Ridekick Power Trailer Sold Out through 2014

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a big fan of the Ridekick Power Trailer, it's a product designed to turn any normal bicycle or recumbent bike into an electric bike! It uses a regular skewer style trailer hitch attachment to connect at the rear axle and houses a motor, battery and control unit inside a locking aerodynamic shell.

ridekick-recumbent-electric-bike.jpg

The company recently sold out of their first generation model and is focused on refining the design and updating manufacturing. This pause will extend through 2014 but we should see one or possibly two new products in 2015 and the company is currently honoring all pre-existing Ridekick warranties!

Just wanted to share this update so people know what is going on. There are still Ridekick units for sale out there in the wild at a few independent bicycle dealers and on Craigslist or eBay but the company itself is sold out. To stay up to date with Ridekick sign up for their newsletter (at the top of their site).

How much of that trailer is empty (for groceries etc)? That's a pretty cool idea for outtings

Quite a bit James! Check out the video review below to see me cram a full sized grocery sack in. I've always thought it was a cool product... Check out 2:00 and 9:25 for the inside and bag fitting respectively ;)

Very cool buds. What's it range like? Top speed? (depending on the normal factors of course)
It really does seem like a viable piece of technology. My wife was stoked with the new child trailer... Since our youngest two are tanks!

Hey James, looks like the range on the standard Ridekick Power Trailer goes between 12 and 25 miles depending on if you get the standard Lead acid battery or upgrade to Lithium-ion. Top speed is ~19 miles per hour to comply with federal regulation. The upcoming child trailer looks like it's also being delayed so I can't say much about the specs but I did get to check it out late last year and wrote a blog article about it with some pictures and stuff. Hope this helps you out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the Ridekick Power Trailer, it's a product designed to turn any normal bicycle or recumbent bike into an electric bike! It uses a regular skewer style trailer hitch attachment to connect at the rear axle and houses a motor, battery and control unit inside a locking aerodynamic shell.

View attachment 511

The company recently sold out of their first generation model and is focused on refining the design and updating manufacturing. This pause will extend through 2014 but we should see one or possibly two new products in 2015 and the company is currently honoring all pre-existing Ridekick warranties!

Just wanted to share this update so people know what is going on. There are still Ridekick units for sale out there in the wild at a few independent bicycle dealers and on Craigslist or eBay but the company itself is sold out. To stay up to date with Ridekick sign up for their newsletter (at the top of their site).

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful since they seemed just to drop out with the announcement on their website that they would not be selling any products in 2014. That's a bummer for me because I was just about to pull the trigger on getting a Ridekick now. It's nice to know that they intend to stay in the business and that the timeout was not a prelude to quitting.

Glad it helped you out Wemble. I really like the Ridekick team and am excited for them to keep going as well. I feel like the must have spent a lot on marketing, trying to get the first product setup and then identifying the core user group (recumbent cyclists) but may have struggled with manufacturing. I think that's what they are really focused on now. Here's a fun video tour of their original facility in Loveland, Colorado which is kind of neat:

Yeah, like I said, it appeared to me (and I would guess others as well who didn't know otherwise) after reading te announcement on their website that they would sell no products in 2014 was just a prelude to going belly-up which is not that unusual for a new business. It now appears to be just the opposite. Now I just need to hold out until they have some new offerings. After watching the video at their plant about the new child trailer I thought it would be a great buy for a powered trailer of that size for under $1000 and I hope they can retain something of that value in the future when they start selling again.

I certainly was of the impression that they were dead and just not buried.
Seen way too many "closed for remodeling" signs, shorthand for "out of money and trying desperately to put something together to save it". Which almost never happens when the revenues stop!
I would have loved that for my trike and girlfriends bike but bought a Falco for the trike now. Oh well. :)

I ordered a new RideKick trailer last Friday and it was delivered today 01/25/17. I'd say they be doing alright.

Back