2024 Prodigy V2 XR 1000 mile Review

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
My Review of the 2024 Ride1Up Prodigy V2 XR (Chain Version)

After clocking 1000 miles on the V2, it's time for an update. Ride1Up has truly outdone themselves with this ebike. It’s robustly built, sports an excellent paint job, and features top-notch components. Powered by a Brose motor with 90nm of torque (offering 380% maximum motor support) and a 500-watt battery, this ebike is fast, rides smoothly, remains stable at high speeds, and is exceptionally comfortable.

The brakes on this bike are impressive, outperforming those on my Vado 4 and Trek 8s with strong stopping power regardless of speed. The unbranded air fork was a pleasant surprise, effortlessly absorbing bumps and cracks on the street and pavement. Additionally, the standard seat is the most comfortable I’ve ever used.

When considering this bike, I found a video review claiming 73 miles in Tour mode. One feature I love about the Brose system is the ability to manually adjust support levels to suit your battery needs. The ebike offers four PSA levels: Eco, Tour, Sport, and Boost. My settings are:
  • Eco = 15%
  • Tour = 25%
  • Sport = 37%
  • Boost = 80%
Range estimates based on these settings are:
  • Eco = 80 miles
  • Tour = 50-55 miles
  • Sport = 36 miles
  • Boost = 20 miles
With the 500w battery, these range estimates are similar to my previous Giant Fastroad Ex Pro, which also had a 500w battery. Even with Boost at 80%, the range isn’t great—at 100%, I’d probably get only 15 miles on a full charge. Given my fast-riding style, I mostly use Tour and Sport, avoiding Boost altogether. The battery size is one of two downsides in this otherwise excellent ebike priced at $2400. In comparison, my 2023 Vado 4, with 70nm of torque and a 710w battery, far outshines the V2 in range. The Vado 4, currently on sale for $2750, easily hits 90 miles in Eco mode. Specialized has maximized their Brose system, allowing for 50 miles in Sport mode with a 75/75 setting equating to 240% motor/battery support.

The other downside of the V2 is its 9-speed and 11-34 cassette. While it shifts smoothly, the bike would benefit from a 10 or 11-speed setup with an 11-42 cassette to handle big hills better, thereby conserving battery life.

In conclusion, I love the V2. It’s fun, fast, and comfortable. I removed the lights and fenders since I prefer not to have lights on all the time, and I use my other e-bikes for bad weather. The V2 is unbeatable for the price, and a spare battery costs only $400. For a 20-mile round trip commute, it handles easily even in Boost mode. Ride1Up deserves kudos for delivering a superb ebike at a bargain price. High quality at a low price—two thumbs up!

20240520_173705.jpg

Back