Ford teams up with Pedego to create the Supercruiser Electric Bike

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! I'm moving some content off of the main site and into the most relevant categories of the forum. This post was originally made on August 25th 2012:

ford-and-pedego-ebike.jpg

Today at Interbike in Las Vegas Nevada, Ford Motor Company and Pedego Electric Bikes showed off a brand new electric bike called the Supercruiser that will be available starting in early 2014! In recent years Ford has become known for their electronics and gadgets integrated into car stereo and navigation systems. They’ve also started offering more hybrid and full electric cars including the Fusion, C-Max and Focus but this will be their first mass market electric bike.

ford-supercruiser-electric-bike.jpgford-supercruiser-seat.jpg

Back in 2011 Ford was tinkering with ebikes and even showcased a concept bike in Germany. By teaming up with the leading US based electric bike company, Pedego, they can actually deliver a high quality system with proven drive and battery components to the American and Canadian public. This design was approved by Ford and apparently barely made it to the show, the prototype was shipped straight from Ford HQ in Dearborn Michigan.

The Ford Supercruiser is built around a similar battery and motor as the Pedego Trail Tracker, the most powerful electric bike in Pedego’s lineup. While most mainstream ebikes run off of a 350 or 500 watt hub motor the Supercruiser uses a geared 600 watt motor! The battery pack delivers 48 volts of power with 10 amp hours of capacity and is mounted directly onto the rear fender. The bike design comes from Tony Ellsworth who crafted a similar non-electric bike in 2007 called “The Ride”. In addition to electric drive, this bike offers seven pedaling gears and uses a simple twist shifter on the left handlebar.

The Supercruiser design is sleek and reminiscent of a cruiser style motorcycle with oversized fork, forward bottom bracket with more relaxed pedaling position and enlarged leather seat for comfort. The large balloon tires help to absorb shock and the handlebars are adjustable up-down and forward-back. Wires and cables are integrated to stay out of the way and the bike looks amazing in flat black… much like the original Model T that Henry Ford so famously offered in “any color as long as it’s black”. The Supercruiser will be available in the US and Canada at Ford and Pedego outlets for $3,595 early next year so keep your eyes out! I’ve been offered an exclusive test ride tomorrow at the show and will be putting a video review together shortly thereafter here on the site so check back soon!
On September 19th 2013 Pedego issued an official press release at www.prlog.org and on September 20th Electric Bike Review completed an exclusive video review of the Ford ebike at https://electricbikereview.com/ford/supercruiser/

Last edited:
Following are some of the original comments that were made on that post:

JERRY GATLIN
Hello good day to whom it may concern, I Jerry Gatlin am contacting you to make a Future Suggestion, I think Electric Bicyles should have front n rear Suspension System for Los Angeles California Pot Holes, Plus I think the should have Left n Right turn signals on them like a Motorcycle since Bicyles look a like Motorcycles. 9-19-13…

DAVID MEYER
10 amp hour at 48 volts with a 600 watt motor means less than 1 hour run time

RANGE DOG G
Unless I use it regularly, it’s beyond my budget for bicycles. Yet it maybe worth using for environmental awareness over the regular scooters. The French have the Motobecane and I wonder when they might have an electric model.

JOHN
Needs shock absorbers and lights. Great concept and looks!

KAIT
Give me a decent touring bike any day of the week with tried, true, and rugged components. Electric/pedal hybrids still don’t make any sense for anyone besides disabled/geriatric/out of shape folk with money to burn. Also, with a battery pack taking up prime real estate like that where am I supposed to mount a rack to carry my gear?

RAD
I am neither out of shape or geriatric, but I ride an electric bike. I have for the last 7 years/11,000 miles. After the initial payment, fuel cost is less than $.01 per mile. I get to work quicker, no sweat. I pedal some on the way home. The bike replaced our second car. No car payment, no gas, no insurance, plates… When something does go wrong, I can repair it myself.

DA.B
In my opinion there is a whole lot more than 1 hour of ride time, GUARANTEED, suggestion for you… go ride one if you haven’t! Exactly as Pedego’s mantra is, Hello Fun is a GUARANTEE as well. Test ride or rent one then spend the money if you dare and have fun.

B.DAVE
I own two THiNK FUN FORD electric bicycles.One is working but the other has controller issues .I cannot find the controller anywhere. Ford did not establish customer support and avalibility of parts supply when needed. I am not sure if FORD will do the same if the new SUPERCRUISER has same issues after purchase. If any information is available for THiNK bike parts supplier I would appreciate. DAVE

COURT
Hi Dave, I’m sorry to hear about the lack of support for your Think Fun Ford electric bike. I do not know where to get parts and have never actually seen one of these in person but you could ask in the Ford ebike forums and see if anyone knows? As far as the new Supercruiser, Ford has partnered with Pedego and I believe they will provide replacement parts and help with the warranty. Pedego is one of the early US ebike brands that has become a leader and offers great support.

Back