EV Global Mini ebike battery replacement

JimC

Hi guys, I have an EV Global mini that uses a 24 volt battery pack. Does anyone know if I convert it to lithium ion? If so, I'm curious about how much that would cost and where to get the parts etc.

Thanks!

Hey Jim! Welcome to the forum. I'm not super familiar with battery repair and conversion but I'd love to help you figure this out. Moving to Lithium batteries makes sense, they will last longer and be much lighter than the sealed Lead acid batteries that came stock.

I found some good information over at Endless Sphere here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29334 It sounds like other people have converted them successfully. I'll keep digging, hope this helps you get started at least a little bit :)

Hey Jim, a friend named Kit Babcock just replied on the video review I shot for an ebike by EV Global and included tips on updating the battery pack. Here's what he wrote, hope this helps you!

Court…don't waste your time or money on SLA…go to Hobbyking.com & purchase one Zippy lithium or one NanoTech 22.2v/8ah & one Zippy or NanoTech 18.5v/8ah battery. Series connect the positive of one battery to the negative of the other, both have 5.5 bullets, and you have a 46.2v/8ah battery pack charged! You too need to buy a charger. I like the iMax B6ac to charge both batteries. You too can use outside balancers when charging. Cost around $225.

Now do a simple wire job using 10awg wires coming off the controller, or lower contact, then solder 5.5mm bullets to connect to the battery. The battery only weights 5lbs & sits in the side compartment. You too can parallel a similar 2 pack for a 16ah 10lb battery. If your skilled enough you could put the lithium pack or use 18650 cells in the stock original battery case, but you will be limited to the 42v charger…..unless…..

The stock controller is still used, though they get warm using around 50v. :)

Then purchase a 46t (largest you can use) front chainring on ebay, and a 11t/30t rear freewheel for increased pedaling speed. You will of course need the tools to do this upgrade.

The performance will increase from 18mph to around 22/23mph with an increase in range over the heavy low cycle POS SLA.

I too would suggest replacing the stock 14 year old tires with Kenda K838 (26x1.95) from Amazon.com.

Only focus on the EVG 36v versions (LE/SX/PE) or the 36v lithium folders. The 24v are to slow (11/12mph) & the controllers are very weak. Though you can use their 400watt rear hub on the 36v/46v bikes, but you will not have any torque, but nice top end speed.

The rear heinzmann brushed hub is noisy, but the weak link is the press in one-way bearing used. Allowing anyone heavy, to ride the bike, will spin it & the rear hub is now worthless. Hence why so many PE (Police Edition) are in like new condition when sold @ auction! I'm working on a fix.

Anyone with the EVG 36v lithium folder can upgrade the front chainring, rear freewheel and find a 36v donor ebike for the lights/controller++.

Need anymore suggestions to extend the life of these older, and cheap, ebikes?

Hey Jim, a friend named Kit Babcock just replied on the video review I shot for an ebike by EV Global and included tips on updating the battery pack. Here's what he wrote, hope this helps you!

Jim…it's simple to convert to lithium poly. Do you have the original battery box? You can install the lithium batteries in the box.

If not, you will need to remove the side cases, by having the tool to remove the pedals/crank and a phillips for the sides case screws.

You may too want to check that your throttle connection is secure on the right side, many have disconnected from folding the bike. Hence why just replacing the battery by original owners, they still don't have a throttle response. A design flaw. I've used tie-strips to secure the connection.

Now you simply follow the lower battery connector to the controller for the positive and negative connections. Have enough 10awg wire to make the length to the battery box for a + & - wire. Remove the screws & secure both wires. Solder 5.5mm bullets to the opposite ends to match the battery.

Purchase a couple of lithium batteries here…. ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 4S1P

These are two 14.6v batteries, that when connected in series (connect pos to neg) you will get 29.2v (8x3.65v) or 33.6v (8x4.2v)/8ah charged. Duct tape them together. They fit in the box area easily. You will note you could even add another twin pack, in parallel, and have a 33.6v/16ah battery pack for increased range.

Add a charger….I suggest & use this one: IMAX B6-AC Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells

BTW, it's common for a "spark" when you connect the lithium battery pack to the wires from the controller you made. The stock battery box has a capacitor to minimize the spark when you install it.

Before you order the batteries/charger, verify the voltage limit on the capacitors on your 24v mini controller. I'm not sure of the limit on the 24v ebikes, as my two 36v folders have 100v on the stock controller, so it's not an issue. The 24v full size ebikes only have 25v capacitors. I know for sure the rear 24v/400watt hub can handle up to 50v. Because the stock 36v lithium mini models have 24v hubs!

I'd also suggest you increase the small 32t'ish front chain gear with a crank with a 46t + and replace the rear freewheel with a 11t/30t for top end pedaling.

The lithium batteries, being only 5 lbs & 33.6v, vs the stock 20lb & 27.2v will give you increased speed & range.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Sorry I just made it back to the site. I do have the original battery box. My throttle connection is OK but I will secure it better. If I do get the charger you suggest, will it work with one twin pact or also with two twin packs if I decide to go that route? I want to be sure not to hook it up wrong. I will try to find the voltage limit on the capacitors next.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim…if you want to keep it simple, just purchase a couple of 12v/10ah lithium batteries to replace the stock 12v/10ah SLA in your stock EVG bike battery box. Shop price to keep the cost down. :)

The stock 24v EVG mini ebikes @ 24v are slugs.

Better to update by loosing the stock 24v controller and replace with a EVG bike 36v controller/throttle…and better yet to find a donor bike and use it's front/rear/horn with stock 36v controller. You will need to be skilled a bit. The stock 24v/400 watt rear hub can take 46v with the above HK lithium battery packs.

Another option is to find a later Ultra Motors Europa throttle/controller and use these for around 22mph on level ground. Use the HK 46v/8ah battery pack. You will also want to also replace the front chainring with a 46t one, and replace the rear 5spd freewheel with a 7spd 11t-28-30t freewheel for high speed assisted pedaling. :)

just found this thread, I just picked up a 36v mini ebike for my wife, but am finding it a blast to drive, so I may look for another. I fly RC planes so am very familiar with Lipo batteries. Given that the hub motor is being over driven already, do they hold up OK? I threw a 9 cell pack in last night with an eagle tree monitor and it was drawing over 1000watts on acceleration! I am just starting to remove the side plastics and was surprised how tiny the stock controller is. Will it hold up to this? or was the stock nimh battery suppose to sag a bit? I don't want to blow the hub. How many cells are you running? I was initially thinking 8 cells, but the low voltage cut on the controller hits at 29v or 3.6V per cell, not allowing for full capacity usage. Also, here is a very cheap Hobby king 4 cell pack, I was thinking about 2 or 4 of these to get short or longer range, but if I need 9 cells, then that might not work.

I have flown these cells and have some that are 3 years old and still work well.

turnigy-battery-cell.jpg

Turnigy Hard Case Lipoly packs deliver full capacity at the said C rate.
You wont find a better deal in Hard Case Lithium Polymer batteries anywhere!

Hardcase packs are a must for RC Car enthusiasts. The case helps to ensure that the batteries can stand up to the added stress and shock associated with R/C vehicles.

Spec.
Minimum Capacity: 5000mAh
Configuration: 4S1P / 14.8v / 4Cell
Constant Discharge: 20C
Peak Discharge (20sec): 30C
Max Charge Rate: 5c
Pack Weight: 528g
Pack Size: 139 x 45 x 44mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge plug: 4mm Bullet-connector

Thanks!

Lupy….even the later EVG 36v mini ebikes used the labeled 24v/400watt rear hub.

I've run the 24v rated hubs @ 50v, with the stock 36v controllers, which they don't like that much, so I've backed off and use a 11 cell/8ah Turnigy Nano Tech 22.2v/8ah (6 cell) & 18.5v/8ah (5 cell) battery pack for a charged 46.2v brick. The mini battery box can hold a 3 pack, so I double up w/2 18.5v/8ah batteries and one 22.2v/8ah battery.

You could run 3 of the above 14.8v batteries, hooked in series for a 50.4v/5ah battery. Though the stock 36v controller & hub will get warm & scream (beeps) a bit, but should be ok for short quick "wheelie" runs. :)

I regularly use the 3 pack (46.2v/8ah) for 12 mile runs, w/all of my 17 EVG ebikes, riding 6 miles uphill and then 6 miles downhill for my cardio workouts. Speeds are around 19.5 mph. And have been using these type batteries for the last 3 years.

But, to be fair, my ebike of choice to ride is one of my 8 Tidalforce bikes, using the same 46.2v 3/12ah or 4/16ah pack with the HK Turnigy Nano Tech Lithium Poly batteries. My level runs are 31.5mph (195lbs), and 35+mph on a slight downhill pedaling.

SideBest-360kb.jpg

wow, I had no idea the stock controller would hold up to 50V. Since my wife will be riding it mostly, I think I will stick with 9 or maybe 10 cells for now. I routinely disassemble packs, so it shouldn't be a problem getting something to work. I like the 4cell 5ah batteries must because they are so cheap. Did you take out the 40 amp fuse in the battery box? I would think you are running higher burst currents than that on 11 cells.

I will keep an eye out for the Tidalforce.

This looks interesting and informative, except I can't tell which recommendations may be for 24v and which are only for 36v versions. Hope someone can clarify.

Ronald….if you have a 24v mini, then you can only go to 29.2v, and if you have a 36v mini then you can go to 46.2v lithium battery packs.

The 24v mini's are TOO SLOW, so update them with a EVG ebike stock controller and use a 46.2v (charged) lithium battery pack, or purchase a cheapy chinese 36v brushed controller and throttle.

I'm getting ready to install a stock 36v controller/throttle off a Tres Terra (replace EVG) Europa/Calipso to see how it works on a fourth EVG mini, with it's 20" wheel, I purchased yesterday.

What version do you have?

kualkit - I forgot to mention that mine is the full size 24v EVG bike, not mini, if that makes a difference. But why are you recommending 46.2v if I can only go to 29.2v, or did I misread something? But anyway, I keep reading that these Heinzmanns will take at least 50% more voltage than rated, though the controller will not.

Ron….the stock 24v controller in both the full size and mini will only take a 29.2v (lithium) or less battery. Stock being around 27v in a SLA battery (2@12v/8 or 10ah). And yes, the 24v/400watt rear brushed/geared hub is able to take more voltage, even up to 100%, though keep your amps @ 22'ish & below. I'm using a 46.2v battery pack, with the stock EVG 36v controller, as I too want to use the stock light setup.

Are you comfortable with around 12mph (27v-29.2v charged) using the stock controller on your bike?

I have a few of the full size 24v versions. And even wired a 24v (29v charged) lithium battery box off a chinese ezip that fits nicely in the side compartment that the kids ride. I would never used SLA again.

For top end pedaling, you will want to install a 46t front chainring/crankset, with slight side case trimming, and a 11t-30t rear free wheel. Special tools are required for both upgrades.

I'd upload a photo or three, but my iPhone photos are too large to upload here.

Last edited:
Jim…it's simple to convert to lithium poly. Do you have the original battery box? You can install the lithium batteries in the box.

If not, you will need to remove the side cases, by having the tool to remove the pedals/crank and a phillips for the sides case screws.

You may too want to check that your throttle connection is secure on the right side, many have disconnected from folding the bike. Hence why just replacing the battery by original owners, they still don't have a throttle response. A design flaw. I've used tie-strips to secure the connection.

Now you simply follow the lower battery connector to the controller for the positive and negative connections. Have enough 10awg wire to make the length to the battery box for a + & - wire. Remove the screws & secure both wires. Solder 5.5mm bullets to the opposite ends to match the battery.

Purchase a couple of lithium batteries here…. ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 4S1P

These are two 14.6v batteries, that when connected in series (connect pos to neg) you will get 29.2v (8x3.65v) or 33.6v (8x4.2v)/8ah charged. Duct tape them together. They fit in the box area easily. You will note you could even add another twin pack, in parallel, and have a 33.6v/16ah battery pack for increased range.

Add a charger….I suggest & use this one: IMAX B6-AC Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells

BTW, it's common for a "spark" when you connect the lithium battery pack to the wires from the controller you made. The stock battery box has a capacitor to minimize the spark when you install it.

Before you order the batteries/charger, verify the voltage limit on the capacitors on your 24v mini controller. I'm not sure of the limit on the 24v ebikes, as my two 36v folders have 100v on the stock controller, so it's not an issue. The 24v full size ebikes only have 25v capacitors. I know for sure the rear 24v/400watt hub can handle up to 50v. Because the stock 36v lithium mini models have 24v hubs!

I'd also suggest you increase the small 32t'ish front chain gear with a crank with a 46t + and replace the rear freewheel with a 11t/30t for top end pedaling.

The lithium batteries, being only 5 lbs & 33.6v, vs the stock 20lb & 27.2v will give you increased speed & range.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Wait. I have the battery box. I can just drop in newer style batteries?

Potentially, Paul Z; be aware that there were 2 versions of the Folding Mini, a 24V SLA version and a 36V NiMH version, so you will need to make sure the voltage matches. Also, you'll need to change out the controller & throttle to match the lithium.

Can anyone please help me? Would like to know what year and approximate value of this E-V Global ebike. I have looked but cannot find it anywhere. Thanks. If you want you can email me at [email protected].
20170706_125735.jpg
20170706_125735.jpg
1499444490100-2066476447.jpg
1499444645630-397868959.jpg
20170706_125735.jpg
1499444645630-397868959.jpg

Can anyone please help me? Would like to know what year and approximate value of this E-V Global ebike. I have looked but cannot find it anywhere. Thanks. If you want you can email me at [email protected].View attachment 17250 View attachment 17250 View attachment 17251 View attachment 17252 View attachment 17250 View attachment 17252

This isn't a 2000 range EVG ebike, but looks like an early iZip....I have a 2009 range iZip Trailz that uses the same rear electric motor and had SLA in a rear rack battery box, though I've replaced it with 7s/10ah lipo. It works great with the rear wheel gear upgrade for 20mph, and for running the dogs!

Try your questions here.....

https://www.facebook.com/izipusa/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Back