub-drive with 7 speed Shimano Altus system and Shimano Tourney TX 160mm rotor mechanical disc brakes
  • Features a revised battery housing and mounting system from previous versions as well as a newer front fork and head tube with sealed cartridge bearings
  • Built more for active riders so comfort is not abundant, battery is on the smaller side, for these reasons, you may not want to use it for a super long distance trip

I have put about 60 miles on my single speed. So far it is great. It is my first electric bike and it fits me like my Trek. I also have an old ten speed with no suspension. The Propella feels a little better than that on rough surfaces because of the wider tires. I have ridden it for an hour and half and not been too uncomfortable.
I like the light weight. Not many bikes in this weight class less than $1500. It meets my limited needs for light weight, electric, ride quality, and simplicity. I would by it again. If you don’t care about weight the Rad Mission would be a more comfortable alternative.

finally had a chance to do a 20km ride on the propella 3.4. for what it cost me (the single speed version), i am quite pleased with what it brings. a no frills e-bike to get from point a to point.

but given that i have mid motor bikes as well within my fleet of bikes, i will say that the mid motor bikes i have feel more natural and bike-like. of course, those bike cost way way more than the propella so im not going to take points away from the propella. the weight of the bike is something new to me as well as it is very light compared to other e-bikes i currently own.

would i buy it again? yes, if im looking for a casual bike to do light errands with. the price point, i believe, is Propella's greatest strength. the second would be its looks as it really does look like a regular like frame-wise.
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-26 at 7.26.19 PM.jpeg

Back