Handlebar frame clip loose

WonkyBass

Not a big problem but worth checking as it’s hard to fix at the roadside. The clip on the front fork that holds the handlebar stem closed has come loose but access to the Allen bolt to tighten it is made difficult because the controller for the electrics blocks access. I will have to find a short key or cut one down to fit. The one in the Brompton tool kit is too long to reach.

Attachments

• 92CA149D-1D57-481E-9840-7B08CBC36E2A.jpeg
    92CA149D-1D57-481E-9840-7B08CBC36E2A.jpeg
    797.1 KB · Views: 664
This is a bit of a pain to fix. Access to the 6mm Allen bolt is severely restricted by the controller and battery mount. My Allen wrench requires 30+mm clearance but only about half this is available on the bike. I could dismantle and try to remove the controller to get access but I don’t fancy this on such a new bike for a trivial fix. I have therefore ordered a set of stubby hex wrenches which I hope will give the clearance needed. I read that these can be useful for general brake block adjustment anyway.

UPDATE:- ummm... my son took one look at the problem and said “Turn the handlebars Dad”! This gives access to the Allen bolt with a conventional wrench or indeed the one in the Brompton toolkit. So, not such a pain to fix after all!

Last edited:
Just made new account to say thanks! I had this same issue and spent 30 mins trying to tighten the screw. Need to unfold the bike fully so the handlebar can be turned so the screw is accessible.

I've also registered an account to say thanks. I started to dismantle the electric block above before deciding there must be an alternative. And then I found this thread saying to just turn the handlebars, duh! Thank you!

Back