Raleigh Redux IE 2018- my review

Carterk

So, I started planning to buy an ebike a couple years ago after riding my cousin’s Stromer. I live in Seattle and covet the ability to get up the hills I used to climb 40 lbs ago... looking for something that would serve for errands around town and summer fun rides up to 50 miles or so. I rode a 2016 Turbo (base model) and was sorely disappointed not to feel the surge of uphill power the Stromer provided, but don’t have a budget to fit that bike. I knew I wanted to buy an established make bike from a LBS that would provide good support and a solid warranty. I rode a Giant Quick-e and liked it a lot- but then the Vados came out. Mission Control sounded fantastic, and (like the Quick-e) I liked the integrated lights, fenders and slick little rack. I rented a Vado 3.0 twice from Bicycle Sport Shop in Austin, and just loved the smooth, quiet ride. I was able to climb the steepest hills I could find without lifting my butt out of the saddle. I felt like I’d made up my mind, except that I kept seeing reports on EBR about motor problems and (more significantly) flaky support from Specialized. Plus, well, Mission Control :-(.

I’d looked at Court’s review of the Redux and was intrigued- it’s a better looking bike than the Vado (imho), it’s a bit cheaper, and the battery’s slightly larger, and has the same Brose motor. I was psyched to try it when I saw it at my LBS and bought it after a couple test rides. I was concerned at first about the lack of suspension, but that’s proven to be a non-issue. I’ve always been a skinny tire guy, but the 2.4” Super Moto X tires feel great and (again, in my opinion) negate any need for suspension when riding on asphalt. The bike feels solid (duh, it’s over 50 lbs., but still) and quiet- there’s no fender rattle AT ALL. The kickstand stopped making noise when I glued a small piece of rubber to where it was making contact- that’s my most significant mod.

I liked the 2017 paint better- the 2018 has bright green accents that undoubtedly help with nighttime visibility. They changed the chain guard on the crank, the 2018 is much nicer. I think the 2017 had a Transx suspension stem and seatpost, those are gone on the 2018- apparently they didn’t do much anyway. 2018 has nicer ergo grips. The ride feels very similar to the Vado- no surprise since it has the same Brose motor. I love the smooth quiet support, which gets me up every hill I’ve attempted without pain. The motor will very ocassionally ‘drop out’ for a split second, usually while climbing in the highest assist level, but this is very infrequent, and may be because I’ve unconsciously let the torque drop. Like someone else has noted, the lowest assist level is really only useful when going downhill, leaving the bike, really, with only 2 useful settings. Like the Vado, pedaling without assist feels like riding through sand and is unpleasant. There’s a walk mode, which is nice.

I’ve been getting about 4.5 miles for each of the 10 ticks on the battery meter. I wish that meant it had a 45 mile range, but since I try to get home with 20% it’s more like 35 miles. It’s hilly wherever I go- maybe range will improve in warmer weather. Actually, I’m convinced the computer is reporting slighter greater distance and slightly higher speed than I’m actually traveling, so these estimates are probably a little high.

I bought a small, and it’s a little tight. It’s hard to get the battery in and out of the frame, and even hard to get the charging plug on the battery when it’s mounted in the frame. Mounting a water bottle cage on the provided braze-ons makes removing the battery very difficult. I like the display, which is bright and mounted well, and the controls, which are simple and effective. As others have noted, a range estimator would be nice, as would seeing distances and speed with tenths displayed. I wish the computer showed cadence. I love that it’s removable, and it charges my iPhone reliably.

Overall I’m very happy- riding this bike is a dream, and I can’t wait to put some real rides on it this summer. I’ll post some pictures soon and am happy to answer any questions.

...I’d looked at Court’s review of the Redux and was intrigued- it’s a better looking bike than the Vado (imho), it’s a bit cheaper, and the battery’s slightly larger, and has the same Brose motor...

Nice. I've been checking out this bike lately. Yes, it is better looking (to me) than the Vado. With Court's recent videos with the Brose guys and on the Brose motor, he about has me sold that my next commuter bike purchase should be a Brose bike. And this is one of the few Brose commuter style bikes available in the US. It's a great looking bike. I'll be eager to hear your experience with the Brose and your thoughts on the bike's components.

I was a bit confused looking at Raleigh's website: it seems they don't have a dealer network anymore? I tried to find a dealer locator for them and wasn't successful.

On another thought, I think Raleigh is affiliated with IZIP? And it looked to me like the IZIP Moda 3 is very similar to the 2018 Redux IE? They are priced identically as well. Anyway, great purchase and look forward to pics and some review.

My understanding is that Raleigh would love to sell you a bike online, but I had no problem finding a local dealer here in Seattle. Yes, the iZip Moda looks pretty identical.

I forgot to say a couple things. One, many of the contributors here talk about it being easy to maintain speeds of 25-28mph on their ebikes. I’m 56 and pretty overweight, and I really can’t say that about this bike, at least in my puny condition. Seattle’s not got a whole lot of flat so it’s difficult to say exactly what speed I find easy to maintain... maybe 18-20 in tour mode, 20- 23 in Sport (highest)? That’s if my computer is reporting accurate speeds. Climbing hills in Sport I don’t think I’ve slowed below 8-9mph on the steepest hills. On the other hand, *this is exactly what I wanted*. I understand some people need to hit and maintain those high speeds, especially on a long commute. Me, I just wanted help with the hills and that unearned Superman feeling of traveling just a bit faster than normal with just a bit less effort.

The other thing I’ll mention is the brakes. Earlier I talked about the solid feeling of the Redux- that’s especially apparent at high speeds, and the brakes are no small part of that. They’re four piston hydraulics, and I can’t imagine them operating any better than they do. Truth be told, I’d never ridden with hydraulic disc brakes before (my road bike has 20 yr old Ultegra sidepulls) but these brakes are quiet and sure.

Finally, a philosophical point. For decades bike development has focused on making frames, wheels, tires and components lighter, for good reason. Ebikes have been in serious development for... ten years? Seems to me that we’re starting to see dawning comprehension that an ebike is not a year 2000 bicycle with a motor added, but a different animal entirely. The fact that most ebikes weigh 2 to 3 times what a road bike does is not simply a drawback to be worked around but a fact that carries significant implications and suggests designers make choices that take that weight (and strength, tube size, etc.) into account. All of which is just a long winded way to say that I think Raleigh was very smart to combine this rigid fork with these big road tires, and I expect to see big tires more common on speed pedelecs in the future.

@Carterk - Thanks for your helpful post. I've been idly considering this bike for my commute and now have a good reason to go take a test ride.

Regarding speed: I have several decades of road bike experience (now on my 4th season of e-commuting) and I consider biking in urban traffic at 25+ mph borderline irresponsible. I feel much more relaxed, safe and in-control at 18mph, maybe boosting up to 22 on a late night return trip with empty roads. I think many of the folks talking about cruising at 28 are doing so in less populous areas over longer distances.

I also agree that a solid fork and fatter tires is the way to go, reducing complexity & maintenance and increasing longevity. Pretty much all bicycle suspension systems wear significantly over a small number of years, whereas a fully rigid bike can last decades.

Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if you could give an updated review of your Raleigh Redux? I just bought an iZip Moda (same bike I believe) the old one with the Brose motor. I only have 100 miles on it because I bought it on a black friday sale after Thanksgiving and we had a crappy winter here in Wisconsin.

I have been searching for a review of either Raleigh Redux or iZip Moda where someone has a lot of miles on it. I have over 3500 miles on my previous e-bike (a Diamondback Lindau) and it has been completely problem free (just flat tires).

I saw some posts with people having motors wear out or break with the Brose motors on the Specialized Vado and I was wondering if same was true on Raleigh Redux and iZip moda.

Thank you,
Rick

I wish I could tell you I’d put 4000 miles on my Redux. No such luck. On the other hand, it remains trouble-free after 700 miles. I counseled a friend to buy a 2018 Moda last month at the fire-sale price of $2250- wish I’d gotten that deal. I still love the bike. Enjoy yours!

Hi Carter,

Thanks for the update. I will let you know when I have more miles on mine too.

I think I may alternate between my old Lindau e-bike and the new iZip Moda for commuting to work. The Lindau is better for going to work, but the Moda is WAY better for going on bike rides with other people. My beef with the Lindau is that it really didn't work well for going on a bike ride with other people who didn't have e-bikes. I haven't tested it yet, but I believe that the Moda will work great going for a ride with others. Basically with the Lindau I had to turn the motor off, or pedal-coast-pedal-coast because it always tried to go too fast for people I wanted to bike with.

But, when I commute to work the Lindau is perfect because I go basically 16 mph the entire way to work whether flat or up hills on the lowest assist level which is very nice. But a lot of my friends can't maintain 16 mph over an entire bike trip. I think with the Moda it will be no problem to match speed to someone else.

Thanks,
Rick

Ok, so I am very excited to report an extremely successful upgrade to my Redux. For $50, my bike shifts quieter and more smoothly than before. It’s almost like a different bike! What did I do?

I swapped out the chain.

That’s right. I’m now rocking a KMC e10 EPC ebike-specific chain. It’s a shocking difference. To be honest, I wonder why Raleigh didn’t start with a chain like this, it makes such a noticeable difference.

Ok, so I am very excited to report an extremely successful upgrade to my Redux. For $50, my bike shifts quieter and more smoothly than before. It’s almost like a different bike! What did I do?

I swapped out the chain.

That’s right. I’m now rocking a KMC e10 EPC ebike-specific chain. It’s a shocking difference. To be honest, I wonder why Raleigh didn’t start with a chain like this, it makes such a noticeable difference.
I’ve also noticed with my Lore that with an ebike, you really DO have to clean and oil the chain after every few rides. I noticed a big difference in my Bikes performance when I began doing that.
The chain had started getting noisy and shifting wasn’t as smooth. First thought the derailleur needed adjusting. Cleaned and oiled the chain- it was like a different bike.

What is the best way to clean and oil chain? What oil do you use? Does this involve removing and soaking chain or just wiping down, etc?

My bike tech says To leave it alone and keep it lubricated if it starts making noise. If it needs more than that, then remove it from the bike and soak it in a solvent. He says to Never spray any solvent on the chain or on the bike. The solvent can work its way into the sealed wheel bearings and ruin the bike. In his decades of fixing bicycles he said that more people damage their bikes by over cleaning then by taking a more casual approach.??

My bike tech says To leave it alone and keep it lubricated if it starts making noise. If it needs more than that, then remove it from the bike and soak it in a solvent. He says to Never spray any solvent on the chain or on the bike. The solvent can work its way into the sealed wheel bearings and ruin the bike. In his decades of fixing bicycles he said that more people damage their bikes by over cleaning then by taking a more casual approach.??
That’s good to know. I also worry about spray on cleaner working it’s way into the motor.

What is the best way to clean and oil chain? What oil do you use? Does this involve removing and soaking chain or just wiping down, etc?
I use a dry lubricant (WD 40 makes a special one for bikes) because I live in a very dry, dusty area. I don’t do much off road.

I’ve also noticed with my Lore that with an ebike, you really DO have to clean and oil the chain after every few rides. I noticed a big difference in my Bikes performance when I began doing that.
The chain had started getting noisy and shifting wasn’t as smooth. First thought the derailleur needed adjusting. Cleaned and oiled the chain- it was like a different bike.

Your Lore is one good looking bike !

Hello guys! Newbie to the group here. I thought I'd post my experience of my Redux IE if that's ok.

I have a 2019 model that I bought last May and so far I have put over 4000 miles on it. In that time I have had 2 chains, 2 sets of brake pads and I'm on my first set of new tires (after a recent rear puncture).

A couple of problems I have encountered with the bike was when the bike stopped with an error message on the display E503 which I had to reset the display to allow me to get home.
I took it to the local dealer where I got the bike and they identified a battery cable had been pinched inside the frame and ordered a replacement.
I got that fitted under warranty a week later and it's been fine since.
The other problem was that not long after I got the bike, the front light stopped working. Fairly sure it was a break in the cable leading to the light from the bike. That got replaced under warranty but it took almost
5 months to arrive!
I use the bike for commuting to work on a round trip of 110 miles a week and it performs very well. I tested a Giant and a Yamaha bike but as soon as I set off on the Raleigh I knew that was the bike I wanted!
It's SO much more comfortable and smooth compared to the other two.
On the flat I've clocked just over 30mph and downhill, 40.5mph! Range has dropped a bit since I first got the bike to the point where now it will do just about 19-20 miles on full Turbo assist and the longest I've managed
is 36 miles on one battery charge using all levels of assist but mostly "Touring" level.
Screenshot_20200829-151104_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200829-151121_Gallery.jpg

Hello guys! Newbie to the group here. I thought I'd post my experience of my Redux IE if that's ok.

I have a 2019 model that I bought last May and so far I have put over 4000 miles on it. In that time I have had 2 chains, 2 sets of brake pads and I'm on my first set of new tires (after a recent rear puncture).

A couple of problems I have encountered with the bike was when the bike stopped with an error message on the display E503 which I had to reset the display to allow me to get home.
I took it to the local dealer where I got the bike and they identified a battery cable had been pinched inside the frame and ordered a replacement.
I got that fitted under warranty a week later and it's been fine since.
The other problem was that not long after I got the bike, the front light stopped working. Fairly sure it was a break in the cable leading to the light from the bike. That got replaced under warranty but it took almost
5 months to arrive!
I use the bike for commuting to work on a round trip of 110 miles a week and it performs very well. I tested a Giant and a Yamaha bike but as soon as I set off on the Raleigh I knew that was the bike I wanted!
It's SO much more comfortable and smooth compared to the other two.
On the flat I've clocked just over 30mph and downhill, 40.5mph! Range has dropped a bit since I first got the bike to the point where now it will do just about 19-20 miles on full Turbo assist and the longest I've managed
is 36 miles on one battery charge using all levels of assist but mostly "Touring" level.View attachment 63851View attachment 63852
I am in My infancy of looking for electric bike. However this bike has caught my eye. Going to a local bike shop today to hopefully test drive one. Thanks for your review

Thanks BigJim!

I hope it was of some use. Let me know if there is anything inparticular that you would like to know about the bike and I will try to answer if I can.

I just remembered that I forgot to mention that the original fitment pedals literally broke up after about 9 months of use! They were replaced with these snazzy STAMP pedals. (Much better)

I also fitted fender extenders to the front fender as the original one is a bit short front and rear and still allowed water to spray over my feet and in my face from the front of the fender due to wind blowing
excess water upwards.

I've found that the battery will simply "cut out" when it gets to 5% remaining and due to the reduction gearing on the mid drive motor it means it's quite hard pedaling! (This has only occurred 1 time though. I don't like to let it get that low normally)

If anyone on this post needs parts for their 2018 Redux IE or iZIP Moda let me know. The battery on my Redux IE got wet and is dead. I can’t find a replacement from any source. I would sell the motor, controller, brake system or other parts. Very disappointing that Raleigh would abandon their user base like this!

Long term opinion. I got the bike in 2018. Now has 4K miles on it. Overall a well thought out nicely specd bike. No complaints on the ride quality, power, noise level etc. My only somewhat major complaint is, at around 2K the Brose motor was making nasty noises. I sent it out to https://ebikemotorrepair.com/ . Two of the sprags (freewheeling mechanism) had failed and the belt was about to. They rebuilt the motor with upgraded parts. Not an inexpensive proposition. Apparently this is (was) a quite common problem with these motors. Brose support in the USA is pretty much nonexistent and Raleigh was no longer in the US market. Ebike Motor Repair did a great job on the rebuild and it has been running better than new for the last 2K miles.

Back