Copy from "Compare" forum, re Athens

irenewg13

Region
USA
City
MadCity, Peoples Republic of Madison
Hi,

F 5'4" 145
During this past week, I have asked many questions in these forums. I was considering and did purchase an EG Athens. This is my first e bike, so I was/am a newby. I have ridden the bike 2x, urban, but not in heavy taffic, ~ 14 total miles. My comments:

The bike had more power and response than I would have expected, from other's comments.
I only used the peddles in the first of 3 power levels, and had to coast often, in order to ride at an appropriate speed... no cars, city street.
I almost exclusively used gears 5, 6, and 7, for streets, 4 and 5 for moderate hills, with some throttle assist (my need)
My street is at the top of ~7% grade hill. I had been told that an Athens probably couldn't get up this hill, or would have much difficulty in attempting it.
I wanted to see how the trottle handle it: I started to slow by maybe 1/2 speed, about 1/2 way up, I started pedaling in the lowest power, and made it just fine. Not inching along, I wouldn't have wanted to go any faster.
Due to my own need, I used just the throttle for about the last 2 miles.
When I got home, all 4 of my battery lights were still on.

I didn't like the way it gears down. The lever that one needs to press with a thumb was tight, so I used the heel of my hand. Gearing up is a button, and works well.
The fork post has suspension, but not the seat post. I think all bikes should have some!

Last edited:
Irene,
Let us know if we can help you pick the right bike.
Most of the E-bikes with 350W motor will have enough power to take you up 7% grade hill.
If you have neck, spine issues, we suggest you try something with adjustable stem like Easy Motion EVO Street or EVO City.

Thanks,
I bought an Athens
That was my owners review

Irene,
Let us know if we can help you pick the right bike.
Most of the E-bikes with 350W motor will have enough power to take you up 7% grade hill.
If you have neck, spine issues, we suggest you try something with adjustable stem like Easy Motion EVO Street or EVO City.

Back